News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Old Is New Again?

Started by crimsonquill, February 07, 2009, 07:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crimsonquill

The X-Men Panel at NYCC this weekend revealed plans for bringing 2 titles back to life....

First, The Gold/Blue Team years are revisted in X-Men Forever with Chris Claremont back in the writing chair... ( :blink: )

QuoteThis weekend at the New York Comic Con—Marvel announced its plans for X-Men: Forever. Written by Claremont and drawn by Tom Grummett, X-Men Forever allows Claremont to pick up where he left off...18 years ago—just minutes after the Children of the Atom believed they had destroyed Magneto once and for all.

In a What If? style comic, The X-Men v2 issues 1 thru 3 (which were written and drawn back in 1991) are being kept but the rest of the comics run is being ignored in favor of Claremont's version of what would have happened if he stayed on that title...  :huh:

QuoteClaremont: Coming back to the X-Men is never difficult. Quite the contrary, it’s a true pleasure, like visiting old and dear friends. [X-Men] Forever allows me not just to pick up where I left off, but to show the reader the unexpected. Forever allows me to pick up where I left off with the freedom to take the series in whole new—and unfettered—directions. The characters here are totally up for grabs. All of the presumptions that we’ve gotten used to over time no longer apply; relationships that we’ve come to take for granted are suddenly cast in question.

Think about that a moment—say we’re used to a romantic relationship between a couple of characters. But suppose that applecart gets overturned, suppose one of the characters finds themselves attracted to someone new and unexpected, what then? Suppose we go down that road, where might it lead?

Readers will discover right from the start, in the on-line preview, the events of the “Magneto” trilogy which appeared to bring that story to its conclusion, burst open a door on a whole new world. I put it to readers who think they know me and the X-Canon—to guess correctly where I’m taking you from here—you have no idea.

And what was the other rebirth?

The New Mutants Return!!!!  :thumbup:

QuoteIn May, Marvel is relaunching New Mutants with writer Zeb Wells, this time focusing the ongoing series on "what happened next" to the characters from the beloved classic series.

We want this book to be the sequel to the 80's series," Wells said. "We want to do something that will let fans know how these characters turned out after they 'graduated.'"

Wells said that when Marvel editor Nick Lowe got in touch with him about the idea of a relaunch, everyone was on the same page, wanting to use as many of the classic characters as possible. To start, the team will feature Cannonball, Magma, Sunspot, Illyana, Xi'an, and Dani Moonstar.

"They're not all together when we start, but by the end of the first issue they're more or less functioning as a team," Wells said. "They're the classics. And you'll be seeing some more familiar faces very soon."

Quote"The New Mutants are the first batch of kids that were being trained in Xavier's school to actually graduate" he said. "And I don't mean that in the small 'they got a diploma' way...I mean they were being trained as X-Men and now, for all intents and purposes, that's what they are.

"That's not to say they're part of the X-Men team proper, but in the eyes of their peers they're qualified to act as an autonomous team," Wells explained. "They are adults. They're bonafide mutant heroes."

The writer said the focus will be on what it's like for these kids to become adults, and how their training and shared experience helps them with that transition.

Those are words are healing wounds.. finally The New Mutants are going to be reunited and treated like a real X-Men team while still in continuity with the rest of the x-titles. After all of the pain that Young X-Men gave us fans... it's time we get some old school love back from Marvel. However I'm wondering what fate shall be left of all of the Academy X students and hopefully they do not fall into limbo if not used in anywhere else.

This Summer could be pretty interesting....  :cool:

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

Podmark

I just want to clarify something X-Men v2 currently X-Men: Legacy is not being relaunched. X-Men Forever is a separate series.

Forever is a curious premise but I can't say I have any interest in modern Claremont.

I'll keep an eye on New Mutants. I'm not a big fan of Wells though, and the only New Mutant that I really really like is Cannonball. But I'll keep an eye on previews, see if it catches my eye.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Talavar

Claremont writing an X-men title, sadly, is no longer interesting.

thanoson

Hmm.... I wonder if Psylocke shows up? lol
Long live Slaanesh, Prince of Pain!!!

crimsonquill

Quote from: Podmark on February 07, 2009, 07:58:55 AM
I just want to clarify something X-Men v2 currently X-Men: Legacy is not being relaunched. X-Men Forever is a separate series.

Whoops... I didn't catch how that sounded apparently in the reread.. To me, X-Men Legacy was a launch of a new comic without changing the numbering to avoid adding another X-Title. I fixed the mistake to something more timeframe related but Claremont kinda sounds like he insists on calling it X-Men v2: The Lost Years. And apparently he still gets to keep his GeNext comic going futher as well with another 5 issue mini-series.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

lugaru

I have to agree... Clairmont writing X-Men is not part of my childhood except in some reprints in spanish and in issues of X-Men Classic. I found his stuff good, often hinting at a more grown up world but still a little short of people who built on his legacy and moved it forward. You know, it was like

Stan Lee (big words, interesting civilian identities and continuity)  -> Chriss Clairmont (romance, drama, heavier dialog) -> Grant Morrison (psychology, philosophy, sexuality) -> Present in which X-Men are intersting characters with motivations, histories, relationships and beliefs... except when writen as power rangers teaming up to beat up a badguy while making jokes.

cmdrkoenig67

Spoiler
I have to say Marvel's (Joe Q's) "dead means dead" policy from a few years ago is a huge joke...Magik, Cypher and Warlock are all back from the dead, not mention a plethora of others...Those mutants certainly don't stay dead very long.

Poor John Proudstar/Thunderbird I, Dead for years and yet now I hear he's being revived as some sort of techno-zombie.

Dana :rolleyes:

BTW:  Mr. Claremont really, really needs to move on...

Write something else for Dog's sake, Chris!

Podmark

Spoiler
Warlock was alive long before Joe Q took over. And Cypher still isn't currently back.

The Dead means dead thing was just a quote people got carried away with. I don't think it was ever intended as a lasting policy. And really it's kind of a good thing. I'll agree the revolving death door is very ridiculous these days, but still why would you handicap yourself by taking the option off the floor entirely.

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: Podmark on February 10, 2009, 05:59:41 AM
Spoiler
Warlock was alive long before Joe Q took over. And Cypher still isn't currently back.

The Dead means dead thing was just a quote people got carried away with. I don't think it was ever intended as a lasting policy. And really it's kind of a good thing. I'll agree the revolving death door is very ridiculous these days, but still why would you handicap yourself by taking the option off the floor entirely.

I agree with you, Pod...I don't feel characters should be left dead, if they can be used well by a writer, etc...

My biggest problem with this whole idea of a new New Mutants series being a sequel to the original, a "what happened next" story  is that we all know what happened next...We've already seen these kids grow up, fall in love, die, become X-Force, turn evil, become Valkyries, die, Become immortal, resurrect as merged beings, lose their powers, come out of the closet, die, Join kill-squad X-teams, etc...Not necessarilly in that order, of course.

I'm not saying that there aren't more stories to be written, but it just seems that most of the New Mutants have be ill-used and made stagnant by shuffling them off to limbo too often.  Really only Sam and Rahne are or have been members of the main X-Teams and those memberships always seem to be temporary.  Dani is no longer even considered a mutant and was kicked out of the school by Emma Frost (the B!#@%).

Dana