The Dark Horse, Vertigo, Image, Indie, & Miscellaneous Thread

Started by Talavar, July 18, 2009, 11:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Shocker

I meant to post this sooner, but the newest news for the Ghosbusters comic is that in October there will a 4 issue Ghostbusters/TMNT mini series! Oh yes. Written by the writers of both books and drawn by GB's artist Dan Shoening it's an 80's nostalgia crossover for my generation.

I'm not even close to caught up on IDW's TMNT comic but assuming the mini has little to do with the plots from that book I'll definitely be getting this. Otherwise I might wait for the trade. 
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

SickAlice

Good to know and thanks for the heads-up. That'll be on my list. I think I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum from you with IDW. I read everything TMNT they released but with Ghostbusters I only read the mini's and 1-shots and stopped just before the ongoing. I did of course pick up the later event tie-ins though (Infestation, X-Files and so on). That's my series with them I need to catch up in trade.

Current favorite indy book is Aphrodite IX. Actually it's my favorite book period. Or now it's Aphrodite IX-Cyberforce...this month. The new title thereafter will be IXth Generation. I of course suggest the read. There aren't really too many essential tie-ins as the book covers background in story and in the end caps. Helpful ones would be to of course read the whole run itself. The after-reboot Cyberforce ties in directly. Some knowledge of the series Artifacts and what events transpired as a result of Top Cow's company reboot will come into play, though again this will all be covered in the book itself .They'll even bother to actually give you a science class at the end of each issue explaining the every technology and physics used in each issue, so yeah you can get away with the series itself and Matt Hawkins will get your back.

Silver Shocker

Quote from: SickAlice on July 25, 2014, 04:49:11 PM
Good to know and thanks for the heads-up. That'll be on my list. I think I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum from you with IDW. I read everything TMNT they released but with Ghostbusters I only read the mini's and 1-shots and stopped just before the ongoing. I did of course pick up the later event tie-ins though (Infestation, X-Files and so on). That's my series with them I need to catch up in trade.

Well I can tell you this: the creators said in this article that the villain will be an appropriate TMNT villain, now with some kind of "ghost powers" and the only Ghostbusters characters in it other than the main four will be Janine and Kyle Griffin from the old 9os "Extreme Ghostbusters" cartoon, who was introduced into the comics a few years back and IMO is much better here than in that cartoon. There might be some cameos here and there. Splinter's being left out, April and Casey's making it in, "that's all they have time for", which I'm taking to mean that it's going to be a fairly simple get-in-get-out story. They also said they came up with a bunch of bits and exchanges they couldn't fit in.

Most importantly for TMNT readers, they've said that, like the other minis, it will set up future plot points for the ongoing.

If you liked the other Ghostbusters comics, I think you will like the ongoing even more. I read the 100-page sampler reprint from a few years back and I found most of the other books weren't nearly as good. The writers do have their own takes on the characters that are slightly off (but not necessarily bad IMO), there are a LOT of fanservice easter eggs moments for fans of the video games, movies and cartoons (many of the toys make it into background cameos). The latest issue was especially glorious for its nostalgic references and throwbacks. And the humor, tone and characterization is good for Ghostbusters. Venkman consistently gets the best lines.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

SickAlice

I made it to the comic shop. But my monthly issue pull is too high (it's getting ridiculous honestly, I should start making cuts) so I ad to pass on GB. It's still on high priority when I have the monies and time.

Pleased with the way the whole Kick-@$$! story wrapped. I was expecting get at least a little hornswaggled there but I don't think they could've ended it any more properly than they did. I wouldn't give it an award or anything but it didn't disappoint or leave me with anything hokey. I also noticed Bendis has a new Icon title called United States Of Murder. I scoffed at it just because I want him to work on Scarlet instead. Is that shallow of me? Yeah, most likely but I feel it anyways. I think Scarlet was the best thing he's written in years. I hated that it vaporized but originally figured he is stretched really thin over the Marvel franchises and comics as it is so it makes sense he wouldn't have the time. But then I see him on a different indy book? Bendis you've cheated on Scarlet you pig!  :banghead:

Silver Shocker

Quote from: SickAlice on August 09, 2014, 04:14:35 AM
I made it to the comic shop. But my monthly issue pull is too high (it's getting ridiculous honestly, I should start making cuts) so I ad to pass on GB. It's still on high priority when I have the monies and time.

Last year my pull list was so insanely high I was rocking 8 + books every few weeks and fell so behind in several books I actually read multiple issues of each in bulk. I later ended up dropping a few books I wasn't in love with and I now have the opposite problem - I barely have any new books to read  :P  I'm fairly confident that will change soon as I have some Marvel stuff coming up that will fill out my weeks nicely.

On the plus side, I'd had more time to get caught up in my trades, and I've been really enjoying that. 
~Rocky Balboa

SickAlice

If they wouldn't keep releasing line wide #1's/All New I probably wouldn't have the problem. I also got hooked on the big twos alternate universe titles last year, something I avoided in the past (The current Ultimates stuff is really strong though). I used to prefer the TPB format. More manageable and usually comes with bonus material. But years ago I convinced myself to donate my comics after I finished reading them, age appropriate stuff to children's hospitals of welfare houses and mature material to the troops, so I tend to be hesitant about dropping the cash on them now. Maybe I'll luck out and Comicology or whoever will put up the digital format of GB for free sometime when I have wifi again, or buy em if their cheap enough.

trebean

*Reads Invincible 113, instantly becomes happy then come to a sudden realization on how bad things are gonna get from now on, laughs and realizes that's impossible.... THINGS MANAGES TO GET WORSE.

Make mine Kirkman!

murs47

Quote from: trebean on August 12, 2014, 12:52:00 PM
*Reads Invincible 113, instantly becomes happy then come to a sudden realization on how bad things are gonna get from now on, laughs and realizes that's impossible.... THINGS MANAGES TO GET WORSE.

Make mine Kirkman!

The series took a bit of a downturn after the Viltrumite War. But this current arc, holy-moly! So epic! :thumbup:

detourne_me

Meanwhile the Walking Dead has been un characteristically optimistic lately... Wonde go long that will last?

trebean

Quote from: detourne_me on August 15, 2014, 05:50:59 AM
Meanwhile the Walking Dead has been un characteristically optimistic lately... Wonde go long that will last?
Did you read the last issue? Things are gonna go down!!
It's really impressive how Kirkman tremendously raises the bar even when the bar has been set so high. His stories just get better and better.

detourne_me

Yeah. It was pretty great how ineffectual Negan was!
But I am a bit iffy about
Spoiler
talking zombies. I hope it's a new group of hunters that have learned how to blend into hordes. I really don't want to see evolving zombies.  Also, what 5/6 years have passed in the time jump? How are there even still zombies walking?

DrMike2000

I highly recommend The Names, based on reading the first issue this week.
Pete Milligan spins a tale of Wall Street, revenge and a rather bizarre conspiracy which will reveal itself to us as a young widow investigates her trader husband's apparent suicide.
Nice sketchy wobby art by Leandro Fernandez suits it to a T.

Check it out, Milligan fans and any other lovers of good alternative comics!
Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

SickAlice

Any other Indy books peeps? My stack seems to be breaking down to Marvel and DC sans any TMNT related stuff, Mega Man and Artifacts (Aphrodite and Cyberforce are on megapause otherwise). I have been checking out the Chaos revival. I was never too into the old stuff but was highly intrigued by the Lady Death Boundless run. But she's neither with Chaos and in limbo otherwise so sort of moot. For the revival I'm mainly just going to hold my tongue because I can't really think of anything positive to say for it but that not said I do have a very large Indy book slot to fill.

kkhohoho

Quote from: SickAlice on November 15, 2014, 01:13:05 AM
Any other Indy books peeps? My stack seems to be breaking down to Marvel and DC sans any TMNT related stuff, Mega Man and Artifacts (Aphrodite and Cyberforce are on megapause otherwise). I have been checking out the Chaos revival. I was never too into the old stuff but was highly intrigued by the Lady Death Boundless run. But she's neither with Chaos and in limbo otherwise so sort of moot. For the revival I'm mainly just going to hold my tongue because I can't really think of anything positive to say for it but that not said I do have a very large Indy book slot to fill.

Have you tried Valiant? I haven't really tried anything from the recent reboot, but that's because I'm still going through the old stuff. Let me tell you, if the reboot is anything like the original 90's material, then Valiant is more than worth a look. The one to start with would probably be Harbringer, which is basically a teen-roadtrip-flick, except the teens have superpowers, and they're on the run from a Japanese businessman who is also one of the most powerful superhumans on the face of the Earth. In the end, not only do they have to deal with Harada, (the buisnessman,) but their personal issues that come not only from having superpowers, but also from just being teens. I think Valiant's actually started publishing some of their 90's stuff in TPB's, so the first 6-7 issue arc of 90's Harbringer (which I highly recommend,) should be available. If you like that, then you can check out the new version. It does some things differently, but I've checked out a few issues, and the overall premise and spirit seems to be the same as the original. Just don't expect the fine details of the plot to measure up exactly with the original.

If you're interested in Valiant, just check the link below to learn more about them. The only thing to keep in mind is that three classic Valiant series -- Solar, Magnus: Robot Fighter, and Turok - are not part of the current revived line-up due to licensing issues. However, they are being published nowadays thanks to Dynamite Publishing; it's just that these new versions aren't part of the Valiant Universe, unfortunately. And here's the link:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Creator/ValiantComics?from=Main.ValiantComics
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

SickAlice

I've never really been into their books short of Quantum & Woody but when it was published by Acclaim. Dynamite period (speaking of the new Chaos) has been pretty unappealing to me as of late and sadly since not long ago they took up a good chunk of my monthly pull list. I'll give the revivals a second look in the previews but not sure. It sounds like 1.) you haven't really read the current ones and 2.) had the opposite feeling towards their original stuff than I so I don't know if I'll bite. Though thanks for the suggestion.

kkhohoho

Quote from: SickAlice on November 15, 2014, 09:40:27 PM
I've never really been into their books short of Quantum & Woody but when it was published by Acclaim. Dynamite period (speaking of the new Chaos) has been pretty unappealing to me as of late and sadly since not long ago they took up a good chunk of my monthly pull list. I'll give the revivals a second look in the previews but not sure. It sounds like 1.) you haven't really read the current ones and 2.) had the opposite feeling towards their original stuff than I so I don't know if I'll bite. Though thanks for the suggestion.

That's fine. I'm curious, though; what did you think of Valiant, if I may ask?

Starman

QuoteHave you tried Valiant? I haven't really tried anything from the recent reboot, but that's because I'm still going through the old stuff. Let me tell you, if the reboot is anything like the original 90's material, then Valiant is more than worth a look.

I can't recommend the Valiant reboot highly enough. They publish a comparatively tiny universe to Marvel or DC but the trade off is that the quality of the books is excellent across the board ... personal favourites are XO Manowar, Eternal Warrior, Harbingers and Archer & Armstrong. Really, really good stuff.

Here's a random few that I'm reading at the moment:

IMAGE: The Fuse, Wytches, The Fade Out, Spread, God Hates Astronauts, Genius, '68, Southern Bastards, Ten Grand, Trees, The Wicked + The Divine, Manifest Destiny
VERTIGO: The Names
ICON: Men of Wrath
ONI: Letter 44, Brides of Helheim
DYNAMITE: Chastity, Captain Victory & The Galactic Rangers, Nightbreed, Flash Gordon
MONKEYBRAIN: The Fallen
BOOM: The Woods

JeyNyce

Here's a list my favorite books outside of Marvel/ DC

The Names
The Woods - Met the writer, great guy!
The Kitchen
Wytches
Outcast
The October Faction
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

SickAlice

Think Tank. That's the one I keep forgetting to check out. Wytches, October Faction and God Hates Astronauts have all caught my eye a bit. Nightbreed? As in Clive Barker? I didn't even know there was a current run, I would have been there at #1. Love that film something fierce. I have the Chastity run so far, just haven't pulled it from the pile yet considering the bad taste the rest of Chaos left me with. I was going to drop the whole experience as is, I was mainly there for Purgatory and I'm just not liking the story.

@kkhohoho: Not sure what you mean? I didn't like their books, short of Q&W which I loved. XO Manowar and what not just aren't my season. I wouldn't say they were bad productions in any way mind you, just not the kind of characters I enjoy reading. I've never been able to feel for Solar either and can't explain why not. And I go way back with him. When I actually bought into the collecting side of comics as well the reading for a spell some of my first where those old Golden Key ones. I found them at a garage sale or something yet despite how valuable the issues themselves were to me I couldn't get myself to care about the character. *shrug* I have a lot strange aversions to either really beloved icons and/or treasured cult classics that others normally adore. Or I suppose the bottom line is I'm picky. Not to be confused with an effete snob of course (slides the plate of Florentine away from the laptop as if you were able to see it)! >.> Still it seems you peeps are giving them much adieu and I'm normally on board with your opinions so I'll try and grab some samples when FFVTTR business slows here and see if the new brand of Valiant rubs differently on me. I just know while I don't have an attitude with the big two exactly I get a little itchy if I don't have some variety in there, specifically some non-superhero books.

kkhohoho

Quote from: SickAlice on November 17, 2014, 05:52:30 AM
Think Tank. That's the one I keep forgetting to check out. Wytches, October Faction and God Hates Astronauts have all caught my eye a bit. Nightbreed? As in Clive Barker? I didn't even know there was a current run, I would have been there at #1. Love that film something fierce. I have the Chastity run so far, just haven't pulled it from the pile yet considering the bad taste the rest of Chaos left me with. I was going to drop the whole experience as is, I was mainly there for Purgatory and I'm just not liking the story.

@kkhohoho: Not sure what you mean? I didn't like their books, short of Q&W which I loved. XO Manowar and what not just aren't my season. I wouldn't say they were bad productions in any way mind you, just not the kind of characters I enjoy reading. I've never been able to feel for Solar either and can't explain why not. And I go way back with him. When I actually bought into the collecting side of comics as well the reading for a spell some of my first where those old Golden Key ones. I found them at a garage sale or something yet despite how valuable the issues themselves were to me I couldn't get myself to care about the character. *shrug* I have a lot strange aversions to either really beloved icons and/or treasured cult classics that others normally adore. Or I suppose the bottom line is I'm picky. Not to be confused with an effete snob of course (slides the plate of Florentine away from the laptop as if you were able to see it)! >.> Still it seems you peeps are giving them much adieu and I'm normally on board with your opinions so I'll try and grab some samples when FFVTTR business slows here and see if the new brand of Valiant rubs differently on me. I just know while I don't have an attitude with the big two exactly I get a little itchy if I don't have some variety in there, specifically some non-superhero books.

That's fine. I just thought maybe you didn't like Valiant because it was too 'dark and edgy', or something like that.

SickAlice

Nah. I like dark and edgy stuff. I wouldn't haul all of the Bat family books home if that wasn't the case. I like most genres for that matter but a good mix in the lot. The only types of books I don't really get into are westerns, army/war is hell and those books by Zenescope that look like Victoria Secret ads with additional bust. Oh and Blue Water biography type ones. While it's really neat that they made a book about Barack Obama's dog and everything I just can't justify paying for it, lol.

Starman

QuoteNightbreed? As in Clive Barker? I didn't even know there was a current run, I would have been there at #1.

Yeah, it's written by Marc Andreyko ... same guy who writes Chastity and (formerly) Manhunter and Batwoman at DC. Talented guy. I recently read the old Nightbreed comics ... those are also pretty cool.

SickAlice

And the same writer from Batwoman (that's my fallback DC title). That ones a def and I'll have to pull the Chastity books from the pile and leaf through them then. Batwoman hasn't let me down yet.

JeyNyce

I'm surprise that nobody haven't posted here in a while.

Anyway, my LCS just gave me a few issues of SAGA (23-25) and I'm in love with the series.  Has anybody else been reading this book?  I found the TPB with issues 1-18 online.  This book is really a good read.

Talavar

Epimethee

Seconded on Saga, which I bought (along with a bunch of other e-books) in a recent Humble Bundle; it is quite wonderful.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

Starman

Yeah, Saga is great, as is most of Brian K Vaughn's creator-owned stuff.

There are some really good sci-fi comics being released at the moment.

HarryTrotter

I read some of IDWs Magic the gathering comics.A lott of potential there,but not executed all that well.
Friend recommended me Vertigos Coffin Hill.I finished volume 1,and Im just okay with it.Is it worth continuing?
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

I heard about Coffin Hill, but haven't read it yet.  Another good book to read is Graveyard Shift.  It reminds me of those cop TV shows from the 80s-90s.  It's pretty much a cap who's girlfriend became a vampire and they are after the vampire who turned her.  It goes into much more detail than that and it's a good book.  Issue 3 came out about 2 weeks ago, but you should still be about to pick up the books.

HarryTrotter

Also from IDW,Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters was okay.Are other Godzilla series worth checking out?
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer