News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Mxy and Mite

Started by Gremlin, February 05, 2009, 12:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gremlin

Love them or hate them, these buggers are some of the most powerful entities in the DCU. What the weirdest, coolest, and most interesting stuff you've seen these little imps do?  Other fifth dimensional beings like Qwisp and the Thunderbolt are cool, too.

UnkoMan

Well, there's World's Funnest. That entire comic is basically awesome.

To be honest, I love Mr. Mxyzptlk, though I like Mr. Mxyztplk's look better. The purple suit look is cooler, though the orange costume is how I first learned of the character.

And I haven't even seen him in that much stuff. But what I have was a fun, funny romp. Except for that one after Day of Vengeance. Where he's got the purple suit, but he can't get back home, then he takes a Kryptonite arrow for Superman and dies but not really.

DrMike2000

Definitely one of the stranger stories I've ever read was this...

Legion of Superheroes in the old 60's version, before the "Disco Legion" of the 70s revamp, this was back when the girls all had Doris Day haircuts. I read this in one of those little digest reprints.

The Legion encounter a "masked man" - he's a guy in a black costume with an golden mask, who seems to have limitless powers. In the course of one of his feats, his artificial legs get ripped off, revealing shorter legs underneath. The crowd react predictably - "Haw haw! Look at the little shrimp!" and other such enlightened 30th Century expressions of the tolerance and unity which the Legion is famed for.
Suitably ticked off, the Masked Man proceeds to kill off the Legion one by one.
Superboy is the only one left, and the Masked Man now revelas that he's a descendant of Mr Mxyzptlk (hence his amazing powers and lack of stature) and now hes going to kill him too. Superboys cleverly sets up these sort of eight moons with the letters M X Y Z P T L K on them to bob over the horizon, hoping his adversary will read them backwards. And he's whipped upa quick time reverser. "Haha ha!" Says the Masked Man! "You're hoping I'll read them the right way round so that the time inverter makes me say my name backwards. Just to tease you I'll say it backwards so it comes out forwards!" Superboy zaps the wiring of the time reverse with his heat vision, the Masked Man says his name backwards and the Legion all come back to life none the wiser.

(The crowd who originally teased the Masked Man for being short presumably remember nothing either, and go their merry way looking for the next victim to taunt over some minor physical difference..)

This was the first time I'd come across Mr Mxyzptlk or his kind, and understandably thought they were a pretty lame idea.

Since then, I've thrilled to their exploits as they:
- turn people into Ice Cream, brick or trees-for-legs
- animate entire buildings, always with crazy toothy faces
- force the Flash and Superman to race along a ribbon that negates Supe's flight powers
- create multicoloured Green Lantern style fighter planes and other such weapons

I do get the feeling they've never really cut loose. They should for example, be able to turn Superman into a housecat, or turn the world inside out and have it populated with dinosaurs in business suits. If they wanted to...

My suggested reading:
JLA 28-31 Crisis Times Five!
All Star Superman #6
Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com