News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Water Control

Started by TaskMasterX, February 13, 2009, 06:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TaskMasterX

Summary:
After enjoying playing with the Earth Control, Flame Control, Ice Control, and Weather Control attributes, I thought a Water Control attribute would be a nice addition. This attribute allows the character to use existing water sources on the map (fire hydrants, water towers, fountains, etc.) as the source of their powers. The character would be severely handicapped on desert maps (or other maps with little to no water sources) if they had only this attribute. If the character is powerful enough to be able to condense enough water from the water vapor in the air for a high pressure water jet, then you can just give them powers for these abilities as you normally would. This attribute is for characters that can't really create water from nothing, but rather have to use existing water sources on the map, but it can certainly be used by more powerful Water Controllers along with their other Water Powers.

How It Works:
Characters with this attribute get commands on water sources on the map. Each water source can be used for different types of powers or they can all produce the same powers. There are three different lists, one for water explosions, one for water blasts and the other for water summoning. If a water source object is part of a list, then the command for that power appears on it. For instance, water towers are in the water explosion and water summoning lists, but not in the water blast list. So the Water Explosion and Create Water Elemental commands appear on Water Towers. Fire Hydrants appear in all lists, so will have all commands.
The water blast command actually only appears on targets that are within range of the water source AND the character. The character must target an enemy or object that is within range of the water source and themselves and click the command. A beam of water (manowar's Water beam) fires from the water source to the target, NOT from the character to the target. I made it so the character triggers a custom power on the water source and then turns to the target as the beam is firing at the target. So it looks like he's using his power on the water source and guides the jet of water at the target.
The water explosion triggers an area-wide blast of water (manowar's Whirlpool) centered on the water source. Using this power, destroys the water source in the process, so you can't use that water source again. Water blasts do not destroy the water source, but then water blasts are not available from every water source, while water explosions are. The water explosion also has the same effects as the fire hydrant plug-in by Epimethee (destroys fire walls and fire cages, energizes amphibious characters, power nulls fire characters, etc.).
Water Summoning basically allows you to spawn a customizable character (water elemental) at a water source, destroying the water source in the process. The water elemental costs energy to maintain, as the plasmatic option for Summoner.

Currently, the only customizable options are the dummy power used to trigger the water powers, the hero file or built-in character that is summoned, and the range. I can eventually make the water blast and explosion powers customizable, too.

If I get some free time over the weekend I can try to make a video of the use of this. And if anyone has other ideas for new features or powers for this attribute, I'd love to hear them.

BentonGrey

Wow TMX, this attribute would be absolutely perfect for Mera.....it would be utterly canonical, but I rather like her having the ability to just summon water up from nowhere for gameplay sake.  I may tweak her a bit, 'cause this is just too good to pass up.  It would be really cool to be able to use any hydrant as a mine.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

TaskMasterX

I just thought of something. What if, instead of the water disappearing when the explosion is triggered, or the water elemental gets KO'd, a puddle of water remains (ffx_icepatch with a water texture). This puddle can also be targeted and used as a source for the water controller's powers. Maybe even puddles could appear at the end of the water blast, at the target's feet. :thinkingidea

BentonGrey

That's a good idea, and it would make total sense, too!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/