News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Your Favorite....

Started by rain, February 27, 2009, 04:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rain

I was just thinking after reading stuff on the main forums (and yes I am thinking about the MA). What do people like to see in the stories/content in COH? Look, I've said this time after time, the ability to make content for this game is something I have dreamed about since it launched.

But I wanna make stuff people enjoy...

I know what I like about the game ect... but I'm wondering about everyone else so I can get a handle on what people think is the best so I can look at it all with a different pair of eyes.

All questions apply both red and blue side

What are your:

Tops 5 enemy groups:

Why is your Favorite off the top of that list the one you like best?:

Favorite Arch-Villain/Hero to fight and why?:

Favorite Story Arc and why?:

Best Single Mission in the game and why?

Favorite Contact in the game?:

Enemy Group you would most like to see more of and for what reason?:
-rain

Every time a Hammyo'ed MoG scrapper falls to an elec snipe in the arena, an angel gets his wings

rain

My own to start:

Tops 5 enemy groups:
1.Malta
2.Rikti
3.Arachnos
4.Legacy
5.Carnies

Every year at thanksgiving a raise a glass to the Malta for not being easy fights.
Some say the sappers are cheap? I'm seen dozens of ways to neutralize their effect as long if your teammates are even half decent.

For some reason I ALWAYS enjoy fighting Nemesis as an AV. As much for how he's a nice balanced fight as for the fact that he shows up at totally great moments and has the best Archvillain character.
His appearance in the rwz stuff is righteous.

General Z. I loved this one because there was an element of "real world" to it that you don't see often in the stories up until that point. The Hollows is very fantastical and the pre-20s stuff sometimes feels about as real as a issue of Power Pack. Then you get to this nice intricate little story with some nice enhancements to it in terms of mission design since it's launch.

Best Single Mission in the game and why?:
Sewer Trial. It's hard, requires skill and timing and a group of people who understand how a team works. It's also a hella cool map to play on.
The final mission of the ITF also has such an epic feel to it in terms of size and story.

Crimson. Without a doubt, few other contact's dialog sucks me into the story quite like his oblique language and style. His missions have a dirty feel to them at points and really, few other parts of the content match his level of immersion.

I found the Luddites to be underutilized and unexplored.
-rain

Every time a Hammyo'ed MoG scrapper falls to an elec snipe in the arena, an angel gets his wings

B A D

I would like to see a Fully developed BP - COT- Legacy chain war.

By way of example - the BP have found a way to ressurect their pantsless undead guy. The COT realize if they can kill said P.U.D., they can open a portal to a world where Baskin Robins has 32 flavors.  The  Chain, of course, must protect the world from  the secret flavor, AND The P.U.D. Throw in some Tsoo with  Ancestor Spirits screaming "KEEP OFF MY ZEN GARDEN!" ,and you've got yourself a hit.
PROTIP: If you?re going to build a robot that can think for itself and then make it do menial labor, don?t make it twice your size, indestructible, and strong enough to pick you up and use your body to beat your friends to death. Alas, such is ever the folly of man.

Ephemeris

1. Legacy Chain
2. Vanguard
3. Arachnos
4. Carnies
5. Freakshow

Legacy Chain is my favorite, but that's probably because the disappear in your 20's.  Vanguard are fun because of their toughness.  Arachnos are good because of the variety of foes.

My favorite AV is the Goddess Hequat almost solely due to her costume.  I like fighting Synapse most because his superspeed feels like you're actually fighting a super powered character.  I hate AV's that phase or go into a Godmode for extended periods.

My favorite arcs are the Television's.  I like the references to current and former shows.

My favorite missions are the final mission of the Air Pirate TF where the team assaults the skyraider base.  The 'Save the World' RWZ mission is epic like an ending to a TF.

I'd like to see more legacy chain, especially beyond their low level cut-off.  Where are the other Spetsnaz Commandoes?  They may be underwhelming, but they're certainly underused.

BlueBard

I really want to see original content and immersive storylines.  I've got ideas rolling around in my head even now.

I don't necessarily want to see retreads of the existing villain groups, unless they can be done in interesting ways.

I want to see clever use of mission objectives and dialogue to make each mission seem a little more unique.  Red herrings.  Plot twists.  Foreshadowing.

I want bad guys with Personality!, with a capital P and an exclamation point.

I want to see tactical placement of badguys.  Like that stealthed assassin hiding around the corner.  More patrols and wandering encounters.

And I want it yesterday.

STO/CO: @bluegeek

Verfall

Tops 5 enemy groups:
1. 5th Column
2. Freakshow
3. Arachnos
4. Longbow
5. Roman's

The 5th of course. Nazi's with wolves and vampires, what's not to love? That, and Ver's origin is based around them.

I'm gonna go with a GM, and say Kronos. Big giant robot for one reason. Add to the fact he was a big giant robot I tanked multiple times while sitting on the can, and I'll always enjoy kicking him around.

I'd have to say the Wretch arc from Seer Marino. While villains has the best written arcs overall, hers was the first one I really enjoyed. Running into Ghost Widow and such was a nice change of pace when compared to never seeing the main heroes in COH practically at all.

Best Single Mission in the game and why?

I'm gonna go back and say the original ruined city wolf map. Why? One word. BOX!!! BOXBOXBOXBOX!!! BOX!

Hmm, tough one. I'd have to say Vernon Von Grun.
"The world has no idea what waits for it, but you, you shall be here to see the dawning of a new day for SCIENCE!!!

GYAAH - HAH - HAH - HAH - HAH!

Join me!

GYAAH - HAH - HAH - HAH - HAH - HAH - HAAAAAH!!!
"

The 5th of course. It's about time Reichsman pops up and sends the cobra knockoffs packing, only to have Ver lodge a big boot in his Nazi posterior.
"My word and world holds ground and is real
Your word is like floods of poisoned water
A language spoken with spit from different tongues
You can never corrupt me again"

GhostMachine

I'm not gonna answer this yet, except to say one thing:

The return of the 5th Column - and I mean them returning and wiping the floor with the Council and taking their place in the game back, or a full-on 5th Column-Council War that lasts MONTHS - is one of the few things that would make me drop WoW in a heartbeat and return to CoX.

(I can't afford to subscribe to both, or I'd still be playing CoX)

Viking

Lessee, Top 5 Enemy Groups...
1.  Tsoo
2.  Sky Raiders
3.  Freakshow
4.  Arachnos
5.  Carnies

The Tsoo get the highly-fought-after first place because they blend so many different elements.  Visually, they have a lot of color.  Power-wise, they've got a nifty combination of foot soldiers (Ink Men), lieutenants (Sorcerors that heal and debuff, and Ancestor Spirits that tank), and variety of different bosses with differently-themed powers.

I feel that the Sky Raiders deserve a mention because on the right map, their ability to fly in battle literally adds a whole new dimension to the combat.  It really makes the final mission of the Air Pirate SF shine.  And the Freakshow are fun largely because of the way that they're written, with their boisterous, fun-loving dialogue.

Like Verfall, I feel like my favorite Big Enemy to fight is Kronos, the giant robot.  It's a fun, dramatic fight.  Unfortunately, I don't think the Mission Architect will allow us to put Giant Monsters as adveraries in our creations.  So, for favorite Hero/Archvillain fight, it would have to be...

Nemesis Automaton Manticore:  "You call that a hit?  I call it *ERROR IN SARCASM DATABASE*"

Favorite Story Arc...
The Horrors of War, given by Dark Watcher.  In which the orchestration of the Rikti-Earth war is revealed, and why Nemesis is the most insidious Archvillain.  Ever.  It caps off with an epic fight at the end, complete with self-indulgent monologue speech by Nemesis.

Favorite Contact in the Game...
Same as Verfall's choice - Vernon von Grun.  The guy changes his villainous laugh each time you talk to him, and eventually reveals that he's still trying to decide on which mad laugh will suit him best.  This is because having a proper villainous laugh is a vital characteristic for a proper Mad Scientist!  This guy is a glorious send-up of the Evil Mad Scientist trope, and I love it.

Enemy group I'd like to see more of and for what reason...
Well, playing villain-side, I see practically nothing of the Outcasts or the Trolls.  It makes you wonder if the Devs just gave up on these groups or what.  But the Trolls can be fun - they're kinda like proto-versions of the Freakshow.

GhostMachine

5 favorite enemy groups:

1. Sky Raiders
2. Carnies
3. Freakshow
4. Nemesis
5. Malta

Some enemy groups are either just too irritating (The Vahzilok due to their toxic attacks and the Tsoo if more than one Sorceror is present, for instance) or have a base that's a pain to navigate through (Circle of Thorns, larger Arachnos bases), and the Council are a joke; the 5th Column were much cooler.

Of the 5 groups I picked, two CAN be irritating; the Carnies are a pain to fight if a Master Illusionist is around, and Malta can tear you up if you just go in guns blazing; I like the fact you have to be tactical when fighting Malta.

You can also put me down as a Kronos Titan fan. The giant monsters in the Hive and PI are fun to fight, and so are Jurrasik and Adamastor, but the Kronos is a giant freakin' robot, and fighting it is just plain fun. I even helped fight it on two occasions when I had more important stuff to do (solo, that is; if I had been in a team, I wouldn't have).

Favorite Storyarc: I'll give you a clue; its the CoH equivalent to Star Trek's mirror universe or DC Comics' Earth 3. `nuff said.

Favorite Contact: Don't really have one I can think of offhand.

Enemy group I'd like to see more of: See my previous post in this thread. Barring them, I'll go with the Family.