active defence like cap shield: question

Started by naitvalis, May 06, 2009, 02:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naitvalis

i want to give my cap an active defence for melee attack, but i want a defence wich not made my cap immune to knockback or some lil damage incurring by the impact absorbed.
is that possible in  :ffvstr:?

stumpy

Unfortunately, I don't know of an existing way to do that. An AD that defends against melee attacks (of whatever damage type) will block all aspects of the attack, when it's on. There isn't a way to have it block damage but not KB or stun.

Now, the Invulnerable attributes in FFX block only damage, and not stun or KB. And, there may be a version that you can turn on and off, sort of like an AD. But, they can't tell one attack type or damage type from another, which doesn't fit well with Cap's concept. (I.e., it would block a certain amount of crushing melee damage, but also block that same amount of direct radiation damage, etc.)

One approximation is to give cap a passive defense against crushing melee at the "occasional" setting. It would still block all aspects of any blocked attack, but at least it wouldn't be in effect all the time and he wold get knocked around once in a while.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

naitvalis

thanks for the reply, in this case  cap remain with only an active defence against ranged piercing.
anyway i think  :ff: is better of  :ffvstr: for defences, in  :ff: u can customize much more aspects of ur active defence, everyone knows if its possible to implementate the old system on  :ffvstr:?

stumpy

I actually think that the changes in FFvT3R's defenses are an improvement over FF's. For example,

• Pass-through block mode
  • ADs can move with the character
  • PDs can have FX and animations

However, I would have preferred FFvT3R to have retained the FF option of making ADs with health that decreases as they take damage. Lots of comic characters have shields, force fields, etc. that will go down if you hit them hard enough.

And, though this hasn't changed how they work in the game, the FFEdit Defences tab has a flaw since it doesn't include the duration drop-down menu for ADs. But, the duration can still be set using Épiméthée's Campaign_ChangeActiveDefenceDuration() function.

What aspect of the FF system would you want to implement in FFvT3R.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

naitvalis

yes as you say  :ffvstr: as many features, but in the active defence they don't have included the moveable feature, wich in my opinion can be good for the shielded characters, example: with my old cap
in  :ff:  i gave him an active defence unmoveable for piercing ranged, make this defence more beliveable.

stumpy

Yeah, that's unfortunate. Especially since the flag is actually still there (that is, it doesn't show up in the game's hero editor or in FFEdit, but all the active defenses just have that flag set anyway). But, even if you manually unset the flag, the game still treats ADs as movable.

stumpy

I feel sort of like a moron for not remembering this earlier, but TaskmasterX came up with a technique for simulating many of the characteristics of ADs in the original game. Look in the Attributes section of the FFX 3.3 manual under "FF Active Defense" and see if that is closer to what you want.

naitvalis

hey found it!
reading the content right now thx for the info.