News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Young Masters Of Evil?

Started by crimsonquill, February 07, 2009, 06:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crimsonquill

During this weekend's NYCC convention.. new artwork was revealed for an upcoming title that will make fans of Young Avengers happy. Dark Reign is allowing Norman Osbourne to hunt up some new talent for his crime syndicate and this comic will introduce his first class of students... many of them taking on old well-known names.

Let me introduce... Young Masters Of Evil!.. wait.. Young Avengers?!

and who are they?

(In case you can't read the text: Egghead, Enchantress, The Executioner, Big Zero, Coat Of Arms, and Melter.)

QuoteDark Reign: Young Avengers is a new five-issue mini-series beginning in May that will have focus on what the young heroes do when the Dark Avengers and New Avengers are at odds -- because they are at odds with a new band of young people who steal their name. It will be written by Paul Cornell with art by Mark Brooks.

Cornell said the mini-series will be about superheroes that live in New York. A slide showed heroes named Enchantress, Egghead, Coat of Arms, Executioner, Melter, and Big Zero. They have grabbed the Young Avengers name during Dark Reign. And Eli and the rest of the Young Avengers are put into exactly the same position that the New Avengers were put into when the Dark Avengers took their name. "I'm loving it," the British writer said to cheers.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

Podmark

Me so very excited!!

But I'm still sick of Young Avengers filler. Darn you Heinberg!!!
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Jakew

Young Masters of Evil has been on the cards for awhile ... it's interesting that its tieing into Dark Reign.

The costume designs are a bit meh!, although I like Melter.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Jakew on February 09, 2009, 12:38:26 AM

Agreed.

crimsonquill

More details about the team were released during a special press conference at NYCC this weekend...

QuoteThe 'Young Avengers'!

That is, the Melter (who's got the vaguely useless organic power to melt anything, and is trying to figure out a way to make it work for him, while trying to stay in charge of the group, and in issue one stumbles into doing something hideous); the Enchantress (his sometime girlfriend, who insists she's from Asgard, but can't quite get the speech habits right, and is dangerously random); the Executioner (an organised and ruthless urban vigilante, who kills criminal scum, and what's the difference between him and the Punisher, exactly? No, go on, what?); Big Zero (who can grow to giant size, or shrink to microscopic, she's a white power skinhead who's organising a rebellion against the US Federal government from the Microverse); Coat of Arms (an accomplished artist whose subject is super heroes, she put the Melter in charge, and organises the team into 'scenes' like foiling a bank raid or fighting another super hero team) and Egghead (their terrifyingly cracked android).

These are teen heroes on the run from the establishment, trying to get by, based in their invisible mansion in Central Park. Eli absolutely hates that they've taken the YA name, and feels kind of hypocritical about that at the same time. So he's going to give this worrying mixture of error, bigotry and hope a chance. But this really isn't going to go well.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

Courtnall6

Quote from: AfghanAnt on February 09, 2009, 01:33:23 AM

Agreed.

Funny...since Melter's design is the most "meh" of all! :lol:
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

cmdrkoenig67

Meh?  I'm more inclined to say bleh...Although, Coat of Arms made laugh out loud.

Dana

detourne_me

Quote from: Courtnall6 on February 09, 2009, 04:03:34 AM

Agreed.

His design looks like me on a saturday night,  right down to the patterned slip-ons. but i wear a flash shirt

thanoson

SO, why is the Enchantress on a team called the Young Avengers? And isn't Melter kinda old too?
Long live Slaanesh, Prince of Pain!!!

AfghanAnt

Quote from: thanoson on February 09, 2009, 05:17:10 PM
SO, why is the Enchantress on a team called the Young Avengers? And isn't Melter kinda old too?

They are new characters.

cmdrkoenig67

Spoilers...

...But is this the old Enchantress (Amora) in a teen's body?  Coat of Arms looks an awful lot like Spiral (in disquise), with her six arms and swords.

Dana

AfghanAnt

Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on February 09, 2009, 06:25:53 PM
Spoilers...

...But is this the old Enchantress (Amora) in a teen's body?  Coat of Arms looks an awful lot like Spiral (in disquise), with her six arms and swords.

Dana

Not sure whether it is her or not (it might be since the last time we saw Amora she was reborn in a major city which is most likely NYC). Coat of Arms can't be Spiral. she just showed up in UXM in the Sisterhood of Mutants (even though she is not a mutant).

cmdrkoenig67

Zippo

This is certainly interesting... colour me intrigued. At the very least, if other iterations of Young Avengers do well, we might get them back in their own ongoing series. I hope...

Jakew

Quote from: Courtnall6 on February 09, 2009, 04:03:34 AM

Agreed.

I think Melter's costume is supposed to be deliberately meh!/average (ala Runaways), as opposed to Big Zero's design for example, which reeks of "alternative" try-hard.

Podmark

Quote from: Zippo on February 09, 2009, 11:03:46 PM
This is certainly interesting... colour me intrigued. At the very least, if other iterations of Young Avengers do well, we might get them back in their own ongoing series. I hope...

It's not a question of whether Young Avengers does well. It's simply Marvel chose to wait for their creator Alan Heinberg to be available to continue the series.

One day we'll get a new ongoing, one day.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Jakew

cmdrkoenig67

AH HA!  The Enchantress is Amora (the Asgardian).

Dana

marhawkman

Interesting I found another neato hint!

About Amora: "She's the only one on the team that has a past in the Marvel Universe that people could look up."

Thus the "cold hearted" person with six arms can't be Spiral.

So with the Asgardian restart did she get reset to a teen?