Uwe Boll up for special award

Started by Glitch Girl, January 21, 2009, 03:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glitch Girl

Among this year's Razzie nominations...

QuoteBoll - whose movies include such horror or action tales as "Bloodrayne," "Alone in the Dark" and "House of the Dead" - also was selected by Razzies voters to receive a special prize for worst career achievement as "Germany's answer to Ed Wood," the legendary bad filmmaker responsible for "Plan 9 From Outer Space."

Article Link

The article goes on to say that this is proably an insult to Ed Wood, because at least he (Wood) managed a kind of joyful incompetence lacking in Boll's work.

Here's the complete list if Razzie Noms, conveinetly Spoilered since it's a long list.

Spoiler

Worst Picture

Disaster Movie
and
Meet The Spartans
(Two Movies — One Berry Badly Beaten Dead Horse of a Concept!)
Lionsgate, 20th Century Fox

The Happening
20th Century-Fox

The Hottie and The Nottie
Regent Releasing/Purple Pictures

In The Name of The King: A Dungeon Siege Tale
Boll Kg/Brightlight Pictures

The Love Guru
Paramount

Worst Actor

Larry the Cable Guy
WITLESS PROTECTION

Eddie Murphy
MEET DAVE

Mike Myers
THE LOVE GURU

Al Pacino
88 MINUTES
and
RIGHTEOUS KILL

Mark Wahlberg
THE HAPPENING
and
MAX PAYNE

Worst Actress

Jessica Alba
THE EYE
and
THE LOVE GURU

The Cast of THE WOMEN
(Annette Bening, Eva Mendes, Debra Messing, Jada Pinkett-Smith and Meg Ryan)

Cameron Diaz
WHAT HAPPENS IN VEGAS

Paris Hilton
THE HOTTIE AND THE NOTTIE

Kate Hudson
FOOLS' GOLD
and
MY BEST FRIEND'S GIRL

Worst Supporting Actor

Uwe Boll (as Himself)
Uwe Boll's POSTAL

Pierce Brosnan
MAMMA MIA!

Ben Kingsley
THE LOVE GURU,
WAR, INC.
and
THE WACKNESS

Burt Reynolds
DEAL
and
IN THE NAME OF THE KING: A DUNGEON SIEGE TALE

Verne Troyer
THE LOVE GURU
and
Uwe Boll's POSTAL

Worst Supporting Actress

Carmen Electra
DISASTER MOVIE
and
MEET THE SPARTANS

Paris Hilton
REPO: THE GENETIC OPERA

Kim Kardashian
DISASTER MOVIE

Jenny McCarthy
WITLESS PROTECTION

Leelee Sobieski
88 MINUTES
and
IN THE NAME OF THE KING

Worst Director

Uwe Boll
1968: Tunnel Rats
In The Name Of The King
and
Postal
* (GG's note - while I'm not fan of Boll, I don't think Tunnel Rats should be included since it hasn't even been released yet and I'm not sure anyone's even seen the final version.  I HAVE however seen pat of Dungeon Seige which was playing on a tv at Dragoncon and yes, even after 5 minutes, it does indeed deserve to be here)

Jason Friedberg & Aaron Seltzer
DISASTER MOVIE
and
MEET THE SPARTANS

Tom Putnam
THE HOTTIE AND THE NOTTIE

Marco Schnabel
THE LOVE GURU

M. Night Shyamalan
THE HAPPENING

Worst Screen Couple

Uwe Boll & ANY Actor, Camera or Screenplay

Cameron Diaz & Ashton Kutcher
WHAT HAPPENS IN VEGAS

Paris Hilton and either Christine Lakin or Joel David Moore
HOTTIE & THE NOTTIE

Larry the Cable Guy & Jenny McCarthy
WITLESS PROTECTION

Eddie Murphy IN Eddie Murphy
MEET DAVE

Worst Screenplay

Disaster Movie and Meet The Spartans
Both Written By Jason Friedberg & Aaron Seltzer

The Happening
Written By M. Night Shyamalan

The Hottie And The Nottie
Written By Heidi Ferrer

In The Name Of The King: A Dungeon Siege Tale
Screenplay By Doug Taylor

The Love Guru
Written By Mike Myers & Graham Gordy

Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel

The Day The Earth Blowed Up Real Good

Disaster Movie
and
Meet The Spartans

Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of The Crystal Skull

Speed Racer

Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Worst Career Achievement
(Special Category!)

Uwe Boll
(Germany's Answer to Ed Wood)
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

zuludelta

Everybody on the nominations list deserves to win (or lose, depending on how one looks at it). I'd like to see Al Pacino win a Razzie for Worst Actor for his role in 88 Minutes though, if only so he can be added to the rarefied list of people who've won both Oscars and Razzies (a list that includes  Faye Dunaway, Marlon Brando, Charlton Heston, Laurence Olivier, Roberto Benigni, Halle Berry, Liza Minnelli, Nicole Kidman, Kevin Costner, Ben Affleck, Sofia Coppola & Prince)
Art is the expression of truth without violence.

BWPS

Speed Racer is one of the greatest films I've ever seen in my life. I agree with the other category nominations though.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

BentonGrey

Wow, that's a lot of concentrated terribleness.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

GhostMachine

Spoiler
Whoever nominated the Indiana Jones sequel needs to be slapped until they bleed.

Comparing Uwe Boll to Ed Wood is an insult. Wood actually thought he was making top notch films and you could tell he actually cared about what he was doing; his movies are usually so bad they're entertaining. Uwe Boll, however, is just an imcompetent film maker who has no business whatsoever making films.

If I was a producer, I'd have to have a no Uwe Boll clause in any contracts, and security guards with orders to shoot him on sight posted on the sets.

Zippo

Quote from: GhostMachine on January 22, 2009, 04:07:00 AM
Spoiler
Whoever nominated the Indiana Jones sequel needs to be slapped until they bleed.

Spoiler
He survives a nuclear test in a refrigerator. I think that warrants nomination by itself.

crimsonquill

Quote from: Zippo on January 22, 2009, 04:35:39 AM
Quote from: GhostMachine on January 22, 2009, 04:07:00 AM
Spoiler

Spoiler
He survives a nuclear test in a refrigerator. I think that warrants nomination by itself.

Spoiler
I swear we covered this in the reviews that people were giving it in the archieves... The Indiana Jones Films were designed to be made so that they had the feeling of being filmed in the time period they were set in. After all Lucas and Spielburg both concepted the series to be based off the "cliffhanger" serials of the time. Taking that into consideration.. All of the popular media and government sponsered "duck and cover" shorts of the time (hiding under a table or desk in a properly protected building would shield you and walking around in the post-fallout might just give you some mild radioactive poisoning and sunburn-like skin rash) would have done the same thing in an action/adventure movie which had the hero accidently trapped in the middle of a atomic bomb test. Most of those movies would have had the human mutate into a giant version of himself (much like the insects and animals shown in movies of that era) or die from the impact of the shockwave (which never happens to "movie serial heroes"). At most I laughed at how he survived being thrown around inside the refridgerator and emerged with some bumps and bruises but no broken bones or much less being able to stand at all.
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

detourne_me

don't forget the monkey boy sequence either... in fact i can't forget it,  it's so horribly horribly indelibly imprinted into my brain...

crimsonquill

Quote from: detourne_me on January 22, 2009, 09:38:56 AM
don't forget the monkey boy sequence either... in fact i can't forget it,  it's so horribly horribly indelibly imprinted into my brain...

Good point.. They were "trying" to emulate the Tarzan movies but the complete use of CGI and being able to outrun speeding Jeeps/ATVs on a road using swinging vines just pushed the "Oh, You have got to be $%#$ kidding me" factor over the edge...
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

lugaru

Uhm... Ed Wood has been pardoned by the pass of time but I doubt anyone who bought a ticket back then was expecting a no budget exercise in camp. In the case of Uwe there is a very small tragedy in that he can make movies quickly, on budget and with no studio imput. The problem is that the things he wants to do are so incredibly stupid they even turn off the people who buy tickets for "disaster movie" and "meet the spartans".

That said I still have not yet seen Postal which sounds absolutely demented on paper.

Glitch Girl

RE: Indy 4.

For me: the movie was fun for about the first half, then at some point early in the jungle chase, it took a major nose dive and never recovered.  The swam sequence didn't have the punch the previous ones has I think because the critters weren't actually there, as opposed to the first three movies, and that does make a difference.  Even the ending, though full of "stuff" just lay there limply for me.   

On the plus side, it's only up for one and my gut says it's not going to get it.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

BWPS

No point in nominating anything for 2009. Inkheart gets everything, handsdown. Uwe Boll presents Metal Gear Solid vs. World of Warcraft could not possibly be one billionth as bad as Inkheart. If Eragon had been a made for SciFi movie that had its budget cut halfway through it would still be better than Inkheart. The unreleased sequel, Plan 10 from Outer Space which was made after Ed Wood was stricken with Alzheimer's and in which every scene is shown at least 4 times and halfway through a completely new cast of characters enters and the rest of the film plays out like a musical of what is apparently just people eating toast for dinner would not... well actually that sounds like an awesome movie, but you get the idea. It was worse than The Mist and Date Movie put together. And I paid enough money to feed and clothe a child for a month to see it. Why didn't I go see Underworld? That would've had some people getting killed by werewolves. No more gambling on movies for me.

When you go to see movies in theaters for no reason, you can appreciate a pretty good movie like Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

thanoson

I hear this about the Mist a lot. What was so bad about the movie? I kinda enjoyed it. Except for the ending. Liked the original much better.
Long live Slaanesh, Prince of Pain!!!

UnkoMan

Just to be devil's advocate here, I'll point out that Paris Hilton's performance in Repo: The Genetic Opera is actually pretty good. In fact, I, and most everyone else I've heard mention, thought she was one of the better things about that movie. Unfortunately I find the entire movie reads like some thirteen year old goth girl's fantasy, but it had its moments.

And now I'll even say that the Mist wasn't really that bad. It could do without the CGI, which was paticularly terrible, but the basic story is one of my favourite. People in a confined space being threatened by some unknown evil turn on each other. And though I loved the story as a child, I actually liked the movie's ending better. It's the ultimate downer, almost Lovecraftian in nature. This man will most likely be turned completely insane with grief, forced to live out his days in a padded cell with only the memory of what he did and what could have been to serve him.

Oh, but I'm getting off on a rant here. I can't wait to see the winners. I actually hold the Razzies in much higher esteem than the Oscars.