News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DCUG - Canceled

Started by BentonGrey, December 31, 2008, 01:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Previsionary

Quote from: BentonGrey on January 14, 2009, 10:49:46 PM
*Knocks on wood very cautiously*  It's done!  I'm going to give it a few hours to see if anything that I forgot to do pops into my head, but as near as I can tell, the DCUG is well and truly done!  I will start it uploading soon, and I will post again when it is ready for download.  Thank you all for you interest!

COngrats, BG. Now, let's talk about my payment...:P
Disappear when you least expe--

steamteck

GogglesPizanno

Super Congrats... its been a long time coming.

But now I wonder what will M25 do without his daily "Whats wrong with my cutscene" inquiry?  :)

BentonGrey

LOL, yeah Goggles, I always feel SOOO bad when I post one of those and M25 takes the time to look at everything, only to say "you forgot a comma."  Ha, he has been an incredibly good sport while I've bumbled about with the unbelievably awesome tool he's given us.

Thanks guys, I'm packing it up now!

:EDIT: We are uploading as I type.  I'm...let's see, five days past my promised release date, but considering the number of bugs I've had, and the rather vicious computer virus I had to deal with, I'm pretty happy with my progress.  When I wake up in the morning I'll post a link, and you'll be able to download my little project.  For the zillions who had problems with the FX pack in the Beta version, you'll be happy to know that everything is 100% integrated.  Well, here's hoping everything goes smoothly while I sleep. (12%)
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Cyber Burn

This is awesome, I can't wait to get my hands on this. (I will admit though, that I am afraid of the file size, dial-up sucks.)  :banghead:

BentonGrey

Okay my friends, we are completely uploaded.  Now...I've completely forgotten how I was able to figure out the link for the beta, so here's what I have.  I hope it works.  If not, Cat will have to tell me how to find the webpath. 

http://freedomforceforever.com/dcug/DCUG.zip (Okay, that doesn't work.  Cat...I need your help!)

I do have to say, this things is BIG, and for that I apologize.  I hope that some of you will find it worth the download. :D
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Previsionary

*sigh* You didn't even bother looking at your old posts...the one in the comprehensive list...that I posted...Benton...get out. :P

dcug.freedomforceforever.com/DCUG.zip

That should work. ^_^

BentonGrey

Right you are Prev.!  Ha, sorry, I didn't think that it would help me to look back at that thing.  Well, all is well.  Enjoy the DCUG!  Please post any questions or comments you have here.  I would love to hear your thoughts about my little project. 

dcug.freedomforceforever.com/DCUG.zip
God Bless

docdelorean88

Whenever i open it i get some error message from WinRar. It says unexpected end of zip.Any Ideas?
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

jtharris86

Quote from: docdelorean88 on January 15, 2009, 05:18:51 PM
Whenever i open it i get some error message from WinRar. It says unexpected end of zip.Any Ideas?

Yeah I get the same message

BentonGrey

Hmm, it seems to be working fine for me.  Try downloading it again, you may have gotten bad downloads.  Has anyone managed to download it successfully?  If not, maybe I'll have to upload it again. :(
God Bless

Previsionary

Quote from: BentonGrey on January 15, 2009, 05:37:53 PM
Hmm, it seems to be working fine for me.  Try downloading it again, you may have gotten bad downloads.  Has anyone managed to download it successfully?  If not, maybe I'll have to upload it again. :(

The mod is 800 MB in zipped form. Quite easy to think it's breaking somewhere along the line either in uploading or downloading. TOmmy had this problem as well and his solution was to split his mod up into pieces...might be the way for you to go too.

BentonGrey

Hmm, very possible.  Well, I'll start trying to figure out how to break it up using the installer creator.
God Bless

catwhowalksbyhimself

The bigger the file, the larger the chance the upload will get corrupted along the way.  This is likely what has happened.  In addition, the server I use does not appear to like maintaining a connection for extended periods of times, causing uploads to terminate before completion if they are too large.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

BentonGrey

Okey doke, I've started trying to split this thing up.  Can anyone offer me a ballpark size (prezip) that would likely be safe?  I have to decide how many pieces I'm going to use.
God Bless

BentonGrey

If I break off the custom characters and library folders, pack them up separately, that is 2.6 gigs and 2.2 gigs respectively.  Would that be small enough?  (I'm including Map Pack files for current and future use)
God Bless

docdelorean88

I'm not sure :huh:. I guess theres only one way to find out :)
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

GogglesPizanno

Well if it zipped up at like 800MB, what if you split it into 100MB pieces? I think that's the size they used for the big avengers download.

I know if you use winrar, when you archive it, you can specify how many pieces you want it to be or a size of the pieces and it will automatically break it up.

BentonGrey

Well, I was trying to use the ClickTeam Intaller.  I don't believe that can be done with it, hmm?  Okay, I'm experimenting with splitting the installer program, and I've figured out how to split it, but getting it to combine back together is eluding me.  I'm still working on it.

:EDIT: 7-Zip apparently doesn't support splitting files (despite the fact that there is an option for it in the interface), so I am downloading winrar.

:EDIT2: Okay, I'm baffled, Winrar doesn't seem to have an option for splitting files, and 7-Zip won't let me.  Suggestions?

:EDIT3: Alright, apparently only .rar archives can be split, so I'm converting the DCUG to .rar.  I've got to run errands, but we'll see what happens when I get back.
God Bless

GogglesPizanno

If you have winrar installed:

1. right click on the DCUG folder
2. In the context menu, select "Add to Archive"
3. In the winrar dialogue that comes up, name the archive file whatever you want.
4. Under Archive format choose RAR
5. Below that is a drop down for compression method. Choose "Best" - its slower, but packs it smaller
6. Below that is a drop down for "Split to Volumes, bytes" Choose "98,078k"
7. Click OK

This will then create a series of rar files called <filename>.part1.rar etc... Each one will be 100MB

IF you dont see the conrtext menu above when you right click on your folder, then its not configured to show them, you can do it manually by opening winrar navigating to the DCUG folder, selecting it and then clicking the "Add" button at the top... the same dialogue and instruction from above apply.

Blitzgott

I can't download it from http://dcug.freedomforceforever.com/DCUG.zip. I get an error page.

Edit: Nevermind. I just saw the thread in the Releases board.

GogglesPizanno

From what I understand it contains like hundreds of meshes, maps, and what not....

Blitzgott

Quote from: ips on January 15, 2009, 08:48:24 PM
i'm sorry, i'm just gonna ask - why is it so large? this would seem unnecessarily excessive.

That's because it is more of a compilation of DC-based content for :ffvstr: than a mod, although it does have its fair share of original missions.

Vertex

Don't ask me why it has to be so large...

Back when I was stuck on dial up I never downloaded but one mod.. took me days and days... all because people insisted a mod had to have exclusive meshes and fx and blah blah blah. I always thought it would have been a lot better if when releasing a mod they had just made a list of what was needed and where to get it.. then released.. like. the mod itself... what a thought.
A wise man knows, he knows nothing
I must be the wisest man on Earth,
cause I don't know squat

GogglesPizanno

While I get the idea that Vertex is saying, would you really want to download his mod and then go through and download 500 meshes from various yahoo groups just to play it? Or download all the new maps seperately and have to go through installing and merging them?

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but it seems like some of these comments come across as kind of negative towards the Mod itself. Benton has always said this was going to be a big mod that was full of DC content. That was one of the primary things about it. While it may be too big for some to download, or you may have no interest in downloading, Benton has worked on this for a long time, and it just seems like some of these negative comments about it while hes still in the process of getting it uploaded for people just distract from all the work he (all all the people who helped supply custom content for it) did.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox, now.

bearded

rumble was released without meshes.  bad form.  it's not only hard or nigh impossible to find all the skins and meshes, you don't always find the ones the author of the mod intended.  so the artistic intent is not as pure.
i got a download corrupted also.  looking forward to the pieces.

Vertex

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on January 15, 2009, 10:31:37 PM
While I get the idea that Vertex is saying, would you really want to download his mod and then go through and download 500 meshes from various yahoo groups just to play it? Or download all the new maps seperately and have to go through installing and merging them?

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but it seems like some of these comments come across as kind of negative towards the Mod itself. Benton has always said this was going to be a big mod that was full of DC content. That was one of the primary things about it. While it may be too big for some to download, or you may have no interest in downloading, Benton has worked on this for a long time, and it just seems like some of these negative comments about it while hes still in the process of getting it uploaded for people just distract from all the work he (all all the people who helped supply custom content for it) did.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox, now.

goggles... I merely expressed that having the meshes and such in seperate downloads might make things easier for some peeps... however if you wanna accuse me of saying his work is somehow not worthy or that I'm trying to disparage what he's done... well then you REALLY need to learn to read before you type.
A wise man knows, he knows nothing
I must be the wisest man on Earth,
cause I don't know squat

USAgent

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on January 15, 2009, 10:31:37 PM
would you really want to download his mod and then go through and download 500 meshes from various yahoo groups just to play it? Or download all the new maps seperately and have to go through installing and merging them?

That would surely stink. No way would I want to have to go through all the various sites (which hopefully still existed) and download each mesh and skin, then probably go to another site to get the keyframes, then download the maps/fx then install everything, then hope everything works.......  That would be a big turn off.  I do appreciate the fact that Benton did extensive testing to make sure that we get everything in working order in one download...as big as it is.  I am so looking forward to this (even though I will probably have to remove some stuff from my dinky hard drive first)

WyldFyre

Benton,

I was able to download the full file when it was released, and it installed fine. It took about 2 hours to dload on my wireless connection. I did have to re-start the dload because the 1st time stopped at 128 mb.  But after I redid it everything worked a-ok.

Hope you can solve the problems everyone else is having.

Thanks for all your hard work. I look forward to playing with this for several days.

Wyldfyre
For Freedom!

bearded

it's not a collection of meshes and skins.  there are also maps, hero and villian stats.  all this combines to make an excellent mod.  even if there were no missions at all.  consider it a supersize danger room mod.  the missions are an added bonus.