News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Limit on number of built-ins

Started by apfarmakis, January 25, 2009, 11:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apfarmakis

I know I have seen this question before but I can't seem to find it in the archives so here goes: Is there a limit on the number of built-in characters you can make via FFEdit before FFX goes wonky due to the need for the complex attribute being used?
Like an eye that sees but cannot see itself,
Like a sword that cuts but cannot cut itself.

daglob

I don't know a out the built-ins, but around 2500-3000 custom meshes my computer starts to have trouble (curse you FastHeap). People with more memory might have a higher number.

tommyboy

Quote from: apfarmakis on January 25, 2009, 11:21:31 PM
I know I have seen this question before but I can't seem to find it in the archives so here goes: Is there a limit on the number of built-in characters you can make via FFEdit before FFX goes wonky due to the need for the complex attribute being used?

If I remember right, there is both a limit to what FFX allows, AND a built in limit to the number of characters you can set in the Dats anyway, regardless of FFX.
Big "IF" though, as I haven't Modded in a while.
Oh, and I can't recall either number..if they exist..

detourne_me

Quote from: daglob on January 26, 2009, 02:38:41 AM
I don't know a out the built-ins, but around 2500-3000 custom meshes my computer starts to have trouble (curse you FastHeap). People with more memory might have a higher number.

I was just wondering about this too actually.
I know that having a lot of hero files to load up takes up system resources, but I was also wondering about having so much content in the custom folder...
does this affect gameplay as well?

M25

FFX uses the numbers 1000+ as the complex attribute for hero files and I think it makes assumptions as to whether or not something is a hero file vs. a built-in based on the number.  So, theoretically, the limit is 999.  I don't know if the game itself can handle that many entries though.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

daglob

My comptuer barely runs FF as it is, so my results may not be typical. I first had the FastHeap error when I got over 3600 Hero files. I was told the "FastHeap" error meant that I was out of resources/memory. There were a lot of duplicates (six skins for Male Hulking Thing meant six hero files, exactly the same- nine skins that go on Plastic Man meant nine hero files, plus a couple that I was experimenting with, ditto Spider Man, Superman, Daredevil, Batman, The Hulk, etc.). I copied all the files to another folder, then started deleting files. At around 3000 files, I quit getting the FastHeap error, although I had a 15 minute loading time. I cut back to 2500 Hero files and the loading time dropped to around 10 minutes. But then I kept geting all these neat skins and meshes, and I made some skins and scoped some meshes, and at around 3000 meshes, FastHeap came back. I had taken the meshes from several mods and added them to the Custom Characters, and I knew I had a lot of duplicates. So I went through and tried to eliminate the dupes. Then I took some of the lesser-used meshes (X-Com, which I was using for bad guys), all the non-effects basic male and female meshes (switched everything to the effects meshes), some stuff that I liked, but just didn't use often, and put them in another directory. I got the number of meshes down below 3000. It still loads slow, but unless I play someone like Captain Everything or the villain has Private Army, it will run. Or maybe stagger is the right word.

I'm still working on it.

It doesn't help, I imagine, that I constantly make skins for characters that y'all never see.