Freedom Force Wiki - New Name, New Site, Same Ol' FF

Started by The Hitman, January 02, 2009, 09:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hitman

Just dropping a friendly "What's up" to all members, both new and old, that the FRWorld Wiki is still alive and kicking. For those of you that want it, ithe site is:

http://frworld.wikispaces.com/

Whoo!

Dr.Volt

Gremlin

The Hitman

Hello, one and all!

I have a topic that I need some feedback on.

The people who host our wiki site, "Wikispaces," is, in short, a pain to deal with. And, frankly, the page layout options, ease of adding pages, and overall look of the site is not worth the trouble it's been. So... I've been looking around at other "wiki" sites. And I think I've found a superior solution:

http://www.wikia.com/wiki/Wikia

It would be a little bit of work moving the pages from the old site to the new one, so I'll leave this up to you. If you all think that the old site is fine the way it is, we'll leave it alone. If you all would like to try the new site, we'll go with that.

Thanks for your time,

- The Hitman

Figure Fan

My bio isn't bad, actually. I wrote it over a year ago, too..

Epimethee

Hmm, might be a good idea.

Con:
- Wikia shows animated Flash ads, vs. text-ads for Wikispaces.
- The wiki is already almost unused as it is.

Pro:
- The layout tools seems indeed much better.
- Since it's more known, and more game-centric, it might make a better point of entry for FF players
- Maybe, just maybe it would help the wiki get some use.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

GogglesPizanno

Have we ever thought of (Part of me shudders at the thought) of just hosting our own sort of Freedom Force Information site? All (well most) of these wiki sites are powered by open source stuff that is fairly easy to set up.

You could almost just integrate it into a CMS of some sort and try to unify all the info we have out there into a cohesive catch all site that we (the community) have a bit tighter control over. Its not like the bandwidth demands are going to be that heavy given the size of our numbers.

It would mean that Tutie could have a nice single URL to point to whenever he felt the need....

The Hitman

Something's on the horizon for the FRWiki Project. More news later. Just wanted to bump this back up.

daglob

Quote from: The Hitman on March 20, 2009, 04:26:58 PM
Something's on the horizon for the FRWiki Project. More news later. Just wanted to bump this back up.

Cue the Dragnet theme...

The Hitman

Drum roll please...

*Dadadadadadadadadada*

Slightly 3 months after it was mentioned...

I finally fought off my inherant procrastination...

And finally uploaded the software...

FOR OUR NEW WIKI!!

http://www.ffcenter.net/wiki/doku.php

So it's really bare boines right now, I'm working on a standard template, but HEY! it's up there now. Editing requiers a Username, I did this to cut down on spam and stuff. Keep checking for new stuff!

Epimethee

Good ? I hope the new site will help the wiki become more popular.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

Reepicheep

Just so the world knows, I updated my character's bio.

I'd love to see some more names go up.

Outcast

Quote from: Reepicheep on October 06, 2010, 08:17:34 PM
Just so the world knows, I updated my character's bio.

Is it the one for Emperor Reep I (457-526 AD)? Or Reep the Barbarian? The ones located at fr world wiki spaces? Didn't find any on the newer link Hitman posted.

Reepicheep

Older one. The new site never seemed to take off too much.

That, and I didn't even notice the link was there.

Outcast

I see. Older one it is. Thanks for the clarification Reep. Nice bio. I like the powers you've given him. The Hellionic senses, the cursed claw hand, the netherworld darkforce...:)