News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

A question and idea about the skybox...

Started by RTTingle, March 29, 2009, 03:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RTTingle

Howdy folks,
I've always wondered about the skybox.... the border of the maps... and I've seen in some instances of some maps having an actual background on the skybox walls.

My question is this, is it possible to modify the skybox to make dynamic backgrounds?

For example... say having 2 or 3 skyboxes, instead of just 1... so that you can layer the backgrounds and add some illusion of 3d?

Thanks,
RTT

C4

You can with scripting replace a skybox every x amount of seconds.

And I think you can make a skybox alpha enabled to do layers, probly with nifskope.

This is a good idea actually. 

GogglesPizanno

Technically its possible, as those skyboxes are just standard nif files. You'd have to add some alpha and transparency to them and then duplicate the sphere a few times making each one slightly larger to get the layered effect. I just don't know if you would gain much from doing that, as the game engine doesn't support actual sky boxes. They are just big 3d sphere objects encircling the map.

tommyboy

You could in theory utilize .ifl where a number of textures are set to rotate through at a speed picked by the mesher (or skoper).
I've never tried it because.......I've... never tried it.
Whatever method you use I think may end up looking a bit odd unless careful incremental blending from one to another is done.
At one point I was toying with the idea of nested skyspheres, ie several sizes, with the inner ones being alpha enabled, and the outer ones too, and rotating them to simulate clouds passing etc.
But to be honest, in the game proper you don't spend that much time staring at the sky waiting for the weather to change or the sun to set. As long as I'm not staring at an infinite black void I'm happy..