News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Mod Discussion

Started by Green Hornet, January 25, 2009, 03:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommyboy

Please respond to my Poll on Benton's Mod if this subject interests you.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: H0UR_MAN on January 27, 2009, 04:00:15 PM
Quote from: ips on January 27, 2009, 03:55:18 PM
Quote from: H0UR_MAN on January 27, 2009, 03:50:02 PM
Quote from: ips on January 27, 2009, 03:40:22 PM
so we don't need to discuss forum policy then in 30 days... it' all just been a ploy to discuss benton's mod? is this correct? and the mod really probably isn't very dead then? is this also correct? i'm feeling a little mislead if so.

paranoid much? this is why i dont post on a regular basis. delusional, self-righteous, "me" complexes. not every comment has been about this mod or about you. mellow out, calm down. take a breather. stop driving us new content creators away with such negativity.

i've heard from several people now, that that is the case. but thanks for calling me paranoid.

nothing personal.

Really? You sound like TMX yesterday calling me an elitist. If you guys don't think the name calling is personal, you really should check your self in the mirror.

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteEither way, I don't think he should canceled his mod. That was never my intention, I thought maybe he should hold off on some of the content he packaged until he actually used (if he ever was going too).

He's stated that this will never happen.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: H0UR_MAN on January 27, 2009, 04:05:22 PM
nope, nothing personal. just going by what i've read in the various threads.

Wow, it's funny. When content creators are giving you things, they are the "best" and "I love you man" the moment they say something you don't like they are "paranoid", "self-righteous", and "elitist". I will personally keep all these notes in mind for any time in the future I start to skin or skope anything.

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on January 27, 2009, 04:12:37 PM
QuoteEither way, I don't think he should canceled his mod. That was never my intention, I thought maybe he should hold off on some of the content he packaged until he actually used (if he ever was going too).

He's stated that this will never happen.

But why? If you know it will shut up people and it will make this community go back to some form of normal why not do it? Isn't that doing the right thing rather than holding out and refusing to release your hardwork as anything other than what you want?

catwhowalksbyhimself

Because doing so would be, at least to him, surrendering and letting the other side have it's way, a side which he believes is wrong. Besides, his DCU would essentially be dead, because the campaigns were just a bonus to him, the real mod was the entire DC universe converted to FF format, so that release would not be his mod at all.

Now that is not the approach I would take.  My approach would be to keep the original up but add the streamlined only what's used in a mod version for those who didn't want the sandbox or who wanted a lighter download.  But Benton is not me.

Quotenope, nothing personal. just going by what i've read in the various threads.

When you call somebody names like "paranoid" it is always personal, especially when you do it based solely on guesses and assumptions.  IPS had good reason to wonder these things, although they are baseless rumors and guesses are far as I know, but he has no way of knowing one way or the other.

H0UR_MAN

take what i've said however you want. personally, i have never commented in your skins thread, or ips's. i have never claimed that anyone is great, or that anyone is not. my opinion's are only based on what i've read in various threads throughout the forum. but that's all they are, opinions. no one needs to listen to them or take them seriously. i have no real issues against anyone.
that being said, i have not downloaded much community content. i mostly customize the irrational content which came with the game. i have chosen not to release what i have tinkered with strictly because there has never seemed to be a real interest in what i have. this way, no one can compare what i have done with others work. this way, i dont have to worry about my skins being used in a way i dont like. i stay happy, no one gets hurt feelings.

Vertex

Quote from: H0UR_MAN on January 27, 2009, 04:33:26 PM
take what i've said however you want. personally, i have never commented in your skins thread, or ips's. i have never claimed that anyone is great, or that anyone is not. my opinion's are only based on what i've read in various threads throughout the forum. but that's all they are, opinions. no one needs to listen to them or take them seriously. i have no real issues against anyone.
that being said, i have not downloaded much community content. i mostly customize the irrational content which came with the game. i have chosen not to release what i have tinkered with strictly because there has never seemed to be a real interest in what i have. this way, no one can compare what i have done with others work. this way, i dont have to worry about my skins being used in a way i dont like. i stay happy, no one gets hurt feelings.

I consider that a crying shame (your not releasing your work) Yes I make stuff now and have for quite some time, but I remember what it was like when I couldn't. I hate to know people are out there making stuff and not releasing it for the rest of us to enjoy (god that sounds kinda selfish in a weird sort of way but  :P)
A wise man knows, he knows nothing
I must be the wisest man on Earth,
cause I don't know squat

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quotethis way, i dont have to worry about my skins being used in a way i dont like. i stay happy, no one gets hurt feelings.

Except when you appear solely, it seems, to call people names.  You have yet to apologize for this, and it doesn't matter whether you name calling is based on your observations or not.

H0UR_MAN

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on January 27, 2009, 04:40:44 PM
Quotethis way, i dont have to worry about my skins being used in a way i dont like. i stay happy, no one gets hurt feelings.

Except when you appear solely, it seems, to call people names.  You have yet to apologize for this, and it doesn't matter whether you name calling is based on your observations or not.

i will apologize, if nothing more, than to reiterate the fact that i have no personal issues against anyone.

Quote from: Vertex on January 27, 2009, 04:39:48 PM

I consider that a crying shame (your not releasing your work) Yes I make stuff now and have for quite some time, but I remember what it was like when I couldn't. I hate to know people are out there making stuff and not releasing it for the rest of us to enjoy (god that sounds kinda selfish in a weird sort of way but  :P)

the skins that i have made are only for irrational meshes. and by no means are they of the same quality as other members of the boards. had i ever thought that there was a demand, i would have released them. but after current debates, it wont happen.

AfghanAnt

I never claimed you did. I said people. If anything my comments are a generalization of how people thank you one minute and calling you names the next around these parts.

Also if you have never released and you don't download, why are you lurking and commenting on topics that are purely about content creators who are active? Maybe you should stop trolling and go sit down somewhere.

Quote from: H0UR_MAN on January 27, 2009, 04:46:05 PM
i will apologize, if nothing more, than to reiterate the fact that i have no personal issues against anyone.

You can honestly keep your half-arse apology.

TaskMasterX

Quote from: ips on January 27, 2009, 03:31:41 PM
we agreed to discuss forum policies in 30 days. not benton's mod.
Who is included in this "we"? And where did I mention anything about Bent's mod in my suggested rules? There's already people posting about what the rules are for releasing mods. I'm merely trying to get the ball rolling. I never said I'd hold off for 30 days. And, according to AA, since I'm a content creator, I have the right to speak about this whenever I want.

TaskMasterX

Quote from: ips on January 27, 2009, 04:51:27 PM
"we" being everyone in this thread. including you and tommy. if you didn't agree then you would have said you didn't agree and kept posting. i would think this was understood.
I would have thought that me posting would have been easily understood that I'm not in agreement with holding off the discussion.
What isn't easily understood are the ones that say they want to hold off, keep coming into this thread and posting.

Johnny Patches

Why can't we be friends

I seen ya around for a long long time
I really remember you when you drank my wine

Why can't we be friends

I'd seen ya walkin' down in Chinatown
I called ya but you could not look around

Why can't we be friends

I pay my money to the welfare line
I see ya standing in it every time

Why can't we be friends

The color of your skin don't matter to me
As long as we can live in harmony

Why can't we be friends

I'd kinda' like to be the president
So I could show you how your money's spent

Why can't we be friends

Sometimes I don't speak right
But yet I know what I'm talking about

Why can't we be friends

I know you're working for the CIA
They wouldn't have you in the mafia

Why can't we be friends

AfghanAnt

This may be elitist but whatever this is what I sent to TMX.

If anyone has a say in a community that exist because of content creators, what leverage do we have as actual contributors to this community? We keep this community relevant so if someone who mostly post in the request forum has just as much say as me why should I bother contributing? Where the value prop? Also how are freeloaders and other noobs telling us how our work should be distributed? This isn't a fight about ideas, it's about content. Noobs can post whatever they want but I don't think they have the authority to start a topic especially when I know their motives are purely in their own interest.

If I'm being snarky again, chalk it up to me being "elitist".

Also what is 30 days going to do besides drag this thing out? We keep saying we are going to wait but for what?

catwhowalksbyhimself

The way I think of it, everyone has a right to speak, but everyone does not have a right to be listened.

In addition, having a right to do something is not the same thing as it being right for you to do so.

The OP may have had to right to call for rules on mod even though he created nothing, but it was not right for him to do so.

TaskMasterX

Quote from: ips on January 27, 2009, 04:59:55 PM
that would be people wanting to argue still and not discuss things.

go ahead if you'd like to discuss the issues still, why haven't you posted any of your concerns. all i'm seeing is "we still want to argue" posts.
Once you changed your Avatar I stopped arguing. I then started acting a little silly. But then I got serious and posted my suggested rules. I wasn't arguing when I posted the rules, what made you think that?

TaskMasterX

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on January 27, 2009, 05:08:01 PM
The OP may have had to right to call for rules on mod even though he created nothing, but it was not right for him to do so.
Which is why I told AA, that all that needed to be done was to ignore the thread in the first place instead of posting snarky comments.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: TaskMasterX on January 27, 2009, 05:10:42 PM
Which is why I told AA, that all that needed to be done was to ignore the thread in the first place instead of posting snarky comments.
I'll let cat handle this one for me.
The way I think of it, everyone has a right to speak, but everyone does not have a right to be listened.

Quote from: ips on January 27, 2009, 05:12:27 PM
great. so i'll reply in 30 days to discussion pertinent posts if i feel inclined. and everyone else can do as they please. i personally want the break.
Yeah, seriously.

Vertex

I'm really starting to feel neglected here  :(

Can't we all agree that I'mtrying to take over the world?
A wise man knows, he knows nothing
I must be the wisest man on Earth,
cause I don't know squat

murs47

Did I say talk? I don't think so. Creators create....so do it!

*assembles guillotine*

Now!

doctorchallenger

He has a right but it was not right... I'm sorry, I just can't wrap my head around this. For purposes of clarification, at what point does a community member have both the right to speak their mind on an issue and it is also right for him or her to do so?

catwhowalksbyhimself

That is matter for good common sense and partly a matter of opinion.  Demanding that other people do something that he is not involved in does seem to me not a good thing to do.

doctorchallenger

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on January 27, 2009, 07:01:37 PM
That is matter for good common sense and partly a matter of opinion.  Demanding that other people do something that he is not involved in does seem to me not a good thing to do.

Cat,

While I think that your response is reasonable both in terms of analytical and emotional content, I think the issue here is that there are differing opinions, resulting from differing frames of reference, suggesting that the notions that are held in common, i.e. common sense, are, unfortunately, limited in number.  I believe that while "common sense" is an ideal worth striving for, I do not believe that it develops either spontaneously or organically.  I think it is negotiated through the airing of differing opinions and trying to reach a working accord (not necessarilly, but sometimes, a formal agreement) on how to proceed in the future.  

Gremlin

Quote from: doctorchallenger on January 27, 2009, 07:20:33 PM

Cat,

While I think that your response is reasonable both in terms of analytical and emotional content, I think the issue here is that there are differing opinions, resulting from differing frames of reference, suggesting that the notions that are held in common, i.e. common sense, are, unfortunately, limited in number.  I believe that while "common sense" is an ideal worth striving for, I do not believe that it develops either spontaneously or organically.  I think it is negotiated through the airing of differing opinions and trying to reach a working accord (not necessarilly, but sometimes, a formal agreement) on how to proceed in the future.  

Quite so. The problem is that here, most of what has been going on is not airing a different opinion as much as it is character attacks and insults. If someone who doesn't contribute much artistically to the community has some insight to offer, by all means, please share. The problem is when someone who is unrelated to the issue steps up to make a judgement call. That is most assuredly never the right thing to do. Heck, it's wrong for people who are involved in the whole thing to make it personal and judgemental.

doctorchallenger

Quote from: ips on January 27, 2009, 07:51:21 PM
the problem with inviting someone in that has no background, is that they lack the knowledge to create not just an opinion, but an informed one.

and
Demanding that other people do something that he is not involved in does seem to me not a good thing to do.

how does that account for decisions made by entire bodies of people that are not involved directly in the issues. civil and human rights decisions for example.

that mentality is a complete fallacy. we are all connected. decisions made, may appear specific and on a small scale but can and usually do have larger implications for the larger whole, admit it or not. that is the problem here - not everyone understands that.

I while I agee with your closing statement - we are all connected and a small events, regardless of intend, do not have simple, limited effects, but create and sustain larger, lasting patterns of action - I am troubled by your opening statement.  The inference (for lack of a better word) is that people are uninformed - that is the implication of "no background."  I would suggest that they are differently informed, as unwieldy as that term sounds.  As such, they are drawing their opinion from a different set of experiences and a different set of sensiblities, thus reaching different conclusions.  To say that one has no background invalidates the experience of that person, thus depriving them of their right to express their opinion. 

AfghanAnt

Again I will state I do not speak for anyone else besides myself (though people keep putting me and IPS as a team when the truth is we have different opinions on the matter but I guess that irrelevant when everyone thinks you are both wrong even if it is in different ways) and while I think my opinion should matter in redistributing of content through this forum because I have been active for many years and given so freely to everyone here regardless of receiving, if my opinion is not the same as the "group" I don't think I should be verbally assassinated because of how I feel (which I have been multiple times in the last two days).

Shazam

You know what? If I was someone first coming to this community, with the intention of making some content and I came across this thread, I'd be thinking to myself, "I think I'll give this place a wide birth"

How anyone expects this community to survive much less increase is beyond me.
These type of threads with heavy discussions of politics are going to scare people away. Anyone who wishes to do anything mod related will take the attitude of "stuff it, it isn't worth the agro!"
Pursue perfection, but accept excellence.
http://www.tskr.webeden.co.uk/

TaskMasterX

Quote from: AfghanAnt on January 27, 2009, 09:20:28 PM
Again I will state I do not speak for anyone else besides myself...
Good. That's all any of us expect you to do.
Quote from: AfghanAnt on January 27, 2009, 09:20:28 PM(though people keep putting me and IPS as a team when the truth is we have different opinions on the matter but I guess that irrelevant when everyone thinks you are both wrong even if it is in different ways)
So, stop speaking for IPS and get on with speaking for yourself. When you defend IPS but then say your views are different, that's very confusing.

Quote from: AfghanAnt on January 27, 2009, 09:20:28 PMand while I think my opinion should matter in redistributing of content through this forum because I have been active for many years and given so freely to everyone here regardless of receiving,
No. Your opinion only matters when it comes to redistributing YOUR content through these forums. Your years of giving freely to the community does not make your opinion count as anything when it comes to redistributing my or any other content creators' creations.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: TaskMasterX on January 28, 2009, 02:44:06 AM
Quote from: AfghanAnt on January 27, 2009, 09:20:28 PM
Again I will state I do not speak for anyone else besides myself...
Good. That's all any of us expect you to do.
Quote from: AfghanAnt on January 27, 2009, 09:20:28 PM(though people keep putting me and IPS as a team when the truth is we have different opinions on the matter but I guess that irrelevant when everyone thinks you are both wrong even if it is in different ways)
So, stop speaking for IPS and get on with speaking for yourself. When you defend IPS but then say your views are different, that's very confusing.

Quote from: AfghanAnt on January 27, 2009, 09:20:28 PMand while I think my opinion should matter in redistributing of content through this forum because I have been active for many years and given so freely to everyone here regardless of receiving,
No. Your opinion only matters when it comes to redistributing YOUR content through these forums. Your years of giving freely to the community does not make your opinion count as anything when it comes to redistributing my or any other content creators' creations.

If you have something to say to me, why not in private? I sent you several messages in private but you choose to reply to these in public? Why? You want to show that can bait people into a fight? Or that you don't understand I can disagree with a friend's position but I can still defend him? Either way, this is all uncalled for because I was stating my stance since people keep telling me where I stand on this matter without reading what I typed. So you and anyone else who has something to say to me, please feel free to use the pm button. These public argument are just making this whole community worse but maybe that is another part of "greater good" of the community I just don't understand.

TaskMasterX

Whoah! Who's baiting? I read everything you've typed lately. I'm allowed to respond to it.

And if you want the truth to be known, yes, you did send me several PMs, most of which I replied too. Then you told me not to PM you anymore, then sent me offensive PMs after telling me that, and then blocked me from replying back via PM. How childish is that?