Trying to make Attribute Combinations

Started by Failed_Hero, January 30, 2009, 03:12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Failed_Hero

Primary: C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffx
Secondary: C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffx
Game EXE: C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffvt3r.exe
Output: C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffx\Lang

My game works, and some of the pre-created combo's are working (as in showing up in the Control Centre), however anytime I try to script a combo it get the ATTRIBUTE_Blank error.

I would love to get a nanite armor attribute, that was armored regeneration, and invurnerble 5 working.  Any help would be appreciated let me know if I can get you any other information.
At the end of the day all that matter is that I tried, right?

stumpy

To double-check, I notice the mod is ffx. Are you sure you don't have FFX installed under ffx3, which is the default?

Quote from: Failed_Hero on January 30, 2009, 03:12:14 AM
Secondary: C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffx
You probably want that to be
C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data

Quote from: Failed_Hero on January 30, 2009, 03:12:14 AM
Output: C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffx\Lang

Try that as
C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffx\Lang\English

Quote from: Failed_Hero on January 30, 2009, 03:12:14 AMI would love to get a nanite armor attribute, that was armored regeneration, and invurnerble 5 working. 

(I may be misreading that, but it sounds like you want to create a combo attribute with ARMORED, REGENERATIVE, and 5 points of INVULNERABLE.)

Quite a few built-in attributes aren't able to be used in combo attributes and ARMORED is one of those that cannot be used. There is a list of combinable attributes in the FFX manual.

For the other two, if you create the attribute in the Attributes tab in FFEdit as nanitearmor, then make sure the following line is in ffxmulti.py
['nanitearmor','invulnerable','superhealer',],
That should do it.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Failed_Hero

I made those changes and saved the file as ffxmulit.py and I still got the error.

stumpy

You mean you are still not getting the right name and description of your combo attribute in the Attributes screen in the game? After making the changes above, did you regenerate the language files in FFEdit again and then restart the game?

(I am assuming you meant ffxmulti.py.)

If you are still having trouble, trying running the LangTest utility and post the langtest.exe.report file that it generates. If there are any errors, post them.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Failed_Hero

Nanite Armor

eport generated by C:\Documents and Settings\Isaac Davenport\Desktop\langtest\langtest.exe on Sat Jan 31 22:07:44 2009

MODNAME = ffx
CHARNAME = nanitearmor
PrimaryDataPath = C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffx
LangInputDir =
LangInputDir will default to C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffx\lang\english
LangOutputDir = C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffx\Lang\English
nanitearmor does NOT have a characters.dat entry
nanitearmor does NOT have an objects.dat entry
nanitearmor does have an attributes.dat entry
file <C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffx\Lang\English\strings.dat> created on Sun Apr 01 18:30:22 2007
DAT had NO name entry for nanitearmor
DAT had NO desc entry for nanitearmor
DAT had NO attribute name entry for nanitearmor
DAT had NO attribute desc entry for nanitearmor
file <C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffx\lang\english\strings.txt> created on Fri Jan 30 22:02:44 2009
TEXT had NO name entry for nanitearmor
TEXT had NO desc entry for nanitearmor
TEXT had NO attribute name entry for nanitearmor
TEXT had NO attribute desc entry for nanitearmor
characters.dat entry for 'nanitearmor':
None
objects.dat entry for 'nanitearmor':
None
attributes.dat entry for 'nanitearmor':

Basically it says it doesn't exist lol

stumpy

Hmm. It says a couple of things that may be trouble.

The attribute is listed in your attributes.dat file. That's a good start. (Though the cost is given as 0 CP, when it probably ought to be like 1650 CP.)

[EDIT]
The big issue is that there are no entries for that attribute among your descriptions. Have you added the nanitearmor attribute descriptions and such to strings.txt? They don't appear to be in there. Post the lines you added for this attribute in the C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffx\Lang\English\strings.txt file and we can see if there is a problem there.

It further appears that the strings.dat file hasn't been changed since last April and it has no nanitearmor entries. This will prevent the right descriptions from showing up in the game, since this is where the game looks for them. The likely causes are that 1) FFEdit hasn't been used to generate language files for this mod since then or 2) perhaps the language DAT files in your C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffx\Lang\English folder are read-only. You can change that by right-clicking on the files, choosing Properties, and then making sure the Read-only box is not checked.

Failed_Hero

I went back and removed the read only in properties, and generated the language files and here is the report.

Report generated by C:\Documents and Settings\Isaac Davenport\Desktop\langtest\langtest.exe on Sun Feb 01 08:30:30 2009

MODNAME = ffx
CHARNAME = nanitearmor
PrimaryDataPath = C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffx
LangInputDir =
LangInputDir will default to C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffx\lang\english
LangOutputDir = C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffx\Lang\English
nanitearmor does NOT have a characters.dat entry
nanitearmor does NOT have an objects.dat entry
nanitearmor does have an attributes.dat entry
file <C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffx\Lang\English\strings.dat> created on Sun Feb 01 08:17:36 2009
DAT had NO name entry for nanitearmor
DAT had NO desc entry for nanitearmor
DAT had NO attribute name entry for nanitearmor
DAT had NO attribute desc entry for nanitearmor
file <C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffx\lang\english\strings.txt> created on Fri Jan 30 22:02:44 2009
TEXT had NO name entry for nanitearmor
TEXT had NO desc entry for nanitearmor
TEXT had NO attribute name entry for nanitearmor
TEXT had NO attribute desc entry for nanitearmor
characters.dat entry for 'nanitearmor':
None
objects.dat entry for 'nanitearmor':
None
attributes.dat entry for 'nanitearmor':

and the code for the description

ATTRIB_ZATANNA_01, zatanna (combo)
ATTRIB_ZATANNA_DESC_01, as the daughter of a homi magi and a powerful human magician, zatanna has a unique genetic structure that allows her to use the magic she was born with as well as learned magic. combines earth control, fire control, ice control, weather control, puppet master (nature), and super telekinesis.
ATTRIB_NANITEARMOR_01, nanitearmor (combo)
ATTRIB_NANITEARMOR_DESC_01, you are in control of a technological wonder a protective armor that rengernates the damage done to it Invulnerable 5, grim resolve, and regeneration.

stumpy

The read-only change allowed a new strings.dat file to be regenerated, so that's one problem solved.

But, the descriptions (which appear to be formatted correctly) are not being found in strings.txt. The only causes that come to mind are either that the strings.txt file you are editing is not really C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffx\lang\english\strings.txt or that your editor is adding odd characters to the file that confuse the language file generation in FFEdit. What program are you using to edit the strings file? And, are you sure it is saving as strings.txt and not under some other name or in some other place? To check that you are looking at the real, full file name when you look at folders, see this entry in the Game FAQ.

Failed_Hero

Stumpy,

Thanks for all your help, I finally got them working.  I just hope that as I continue to make attributes i'll be able to keep them working.