What big feats of strength has Spidey done in the comics?

Started by captmorgan72, January 18, 2009, 07:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captmorgan72

Has he ever lifted/thrown things like cars, trucks etc?

zuludelta

I vaguely remember him lifting a tank in an issue of Spectacular Spider-Man around 1989 or so. IIRC, it was a story written by David Michelinie and drawn by Erik Larsen. The issue stood out to me because it caused something of a reaction on the letters pages a couple of months later, with people writing in (this was before e-mail!) that Spidey shouldn't have been able to lift it (a modern tank would weigh anywhere between 40 to 70 tons). I think the editors sort of explained it away by saying that it was an ultra-lightweight tank made of "space age materials" that was well within Spidey's 10 ton lifting capacity (the funny thing was, people still complained... evidently, they can swallow the idea that a man bitten by a radioactive spider can gain superpowers, but the idea that a tank can weigh less than 10 tons is beyond their suspension of disbelief  :lol:)
Art is the expression of truth without violence.

chuckles

Let's see, way back in Amazing Spider-Man King Size Annual #13 page 7 panel 2 he picks up a forklift.
While fighting Doc Ock later that same comic, page 25 panel 5 he unbends a large iron girder (not too super, but not bad).

Of course in his newspaper strip he was shown lifting a city bus.

That's all I have at the moment.

YoungHeros

I don't remember too much about it, but I think he had lifted the Daily Bugle once( :blink:!)

Zippo

In a recent What If? Spidey was fighting Iron Man. Parker ended up tearing his armor apart, and when Stark asked "Just how strong are you?", he replied something like "Strong. Maybe stronger than you; I haven't really cut loose in a long time."

It is a What If? so it's not entirely canon though.

thanoson

Hell, before OMD, when Aunt MAy got shot, he threw a car at the sniper.
Long live Slaanesh, Prince of Pain!!!

bearded

Quote from: Zippo on January 18, 2009, 09:52:19 AM
In a recent What If? Spidey was fighting Iron Man. Parker ended up tearing his armor apart, and when Stark asked "Just how strong are you?", he replied something like "Strong. Maybe stronger than you; I haven't really cut loose in a long time."

It is a What If? so it's not entirely canon though.

was that the iron man of 2020?  i thought he broke the armor of 2020 in continuity.  (whatever continuity means these days...)
Spoiler

herodad1

in amazing spiderman #32-33 he was pinned under tons of steel.(i'd say well over 10 tons) and finally lifted it off himself.i think he had an adrenaline surge on that one.he also with repeated blows knocked out firelord.

daglob

Issue 32-33 is a classic. It probalby was over his limit (which I think was less than 10 tons at the time), and he lifted it through sheer power of will, determinatino, and good art and good writing. He then limped away barely concious. It may have been the best thing that Stan and Steve ever did.

Zippo

Quote from: bearded on January 18, 2009, 01:32:55 PM
was that the iron man of 2020?  i thought he broke the armor of 2020 in continuity.  (whatever continuity means these days...)

This was in a What If? Spiderman: Back in Black that came out in December, so it was actually extremis Iron Man, which makes Spidey's strength a little ridiculous in the issue. 

thalaw2

When Spidey had the cosmic powers way back during "Acts of Vengeance" he was able to do all kinds of feats of strength...including throwing the Hulk into orbit.
革命不会被电视转播

steamteck

I feel so old. The Spidey I remember best had trouble with Man Mountain Marko and the Kingpin and could barely lift a car. I just can't  get into this 10 ton thing.  I guess it would be two much to ask for him to have the proportionate strength of a spider rather than a rhinoceros beetle.

steamteck

Quote from: daglob on January 18, 2009, 06:44:36 PM
Issue 32-33 is a classic. It probalby was over his limit (which I think was less than 10 tons at the time), and he lifted it through sheer power of will, determinatino, and good art and good writing. He then limped away barely concious. It may have been the best thing that Stan and Steve ever did.

Yeah, Way less. I really thought that was a great moment too.

Jakew

QuoteI feel so old. The Spidey I remember best had trouble with Man Mountain Marko and the Kingpin and could barely lift a car.

Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 1) #270: Spiderman beats the crap out of Herald of Galactus, Firelord ... who had the Power Cosmic and was on par with Silver Surfer at the time. Firelord has gone one-on-one with Thor before, so this fight was kind of a jip, and easily Spiderman's most unlikely victory.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/Pariah122/FL1.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/Pariah122/FL2.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/Pariah122/FL3.jpg