AfghanAnt Artistic Advances 7/8/16 - Marvel Adventures Exclusives

Started by AfghanAnt, January 11, 2009, 02:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AfghanAnt

I'm trying to get back into skinning but it's been really rough. I was reading AOA comics today and realized I wasn't very happy with Blink anymore (and that I'd like to do Sabertooth & Wildchild and even Holocaust if someone does a skope/mesh of him).
Spoiler
So right now of things on my brain to skin are:
Blink
Sabertooth & Wildchild
Weird World Originals
Marvel Boy
Miracle Family

herodad1

Blkcasanova247

I can't help it that I look so good baby! I'm just a love machine!

AfghanAnt

Quote from: ips on January 11, 2009, 02:20:09 AM
i would only say to be careful of doing solid shadows like how you have in the right picture... unless she's under a hard light source you won't get something that opaque right? so make sure to have some soft edges on the shadow and some level of transparency. i wouldn't go higher than 80% - that will cast you a nice deep shadow

I see what you are saying.

Quote from: herodad1 on January 11, 2009, 02:45:44 AM
hey AA, check out this Holocaust.   http://megansunfire.webs.com/marvel.htm will he do?

It's not really correct character design wise and I'm sure someone could skope together one that is better (no offense to Megasunfire, it looks like a hexed not a skoped mesh).

I've got some really cool ideas about create an authentic see-thru crystallize armor look if any skopers want to hear them (I get easily burnt out skoping and skinning something nowadays).

Quote from: Blkcasanova247 on January 11, 2009, 03:05:04 AM
Bro...that is a "marked" improvement. Wow! :thumbup:

Thanks. I decided to push myself out of my skinning comfort zone.

Previsionary

Your start on Blink is looking good, AA. I will be judging this uber harshly because Blink is one of my favorite Exiles. ^_^. Can't wait to see the finished version.
Disappear when you least expe--

Figure Fan

laughing paradox

That is pretty impressive! Great job on it.

I wish your inspiration for Blink was more from the Exiles instead of AOA. I love me some original Exiles! :)

Megatallica

Excellent NEW SABRETOOTH hurray!!!
oh and check thismesh froom johnny patches http://freedomreborn.net/forums/index.php?topic=48976.0 for holocaust

Dr.Volt

It appears that the image of Blink went away in the archiving process. Does anyone have a link to the pic?  I want to check it out too!  Blink is awesome!

Previsionary

Dr.Volt

Quote from: Previsionary on January 12, 2009, 02:03:29 AM
what, volt? It's right there...behind the spoiler tag.

D'oh!  There it is!  Thanks!  Hey, she looks great so far doesn't she?

AfghanAnt

Previsionary

Nice! Why couldn't you skin them (Sabes/Blink) when I was doing the Exiles mod? :(

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Previsionary on January 13, 2009, 02:01:31 AM
Nice! Why couldn't you skin them (Sabes/Blink) when I was doing the Exiles mod? :(

I'm sorry! All it took was old AOA issues to inspire me.

Jakew

Previsionary

Quote from: ips on January 13, 2009, 05:33:17 AM
Quote from: Previsionary on January 13, 2009, 02:01:31 AM

ahem. you used his blink remember?

Yes, but was it a new updated version like the one he's showing off? I don't think it was regardless of my magical powers to grab things from time. ^_^

*kabooms out of the thread*

Podmark

Those are looking great AA. Really looking forward to them, especially Creed.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

darkknight92

Truly excellent!  Are you willing to take on a most humble student? (bows head)

murs47

Oh yeah, these are looking great so far. Two of my personal favorites from the AoA event.

AfghanAnt

Jakew

That looks slick. I like the pointy ears poking through Wildchild's hair ... cool little touch.

billdamn22

Aww man... Where did you get a copy of my to do list?
Freakin incredible! I am more than happy to not have to skin these 2 now.

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

AfghanAnt

So as you can probably tell I've decided to do the other three Astonishing X-Men. I thought it would be fun and they were my favorite of the AOA teams (I wish Banshee was on their team his AOA costume was amazing).

Anyway, thanks for all the comments and look for the pack to be released this weekend and previews of Rogue, Morph, and Sunfire to soon follow.

Spoiler
Blink from 2009 & 2005

miguelyanke

aa, why did'nt you add claws to wildchild hands & feet?

Wonderful work AA as ever! this hair looks incredible

AfghanAnt

Quote from: miguelyanke on January 15, 2009, 12:55:15 PM
aa, why did'nt you add claws to wildchild hands & feet?

The keyframes I'm using made that difficult.

UnkoMan

I like your playing with shadows here. It really adds to these skins. Plus, you aren't afraid to use huge patches of solid colour. Done wrong, it looks like you're just figuring out your paint program, but done right and it really neat exploration.

I'm not 100% on using the whiter highlights for orange, but it works okay on the pinky red. Sabertooth's bootcuffs look great.

Also I have to ask... did you use a skrull head for Wild Child?

AfghanAnt

Quote from: UnkoMan on January 15, 2009, 09:53:59 PM
I like your playing with shadows here. It really adds to these skins. Plus, you aren't afraid to use huge patches of solid colour. Done wrong, it looks like you're just figuring out your paint program, but done right and it really neat exploration.

I'm not 100% on using the whiter highlights for orange, but it works okay on the pinky red. Sabertooth's bootcuffs look great.

Also I have to ask... did you use a skrull head for Wild Child?

I completely agree and basically I was tired of symmetrical face skinning. It is so dull and there is nothing wrong with adding a bit of whimsy and suspension of light and shadow. I thought about doing it completely with a costume but since most of my time is spent on the face I figured make that the focus. Besides no one see those tiny details in-game and if you do, well you aren't enjoying the game.

Yeah, it is something I'm just playing with. I liked how it came out with Miracleman so I'm keen on it for the moment.

Not a skrull but is it a Parasite. It's the same head Johnny skoped on Ancient Astronaut.

Dude! Which one is it?

Quote from: ips on January 14, 2009, 07:25:47 PM
1st!

ha! dood. you're gonna make me play marvel characters again i know it... ;0 thankyou for these. can't wait to get them on your next update. love em. perfect.

Or
Quote from: ips on January 15, 2009, 11:56:45 PM
ok these are awesome.

but

1) 'm not liking the clothing wrinkles for sabretooths pants at all. it's just not how those cargoy pants would flow and the wrinkles should follow the influence of the body and not just excessively spread across horrizontally the legs. i would redo these completely.

2) not liking how solid the face shadows are. softer edges and more translucency. i know you want stylized dramatic lighting on them but they will look out of place in game under different lighting situations and it will be disjarring. you need to find a balance between what could be plausible as neutral lighting and still give the effect you are going for.

The only difference in the pic behind the spoiler and this one includes Blink and a few edits to Wildchild.

1) To address you critique. I actually like the way the pants look in game and since I did them I'm leaving it.

2) I've played with them in-game and nothing was a jar.

As always I respect your and other's opinions, but I rather like them so they are staying.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: ips on January 16, 2009, 01:04:51 AM
i'm sorry for being unclear, with the wireframes still showing i assumed they were WIPS and commented in that context (and i couldn't see them str8 on either).

seeing them "final" - they could use the touchups i mentioned.

The comment I grab was in response to
Quote from: AfghanAnt on January 14, 2009, 07:19:59 PM
Spoiler
but ok.

Anyway, I was having some fun with character tool and PS...

Courtnall6

Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.