News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Thinking about a new avatar.

Started by Cyber Burn, April 06, 2009, 07:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber Burn

G'afternoon Freedom Forcers,
Like the topic said, I'm thinking about a new avatar. The problem is, I just don't know where to start. I'd like something that I could skin onto a male_basic mesh, maybe utilizing red and blue as the main colors. Any suggestions on how to start? I appreciate any advice that I can get. Thanks.

Glitch Girl

Well, let's start with what is your avatar's schtick?  Powers, methods, etc.  I gather he uses swords, but is he more like a knight, ninja, merc, or what per se?  Hi-tech or lo-tech?  Any info you can offer can influence the overal look. 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Cyber Burn

Thanks for responding Glitch.
I'm planning on using Valandar's Male_knife_fighter mesh. I was thinking more of a lo-tech, ninja type guy. Basically, an assassin for hire. I'm flexible on the colors. I was checking out C6's skins of Avatars on Alex's Freedom Fortress, and I was just blown away. The designs are just so crisp and clean, and I don't know how to create any sort of design that could be unique. And I think that this is where I'm getting stuck. I want to design something that is unique and clean, and I am going blank. Kind of frustrating.

Glitch Girl

It won't be a skin, but mind if I fool with some ideas tonight?

If you can, link me to some designs you like and I may pull a few elements from that.

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Cyber Burn

That would be seriously cool. Thank you. I was looking at Image Comic's Stormwatch Team for ideas. Kind of like Hellstrike.
http://jerome.galica.free.fr/Image/image.htm
http://jerome.galica.free.fr/Image/Hellstrike.htm
Other than this, I'm not quite certain.

Cyber Burn

This is what I've been working on, I'm just not sure if it's what I want.

Glitch Girl

Okay this fall squarely under "rough concept"/"quick sketch" (IE: I rendered a blank figure and then painted on top if it).  Think of it as a starting point that can be elaborated on.  Basically, I took some elements from your figure there and from Hellstrike and a few colors from your old avvie came up with this:

Feedback encouraged.
-Glitch Girl

Cyber Burn

I love the design. I may switch the colors around a bit. But, this is great! The yellow highlights really make things stand out. Thank you so much Glitch.

Gremlin

Looks very patriotic. I don't think that's what you're going for, though...

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Gremlin on April 07, 2009, 08:40:07 PM
Looks very patriotic. I don't think that's what you're going for, though...

Patriotic is Good...but not what I'm going for. But after lots of trial and error, and thanks to Glitch Girl, I think I'm happpy with what I've got.

I can throw it on lots of different meshes, so I can switch weapons when I feel like it, it's simple, and it works for me.

Thanks again Glitch. The added yello and the lowered boots made the difference. :thumbup:

Glitch Girl

My pleasure.

You know, now that I look at my design, there's something that reminds me of something Japanese.  That's what I get for working tired.  :)

Not bad on the uniform design.  Not sure I like the font, but the red/blue/yellow seems to be working for you. 
-Glitch Girl

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Glitch Girl on April 08, 2009, 03:18:22 AM
My pleasure.

You know, now that I look at my design, there's something that reminds me of something Japanese.  That's what I get for working tired.  :)

Not bad on the uniform design.  Not sure I like the font, but the red/blue/yellow seems to be working for you. 

I get what you're saying about the font. But I figured since the first Av that I was given had the font, I should keep it out of respect. This way, I have something that suits me, but also something that I just can't get rid of. Again, Glitch, thanks for taking the time to help me out here. If I can return the favor, let me know.

Glitch Girl

Oh I don't mean get RID of the lettering, but maybe use a different font unless you're going for the "handwritten" look.

Impact is a nice one, and I think it's a default on most systems.  Arial Black is also a nice strong font.
-Glitch Girl

Alaric

Looks very good, overall. I'd add a little blue (and yellow) to the mask, I think.

I kind of like the handwritten-looking lettering across the chest. It might look better in red, though.
Fear the "A"!!!

Cyber Burn

The yellow on the mask doesn't show up very well, but I will try out other fonts.  :D Glitch, I had thought about trying out firestarter, but i'll look at those you suggested as well. Again, I really appreciate the input.

UnkoMan

So I was thinking a bit about this and your name... What if he had, say, a tight tacticle stealth suit (the cyber part) similar to Raiden or Grey Fox from the Metal Gear series... but also it happens to produce a hologram that gives you a blank face on fire? Because fire faces are cool. Also, some random piping and buckles and stuff to give it a bit more of an Image feel.

Maybe I'll do a little doodle after I move these next few days.

Cyber Burn

I would love to see that. I couldn't get tech to look right which is why I went simple.

UnkoMan

Well... I went pretty simple too, actually. I might go back and do the more tech one later.

http://jowsome.deviantart.com/art/Cyber-Burn-121528990

I was doing it with more doodads, but then just decided to go a bit deadpool with it. I kept your colours, but made the blue really dark. I'm thinking Venom tones, really. I kept the "BURN" part, but instead of on the costume I placed it on the machetes.

But, yeah, I went back with less tech. The suit still has some stuff. Obviously keep the stealth aspec. It'd be lined with little hologram cameras, so he'd be able to blend into his environment or perhaps cloak himself in another uniform. Whatever you like. Probably it'd have some sort of damage reduction. If you wanted you could give it some light healing properties. The feet have grips, so you could make it actually stick to walls or could just make it like sneakers.

Really, you can go either way with this one. It could be one of those super advanced comic book suits that do everything or it could just simply be a costume.

Gremlin

Okay, THAT is pretty flippin' nice.

Cyber Burn

Definitely! I really like what you did with the blades. :thumbup: I think after this semester, I'm going to have to try a skope something up. Thanks Unko.

UnkoMan

Hey, no problem. Just a little doodle. It's really my own design style, so feel free to change up whatever you want. Honestly, I just wanted to draw a flame head and machetes.