News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Assembling my new computer system...

Started by Alaric, July 03, 2009, 03:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alaric

Finally working on completing my new computer system, after various delays and setbacks. Never had a computer I built from scratch before, though I've replaced pretty much everything at one time or another.

Wish me luck.
Fear the "A"!!!

Gremlin

Cool! Good luck, man, and keep us posted!

lugaru

Good luck, building your own is extremely satisfying and edifying. You learn what is in there and also you usually save a few hundred dollars in the process. 

stumpy

Good luck. I have put together a system from scratch several times and there isn't really a better way to get the exact system you want without nagging little compromises.

As a side note, it's almost always a little cheaper to get a system from Dell or HP or whoever than to build your own. There really is almost no way to beat them on price alone for the same essential system, assuming they offer it. But, you get lots more leeway in terms of components and customization when you build your own. I recently (last month) bought a Dell desktop system (they are on sale every other week, but the particular combination of sales was going to save me about $350, so I jumped on it) and ended up making several decisions along the lines of "they don't offer the graphics card I want, so I'll get the cheap one and replace it on my own" or "I'll try out the 'Dell' keyboard that seems like the one I want, even though I would prefer one where I can check out the reviews before I buy it."
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

herodad1

my computer was pieced together to by a friend who runs a computer business.he sat down with me an we item-ized everything that went in.i actually bought ff2 first and then had the computer built just for the game.been going crazy lately with it.computers running but i have no graphics card.the fan in the card stopped turning and the card over heated and burned out.wont be in until tomarrow or wed.ARGH!!! to me...having it built or building yourself( if you have the knowledge) is the way to go.you can cut costs one way and spend more somewhere else.added more along the way as the funds came in.

thalaw2

Nothing like getting into the guts of your own system.  Putting it together from scratch is the way to go.  You get what you want, if you put p the cash.  It's also a great way to share a few beers with guys while going over building something...inside the house in the summer...and not up under some hot (heat hot, not sexy hot) car. 
革命不会被电视转播

Alaric

Well, the motherboard hadn't worked. I returned it, the replacement came yesterday, and I now have my new system up and running- using it right now, in fact. Huge improvement over my old system. Feels great to have built it myself, and I learned a lot in the process.

:thumbup:
Fear the "A"!!!