News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Champions Online

Started by RTTingle, February 09, 2009, 06:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on April 20, 2009, 04:49:08 PM
Wasn't this originally slated to be PC and PS3?  I had basically tuned this out because of that.  Now I see that it's PC and XBox360!!  I am so in.  I still have my 1st ed Champions rule books (with those rediculous in the back of the closet . . .

You're thinking of DCU Online, I think. I looked that up today, it's PS3 and PC

As for champions... I'm excited. If it's too much I won't get more then a demo, but it's pretty awesome right now. Definitely wanna at least try it out.

Xenolith

My bad.
Sorry.

Uncle Yuan

So much for that NDA . . .
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

JeyNyce

I want to get excited about this, but there's nothing there to get excited about.  To me, it looks like a COH clone.  Am I missing something?
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

BentonGrey

Well, for me, the difference is entirely in the combat system.  Supposedly it is supposed to play more like a fighting game.  The click to attack bit that most MMOs use really bores me, but being able to actually use a gamepad and feel a more visceral combat experience could be much more engaging.  I get really sick of 'click on bad guy, hit 1, hit 2, hit 3, hit 4.  Wait for energy to replenish, rinse, repeat.'  CO will, reportedly, have attacks that don't use energy and have no cool down time, so you can actually do real-time combat like MUA.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

gengoro

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 24, 2009, 11:14:03 PM
Well, for me, the difference is entirely in the combat system.  Supposedly it is supposed to play more like a fighting game.  The click to attack bit that most MMOs use really bores me, but being able to actually use a gamepad and feel a more visceral combat experience could be much more engaging.  I get really sick of 'click on bad guy, hit 1, hit 2, hit 3, hit 4.  Wait for energy to replenish, rinse, repeat.'  CO will, reportedly, have attacks that don't use energy and have no cool down time, so you can actually do real-time combat like MUA.

I feel the same way when it comes to MMO's(and pc rpgs and some jrpgs), but will that make any difference if the mission structure is the same as most MMOs.  I really tried to like city of heroes but the missions just bored me to tears.  Loved the costume creator but it was like I was paying monthly(only lasted a month) to play an endless beatem up.

BentonGrey

Once again, based on what has been SAID, since I haven't actually seen the game, they are going to spend a lot more time and effort making missions unique and interesting.  There is supposed to be an overarching storyline, for one.
God Bless

Tomato

I guess part of what excited me slightly more about this game in terms of what we currently KNOW about it, is just the graphics system. CoH just always looked grungy to me compared with FF's bright colors. Champions, on the other hand, actually LOOKS like what I'd want out of a superhero game

Figure Fan

Wow! It comes out a day before my birthday! Sweeeeeeet..

UnkoMan

Quote from: Tomato on April 25, 2009, 03:33:57 AM
I guess part of what excited me slightly more about this game in terms of what we currently KNOW about it, is just the graphics system. CoH just always looked grungy to me compared with FF's bright colors. Champions, on the other hand, actually LOOKS like what I'd want out of a superhero game

And here I had found it going a bit TOO overboard with this, and passing into the realm of cartoons. I haven't been too big on their art style from the start, though it is getting more refined as they progress. I will probably be fine with it when it is finished. I never really liked CoH's either though. I think DC Online is visually what I would want.

BUT, that being said... did you see ice slide? Did you see rope swing? Did you see those huge rocket packs? Pure awesome.

RTTingle

I see some things in here that are pluses because its what I'd like to see in CoX... true power customization and travel powers like the swinging.

Some things I don't care for, but can pass over --- like the style.  I don't like the way it looks.  I'm ok with it being cartoony, I think WoW looks just fine like that.  But the cell shading, just gives it this look that doesn't make it look like true 3d as much as well, South Park style 3-d.  It doesn't look like it has depth as much as well, set layers.

I hear the UI is AWFUL and the actual gameplay could kill it for me.  I'm not a button-masher or a fast player.  I like being able to move, but I don't like the action happening so fast that I can't keep up.  This honestly sounds like its more along the lines a game that should be for the gaming consoles and not a pc.  I'll get a gamepad, which has been suggested for this game... and give it a shot.

RTT

DMenacer

Left to Right: Canine Crypto-Robin Hoodlem-Nurse Nitengale-Knight Star-Doc Medic-Super Sentry
[img]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddwyatt/MyChars.jpg[/img]
Right to Left: Striper the Grimlin-Sargent Major-Demonic HellRaiser-Shogun Ninja Master-Demoness Diva-DMenacer

Reepicheep

I've gotten excited about this, although I wasn't even remotely interested previously.

Will probably see a lot of you guys when this comes around!!

DMenacer

Well I'm involved in a guild over there called the Spartans.
The Spartans are  Heroes from the past, present and future that believe in Freedom for All.
I have also talked to them about starting another group called the Knights.
The Knights are Heroes from the past, present and future that believe in Justice for All.

They have decided to wait on forming the Knights until the game allows coalations so if we wanted we could start that Guild and coalation with the Spartans once coalations are allowed since Freedom Reborn won't form a guild there yet. The idea was started as another guild where we can placed other toons so we can have toons spread out in levels so we could always log on one thats with-in the level of the team you are needed for.

Come on over the the Champions Online Website and join the Spartans in the Superteam thread and once the game goes live we can start the Knights so some of them can join us to have a place to put their extra toons. Then when ever Freedom Reborn starts a guild over there we can join them also.
Left to Right: Canine Crypto-Robin Hoodlem-Nurse Nitengale-Knight Star-Doc Medic-Super Sentry
[img]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddwyatt/MyChars.jpg[/img]
Right to Left: Striper the Grimlin-Sargent Major-Demonic HellRaiser-Shogun Ninja Master-Demoness Diva-DMenacer

Lionheart

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 24, 2009, 11:14:03 PM

Bear in mind what has been described for the combat system though (on the public forums): An endurance builder power that you have to mash repeatedly to open up other powers. So instead of 1,2,3,4, etc., it's 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,3 and so on. Rapidly mashing the same power over and over does not equal "action." Also, only having seven powers to choose from (also public info) really cuts down on the tactical combat component. It becomes a button masher; power choice doesn't really matter that much.

With CoH, the powers I use, the order that I use them in, and so forth depends on the tactical situation. I don't have a set pattern, because it's not necessary nor the most efficient method of combat. It's fun having to think on my feet in the heat of combat to deploy the right powers at the right time.

I've decided to stick with CoH. I prefer the looks, gameplay, and combat style over CO. Add in being able to design my own missions with the Mission Architect, and it's a no brainer for me. However, this is personal opinion only. Different players will like different aspects.

I think CoH, CO, and DCUO will all have their niche audiences. CoH will appeal to the MMORPG players more, CO to the console players, and DCUO to the MMO PvP players.

Based on the descriptions on the public forums, my anticipation for CO was *huge*. Now it's nonexistent. Just not interested anymore.

Figure Fan

Hmm, they haven't worked out the pricing structure yet, according to the Champions site.

Maybe it will be different than standard MMO fare?

RTTingle

QuoteBear in mind what has been described for the combat system though (on the public forums): An endurance builder power that you have to mash repeatedly to open up other powers. So instead of 1,2,3,4, etc., it's 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,3 and so on.

Really?

Crud.

If that is fact then I'm definitely not going to enjoy the playing style.  My eye hand coordination was never great to begin with.  I'm hoping I don't need to bloody my thumbs to enjoy this game.

RTT

JeyNyce

Quote from: UnkoMan on April 25, 2009, 03:25:14 PM
BUT, that being said... did you see ice slide? Did you see rope swing? Did you see those huge rocket packs? Pure awesome.

Because CO was suppose to be Marvel Universe Online.  When the Marvel MMO got cancel they took the game and made Champions Online.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

gengoro

QuoteBear in mind what has been described for the combat system though (on the public forums): An endurance builder power that you have to mash repeatedly to open up other powers. So instead of 1,2,3,4, etc., it's 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,3 and so on. Rapidly mashing the same power over and over does not equal "action." Also, only having seven powers to choose from (also public info) really cuts down on the tactical combat component. It becomes a button masher; power choice doesn't really matter that much.

Damn it :angry:.  Why cant someone just make an offline open world superhero rpg similar to oblivion, GTA, or something.  Throw in a character creator, multiplayer modes, and real time combat with the option to pause and issue orders to teammates and BAM!

Or hell, just give us another freedom force. :thumbup:

BentonGrey

Ha, I would kill for another Freedom Force, but in the interim, CO looks pretty good. 

Lionheart, good point, but from what I've read there are/can be multiple attacks that don't use energy.  In fact, as I understand it, the majority of attacks are used to "build up" your energy so you can unleash one big one.  So, not so much 1, 1, 1, 1, as 1, 2, 1, 3, 5, 3, what have you.  It seems like it will be pleasantly close to MUA.  Once again though, this is what has been reported, not from actual experience.
God Bless

Lionheart

Not sure of the source on that one, Benton. But I can't really comment further on the reasons for my perceptions at this point.

CO is off my radar. Some will love it, some hate it. It's nice that CoH and DCUO will be around too. Variety is good. :)

Figure Fan

Quote from: Lionheart on April 26, 2009, 06:59:36 PM
CO is off my radar. Some will love it, some hate it. It's nice that CoH and DCUO will be around too. Variety is good. :)

Yeah, exactly. Now we can switch between games :)

UnkoMan

Welp, different plays for different play styles. I'm in the camp that finds the pointing and clicking of CoH to be boring for a super hero game. I'm looking for MUA, but online and makin' your own characters. This is what I would like for a super hero game.

Now if it was a MMO adventure game, that's something else.

Anyhow, I am going to at least try this game out... they're gonna have a free trial, right?

lugaru

What I'm interested in is that COH was already more action based than most MMO's, so it should not be too huge a transition to make it centered on action. I hope they dont want me to pay for the box and the suscription, it might be a while before I can justify that but I do want to try it.

Courtnall6

Swinging travel power looks sweet...although it looks like it doesn't take the environment into account much. Some of the ropelines are attached to the sky.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/48350.html

Sadly this will just lead to Spider-Man clones all over the place.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

BentonGrey

I imagine that is unavoidable in any case....besides, if I end up getting it, I'll be unable to resist making an Aquaman clone and taking him to the underwater zone.... :unsure:
God Bless

UnkoMan

Well Unko Man is totally a Doc Savage clone. Just dumb instead of smart and wearing a costume and being nothing like Doc Savage really.

But, umm... Spider-Man clones? How about all the Batman clones there are sure to be? In the end, it also doesn't matter. I'm just glad it is in. It may become default for my characters who don't actually have super powers, which is a lot of them. Unko will definately use it.

electro

I'm itching to see if I can bring some of my City O' Heroes toons over to Champions but, I will not be able to resist making an Electro or Ronan the Accuser clone at some point - I'm not really worried about seeing to many Spider-Man or Batman clones thow because those guys will get popped by the devs pretty quickly - Especially in the first year but, I am worried about to many grappling hookers filling the skyline - I mean how stupid would it look to see whole teams of grappling hookers everywhere you looked - With that said - Sadly i'll be up there with all the other hookers, hooking away for the first month or two LoL - Just cancelled my CoH account till I get a hands on with this game so they better not delay it or heads will roll :blink:

BentonGrey

Haha, Ronan the Accuser, huh?  Well, I imagine there won't be a surplus of him in the game. :D
God Bless