News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Mod Discussion

Started by Green Hornet, January 25, 2009, 03:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M25

IPS, I think the avatar is fine now.  If others are offended by it, they can chime in.

I'd get the psd, but I wouldn't know what to do with it anyway.  And, no, I'm not asking anyone to make me anything.

Hopefully we can let this drop for the time being.

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: Previsionary on January 26, 2009, 02:25:38 AM
Quote from: ips on January 26, 2009, 12:58:21 AM
anyone ever use it?

Syn (or HQ) vs. Vlad. I'm pretty sure it was used once for them. Hrm.

*attempts to not step in any of the active mine fields in this thread*

Re: Thunderdome

You're close, Prev.....the only time I remember seeing it used was Syn vs. Monkey-boy (I don't feel like hurting my brain remembering his exact nick, but most of us should remember), I think over the whole "Eat a bowl of........" issue.  Syn was the clear winner.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

TaskMasterX

Quote from: Vertex on January 26, 2009, 07:31:21 PM
You heard the man.. so please feel fee to send me bowls of shrimp gumbo, chili, or fried chicken.. dang it my wife doesn't cook any of this stuff and I've been married 8 years!!! I need food!
Well, I'll pitch in my Mom's Famous Fried Chicken. I'll tell you what - one-half of my Mom's chicken for every Vertex mesh released. :P

NOTE: Payment will be in KFC gift certificates since my Mom isn't talking to me after I sold her recipe to the Colonel.

Vertex

Quote from: TaskMasterX on January 26, 2009, 08:33:43 PM
You heard the man.. so please feel fee to send me bowls of shrimp gumbo, chili, or fried chicken.. dang it my wife doesn't cook any of this stuff and I've been married 8 years!!! I need food!
Well, I'll pitch in my Mom's Famous Fried Chicken. I'll tell you what - one-half of my Mom's chicken for every Vertex mesh released. :P

NOTE: Payment will be in KFC gift certificates since the Colonel stole her recipe.

For the record people..

I HAVE THIS IN WRITING!!!

I'm gonna get fed.. prepare for a colossal flood of meshes.. I'm gonna be a big fat mesher soon.
A wise man knows, he knows nothing
I must be the wisest man on Earth,
cause I don't know squat

murs47

It's become pretty clear that this forum lacks direction and unity. So I, murs47, man of men, will lead us to utopia. Name your children after me and send me all your custom creations for approval. We don't need rules, what we need are my narrow minded opinions dictating the progress of the community.

President Raygun

CRISIS - OF INIFINITE POSTS

The Hitman

Quote from: President Raygun on January 26, 2009, 08:58:36 PM
CRISIS - OF INIFINITE POSTS

HAH! That made me laugh out loud at work. Now customers are looking at me weird...

President Raygun

JUST WANNA HELP LIGHTEN THE MOOD A BIT

yell0w_lantern

That's cool, Murs. Can I be Bob, Agent of Hydra?
Yellow Lantern smash!

murs47

Quote from: yell0w_lantern on January 26, 2009, 09:03:37 PM
That's cool, Murs. Can I be Bob, Agent of Hydra?

No, only Bob can be Bob. This kind of insubordination is unneeded here at FR. You are now banned.

Let that be a lesson to all of you.

AfghanAnt

So our only choices are a dictatorship or chaos? What about communism?

murs47

Quote from: AfghanAnt on January 26, 2009, 09:22:53 PM
So our only choices are a dictatorship or chaos? What about communism?

There are no choices in a dictatorship. Banned.

H0UR_MAN

o king of kings, master murs. ban me too! ban me too! :D

murs47

Quote from: H0UR_MAN on January 26, 2009, 10:08:41 PM
o king of kings, master murs. ban me too! ban me too! :D

No! I do what I want, not what you want. Temporary suspension for you.

yell0w_lantern

Hello, I am new here. My name is nretnal_w0lley.
Let me show some pics of some sweet meshes made by a friend of mine.
Yellow Lantern smash!

Podmark

I say we go with Murs' dictatorship. It seems like an effective and fair way to run the community. To that end I'd like offer my services to Murs as his right hand man.

*secretly plots Murs death and utter destruction of FR*
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

DrMike2000

Seriously, I'd go for anarchy at this point.

It doesn't matter.
If a complete unknown came along and bundled up some existing skins and published it as their own work and called it a mod, it wouldn't matter. The only people who care or who's opinions matter are here and can be informed otherwise.
We're talking about a dying game in a debatably dying genre, and anything even half decent that keeps this community ticking is a good thing.

The fact that one of our established members has withdrawn his work from publication should be ringing alarm bells about being too precious with this kind of thing.
Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

murs47

Quote from: yell0w_lantern on January 27, 2009, 02:42:20 AM
Hello, I am new here. My name is nretnal_w0lley.
Let me show some pics of some sweet meshes made by a friend of mine.

You have my approval Mr. Wolley. Now be gone with you.

Quote from: Podmark on January 27, 2009, 04:24:46 AM
I say we go with Murs' dictatorship. It seems like an effective and fair way to run the community. To that end I'd like offer my services to Murs as his right hand man.

*secretly plots Murs death and utter destruction of FR*

Sorry Pod, but I suffer from a disease known as immortality.

*hits Podmark with banhammer*

Overthrower

First of all Murs, you're killing me, lol. Second of all, I'm disappointed with this whole thing, I would love to be able to download a package like that, there's so much content available for this game, one doesn't even know to begin searching and downloading all of it, let alone installing all of it piece by piece. I assume each char folder had a note saying who created what, so if anyone was curious to know they could easily find it, but this package was really a great service to the community, and one greatly appreciated by at least a few of us who are fans of all you, the great modders of this awesome game.

Anyways, who am I, but someone who missed an opportunity to get this mod with all its extra content before it was pulled.

OT. :huh:

tommyboy

Quote from: ips on January 27, 2009, 05:30:48 AM
dr mike,

bg cancelled his mod. and i've pulled my content from my site. so i suppose your comments could refer to either of us.

either way... that issue was over when bg cancelled his mod. in 30 days we agreed to discuss forum policy to keep everyone on the up and informed. it sounds like you've got an opinion so you should look for the thread. in the mean time let's please not discuss it further.

Please stop.
You can keep telling us it's "closed" or "that issue was over" as much as you like, IPS.
It isn't.
It really, really, isn't.
Benton's Mod WILL be discussed. Now, or in a month's time.
If you continue to post on the matter in this way, telling us again and again its "over", I will reply each and every time to inform you that it isn't. Cooling off period be damned.
Because saying it's "over" IS discussing it.
So please, either we stop posting on it, as we agreed, or we go again, starting now.
I leave the choice to you.
So what's it to be?
A month, or today.

DrMike2000

Quote from: ips on January 27, 2009, 05:30:48 AM
dr mike,

bg cancelled his mod. and i've pulled my content from my site. so i suppose your comments could refer to either of us.

either way... that issue was over when bg cancelled his mod. in 30 days we agreed to discuss forum policy to keep everyone on the up and informed. it sounds like you've got an opinion so you should look for the thread. in the mean time let's please not discuss it further.

Come on, IPS.

Four or so people have agreed in this thread to say nothing more on the subject until a month from now. That isn't really enough to deny me my first post on the matter. I'm not intending to argue this till I'm blue in the face, or endlessly repeat myself, just post my initial reaction.

You really think it will take a month for everyone to calm down and be able to discuss this reasonably?

And to clarify, I was referring to Benton withdrawing his mod.
Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

TaskMasterX

Quote from: Vertex on January 26, 2009, 08:38:25 PM
Quote from: TaskMasterX on January 26, 2009, 08:33:43 PM

NOTE: Payment will be in KFC gift certificates since the Colonel stole her recipe.

For the record people..

I HAVE THIS IN WRITING!!!

I'm gonna get fed.. prepare for a colossal flood of meshes.. I'm gonna be a big fat mesher soon.
Oh... wait... wait. I.. ummm... didn't really mean that. I was... ummm.... trying to prove I had a sense of humor. Yeah, that's it. :lol:

Back to topic. I have two mod rule suggestions:

Suggested Mod Rule #1
When a content creator states (whether in a thread, in a readme file or other such medium) that their content can be used freely as long as credit is given, then the content creator should understand, that by stating such, that new ideas may be used to release, publish or use their content in other ways that they might not foresee. And that the creator of the content can't go back and tell the mod creator that they can't use their content that way. If the content creator wants to be notified before using their content in a mod, then that should be stated in the thread, readme, or whatever. That way modders won't release any "suprises" that contain other content creators material.

Suggested Mod Rule #2
Let content creators speak for themselves and only for themselves and their creations. If a content creator's content is in a mod and they have no problems with their content being in the mod, then there's no reason for you to argue on behalf others who might have an issue. If a content creator has an issue then they should speak only for their own content and not about others who might or might not have an issue with their content being in the mod. Content creators and the modder work it out privately between themselves and only themselves.

So what say you all?
Yay or Nay?
(Yes, while you weren't looking, the Yanks have arrived, overthrew the Murs Dictatorship, and applied their Democracy)

I'd like to make another suggestion. It's not a rule suggestion, but more of a general suggestion for the rules themselves. Once TommyBoy starts a cleaner thread next month, I think it would be nice to include a link to the thread containing the content creators permissions.

Vertex

duuuuuuuuuude let it go till it's agreed to open the discussion again.  :doh:
A wise man knows, he knows nothing
I must be the wisest man on Earth,
cause I don't know squat

tommyboy

Quote from: ips on January 27, 2009, 03:31:41 PM
we agreed to discuss forum policies in 30 days. not benton's mod.

if you want to discuss bentons mod let's do it now. i personally don't want to wait 30 days for an argument if it's really just a ploy to discuss benton's mod.

And we are off, then.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quoteand the mod really probably isn't very dead then? is this also correct?

From what Benton told me the mod is pulled.  Period.  He may still tinker with it in his spare time and share it with a few friends but it is gone otherwise with no plans that I am aware of to revive it ever.  I have other comments, but I will refrain from them until later.  I still maintain that giving this some time would be a good thing, especially if we wait until the person in question actually returns, which he said would likely be in a couple of weeks.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

H0UR_MAN

Quote from: ips on January 27, 2009, 03:40:22 PM
so we don't need to discuss forum policy then in 30 days... it' all just been a ploy to discuss benton's mod? is this correct? and the mod really probably isn't very dead then? is this also correct? i'm feeling a little mislead if so.

paranoid much? this is why i dont post on a regular basis. delusional, self-righteous, "me" complexes. not every comment has been about this mod or about you. mellow out, calm down. take a breather. stop driving us new content creators away with such negativity.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on January 27, 2009, 03:46:06 PM
Quoteand the mod really probably isn't very dead then? is this also correct?

From what Benton told me the mod is pulled.  Period.  He may still tinker with it in his spare time and share it with a few friends but it is gone otherwise with no plans that I am aware of to revive it ever.  I have other comments, but I will refrain from them until later.  I still maintain that giving this some time would be a good thing, especially if we wait until the person in question actually returns, which he said would likely be in a couple of weeks.

Urgh. I still don't understand why he "canceled" the mod, especially if he is still working on it (is is really canceled than or is it like why people are over dramatic and claim they are leaving but then lurk?). Either way, I don't think he should canceled his mod. That was never my intention, I thought maybe he should hold off on some of the content he packaged until he actually used (if he ever was going too).

I just want everyone to know "...you have destroy my flower-like (skinning) life, not once but twice".

AfghanAnt

Quote from: ips on January 27, 2009, 03:55:18 PM
i've heard from several people now, that that is the case. but thanks for calling me paranoid.

I have no idea why it is ok to call you names.

H0UR_MAN

Quote from: ips on January 27, 2009, 03:55:18 PM
Quote from: H0UR_MAN on January 27, 2009, 03:50:02 PM
Quote from: ips on January 27, 2009, 03:40:22 PM
so we don't need to discuss forum policy then in 30 days... it' all just been a ploy to discuss benton's mod? is this correct? and the mod really probably isn't very dead then? is this also correct? i'm feeling a little mislead if so.

paranoid much? this is why i dont post on a regular basis. delusional, self-righteous, "me" complexes. not every comment has been about this mod or about you. mellow out, calm down. take a breather. stop driving us new content creators away with such negativity.

i've heard from several people now, that that is the case. but thanks for calling me paranoid.

nothing personal.

H0UR_MAN

nope, nothing personal. just going by what i've read in the various threads.