News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DCUG - Canceled

Started by BentonGrey, December 31, 2008, 01:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

I'm very glad to hear that Xenolith.  I hope you enjoy it!  Kk, ha, that sounds like a fun time!  Yeah, Lex is pretty awesome against Superman, because he poisons the big guy.  That makes it a bit of an uneven fight, since Supes can't get close.  As far as the Melee Vs. Flight thing goes...well, I definitely want to address that eventually.  HOPEFULLY with my first expansion I'll include a whole new set of AI files that will tell any tank to duke it out rather than flit around.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

kkhohoho

Found a bug. I discovered it in Issue 1 of JLA. Martain Manhunter's original from cannot change mass. However, he is able to do all of his other stuff that is provided by FFX.

EDIT: In JLA #1, the Martian's in front of cage 1 do nothing when you attack them, and when you free the helpless captive, you can't talk to him.

EDIT: Just realized that the JLA #1 errors are happening because I loaded the save file. (That's a whole 'nother thing together.)

EDIT: Forgot to say that the astronauts are pink.

EDIT: In your JLA campaign, Batman is pink. :mellow:

EDIT: In mission 2 of JLA, there is nothing but complete and utter darkness, rendering the mission playable. I'll have to use 'mission_win.'

EDIT: In mission 3, Superman is pink. I've come to the conclusion that your JLA mod is full of errors, and unfortunately, I think I'll wait till it gets fixed before I play the campaign again, no offense.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

BentonGrey

Kk, make sure to download the update which fixes both the second and third JLA missions.  You can find the link further up this page, and on the first page of this thread. 

The pink skins are a video card issue.  I'd advise either A) restarting your computer, or B) converting the skins in question to .DDS.  That is something that I've got no control over, unfortunately.

:EDIT: Make sure to check the first post in this thread for updates from time to time.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Epimethee

Congrats on the release, Benton!

BTW, concerning the download issues, I know the Bittorrent protocol is mostly known for piracy (though it's quite useful for downloading the fatter Linux distros), but it would be quite appropriate for this kind of project, if only because of the error correction built in to avoid corrupt downloads. Mind you, the way splitting the archive into multiple parts is perfectly fine by me too. (And I can't fathom why the otherwise nice 7-Zip format still can't split an archive ? shouldn't that be trivial to implement?)
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

steamteck

OK, I really like it so far but I've got a weird one. Normally i run with the FXXmappack now after downloding and running DCUG, All hurled objects just vanish when they hit no fragments. this for all FFVTTR mods original game everything!

BentonGrey

Whoa!  So, let me get this straight, everything was hunkydory, and then you downloaded and installed the DCUG, and now thrown objects in any build of the game disappear after being thrown?  That is majorly bizarre.  The DCUG doesn't modify any system files.  It installs in its own folder.  I can't understand how that happened.  It may be a good idea to post in the FFX thread.

Thanks for the clarification IPS.  That's about the size of it.  Converting character skins to .DDS will probably help keep the resource use down a bit.
God Bless

steamteck

Yeah majorly weird I'll try over there.

kkhohoho

Quote from: BentonGrey on January 17, 2009, 04:40:43 AM
Whoa!  So, let me get this straight, everything was hunkydory, and then you downloaded and installed the DCUG, and now thrown objects in any build of the game disappear after being thrown?  That is majorly bizarre.  The DCUG doesn't modify any system files.  It installs in its own folder.  I can't understand how that happened.  It may be a good idea to post in the FFX thread.

Thanks for the clarification IPS.  That's about the size of it.  Converting character skins to .DDS will probably help keep the resource use down a bit.

Is it possible to do mass conversion?

BentonGrey

Ohh......I need to look into that.  That would definitely save space.  And it helps save resources too?  It will take some work to figure out which meshes use the same KFs, but it would be doable.
God Bless

steamteck

OK, it was happening even out of FFx so i reinstalled FFVTTR and it works. Tomorrow reinstalling DCUG unless you think I should wait for some  refinements.

Cyber Burn

Congrats on the release Benton. I have been seriously looking forward to this for some time now. Hopefully within the next week or so I can find someone with a high-speed connection who will let me use their pc to download this. And I agree with IPS in regards to the keyframe sharing technique as well as the dds conversion. It will save some major space on everyone's hard drives.

One last question, since I have the beta installed, when I do install the final release, do overwrite the beta with the final, or uninstall the beta completely before installing the final? Thanks.

catwhowalksbyhimself

It would take all of about 30 seconds to put a simple text link page up.

I can do it for you if you'd like.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Blitzgott

First of all, congratulations on the release, Benton. I did not had much time to play the mod (only enough to have my backside handed over to me by those White Martians), but I can tell you've put a lot of effort in making it, and it paid off.

Anyway, I've got a little problem. Like kkhohoho mentioned above, Martian Manhunter's Mass Control is not working. I get this on my script.log:

Spoiler
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "D:\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\.\DCUG\missions\scripts\ffx.py", line 7983, in OnMassDown
    Object_PlayEffect(char,'effect_ffx_density','',FX_TRACK_OBJECT_POS)
RuntimeError: Object_PlayEffect(): Effect NIF not found - effect_ffx_density
AI: _skthe_joker01:'the_joker' hunting 'hero_0'
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "D:\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\.\DCUG\missions\scripts\ffx.py", line 7961, in OnMassUp
    Object_PlayEffect(char,'effect_ffx_density','',FX_TRACK_OBJECT_POS)
RuntimeError: Object_PlayEffect(): Effect NIF not found - effect_ffx_density

I'll let you know if I find any other problems.

BentonGrey

Okay, I'll start working on the keyframes thing.  I don't really know that I should do the .DDS conversions, since that will be altering skins that I didn't create.  What is the decorum in regards to that?  Whatever happens, I'll see if I can't finish all of that stuff up by the end of next week, and probably put up a new version of the mod.  You won't need to redownload, but if you are having slowdown or pink mesh issues, it will probably help you. 

Steamteck, I can't imagine what would be causing that, so I don't know how to fix it, if it is DCUG related.  It is entirely possible that if you wait until the next update, and the problem is rooted with the mod, it will still exist, unless someone can figure it out.

Thanks CB!  DEFINITELY delete the Beta, I've changed so much, I have no idea if an overwrite would make everything work right. 

Cat, if you're willing, I would be happy to have something that was a bit prettier than an error page.  I simply don't know how to do it.

Thanks Blitzgott!  The Mass Control thing is something that I don't understand...I'm tempted to just leave it be, since you only use that version of the Manhunter in that level.

Thanks IPS, I appreciate that!

God Bless

GogglesPizanno

Quote from: ips on January 18, 2009, 04:57:45 AM
hey can you post a list of the missions and their order and maybe a brief description. i only played JLA missions. so i think i've missed a big chunk since other people are playing against the joker and stuff.

I'm not Tutie, but I play him on TV.

From the Read Me:
QuoteCampaigns: There are three campaigns included with this mod, but how do you play them?  Well, it is very simple.  The mod comes with JLA set as the default, but Batman and Mystery in Space are also in the DCUG folder.  Just open it up, and look for the file campdef.  Rename it JLAcampdef, and then look for whichever of the others you want to play.  They are named Batmancampdef and MiScampdef respectively.  Simply rename them to just campdef, and you're all set.

BentonGrey

Ha, here's hoping the others work better!  Thanks for the input IPS.  Is there a discussion anywhere in the archived stuff about good compressions, etc.  I'm afraid that this is a bit out of my area of expertise.

Would anyone be interested in a soundtrack for the missions (at least JLA)?

Batman is 7 missions
JLA 9 (I think? Ha, I've added more than I intended, not entirely sure)
MiS is 8 missions.  Has anyone tried that one yet?  A real labor of love, that one, and I'm not sure anyone will even care to play it, but the characters involved are some of my favorites. ^_^

God Bless

kkhohoho

Quote from: BentonGrey on January 18, 2009, 05:29:18 AM
MiS is 8 missions.  Has anyone tried that one yet?  A real labor of love, that one, and I'm not sure anyone will even care to play it, but the characters involved are some of my favorites. ^_^

Oh, I tried it. Soon as the Hawks show up, I get an error box, and I have to close the game. (I am aware of the 'bugs' thread.)

steamteck

Quote from: ips on January 18, 2009, 04:57:45 AM

btw i doubt steamteck's problem is related to your mod. it's self contained as long as it's in the DCUG folder. there are no files outside of the mod folder for it to affect other mods. it's impossible unless he installed the mod's files to the main folder instead of the DCUG folder. ...so, the problem existed before the mod and he didn't notice or he did something else to the main game files that is affecting all mods.

That's the conclusion I came to also. It definitely happened the same time but was probably just coincidental timing. I didn't do anything I know of but FFX control center seemed to start acting really weird after I installed DCUG so maybe something hiccuped there with thr control center..

BentonGrey

Okay, another bugfix and update is uploaded, this will make MiS playable, as well as addressing all non-portrait and ghosting issues brought up so far.

http://dcug.freedomforceforever.com/DCUG.UPDATE2.rar
God Bless

Blitzgott

Benton, in the Update.txt, you said there is a mission.txt file, but none came with the .rar.

BentonGrey

Yeah, I'm just a super genius!  Sorry man, now the file is correct.  Please download it again.  I've got the right object.dat and a new mission.txt in it.

Also, can anyone tell me how to do the keyframe.txt thing, where you point it to a different file?

Another also, I can't find the thread in the archive forums that talks about the right settings for converting TGA to DDS in Photoshop, can anyone point me in the right direction?  Specifically, I need to know the best ways to save space and resources.  Like, what settings should unimportant files like .refl , etc., be given.
God Bless

BentonGrey

So, has anyone played any of the campaigns?  How are you liking things?  How does one stack up against another?  If anyone has feedback to offer, I'd love to hear it.
God Bless

GogglesPizanno

Ive only got partially through the first few levels of the JLA one due to time... but I just learned that I am soon to be on more economic induced "vacation" time... so I will have some more free time here in a little while.

bearded

Quote from: ips on January 21, 2009, 07:39:19 AM
i've played the Justice League and started Batman...

actually i meant to ask... what campaigns is there? where do we get to use all of these other characters?
as I understand it, the other characters are set up for future campaigns, so the future mission updates won't be as large.  and also set up for other ppl, you and I, to make missions, which I intend to do.  I will make levels and submit them to BentonGrey for approval.

BentonGrey

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on January 21, 2009, 07:36:42 AM
Ive only got partially through the first few levels of the JLA one due to time... but I just learned that I am soon to be on more economic induced "vacation" time... so I will have some more free time here in a little while.

I'm sorry to hear that Goggles, I hope things pick up for you soon!  I'm trying to find a job in this economy, as I'm finishing my Master's...lots of fun.

Quote from: ips on January 21, 2009, 07:39:19 AM
i've played the Justice League and started Batman...

actually i meant to ask... what campaigns is there? where do we get to use all of these other characters?

Like Bearded pointed out, there are other campaigns forthcoming, but there is also one more called "Mystery in Space" (MiScampdef), which I had sorta' been trying to make a surprise.  I suppose the cat is out of the bag by now, though.  It stars Hawkman and Hawkgirl/The Atom, you play two missions of one, then two missions of the other, and so on.  Next up on my list is another JLA storyarc, in which you might just see the JSA, and the beginnings of an epic Aquaman campaign.

And, of course, I am hoping that enterprising people like Bearded will tell stories of their own!
God Bless

Vertex

Okay I'm not trying to nitpick here but which side are you arguing for/against kkhohoho? If you're arguing against IP's point... you REALLY shouldn't prove it for him.  :mellow:
A wise man knows, he knows nothing
I must be the wisest man on Earth,
cause I don't know squat

bearded

hey.  bentongrey?
would you mind if I packed up a jla minimod using just the meshes and skins needed for that?  as an optional download for ppl.
(see?  i made a positive point without resorting to what amounts to a discouraging negative attack.  if someone doesn't want the entire download on their hard drive...don't download it!)

Previsionary

Quote from: kkhohoho on January 22, 2009, 03:12:28 AM
Quote from: ips on January 22, 2009, 03:03:46 AM
i made that point on the last line of the 2nd paragraph.

Ah. That's another point. It takes a lot of time and effort and to make all of those characters. Benton allows the player have access to all of those characters right off the bat. Another use for having all the characters already in is for letting other people make mods for DCUG. I read what you said about including all of that content essentially killing creativy, but some of us, like myself, need a crutch to lean on when it comes to that sort of a thing. I am set on making an EZscript campaign, but without Benton's DCUG, I don't think I would have even bothered with it in the first place, and I'm sure there others that at least feel that DCUG makes EZScript campaigning much easier. However, I don't think it entirely kills creativity. When it comes to Marvel, other companies, or original ideas, they'll have to be made by whoever wants to make that non-DC based mod, and not by Benton.

I think it's nice that you're trying to defend BG, but this isn't really your fight to fight, KKHo. As seen in the past, when others try to jump into something that has barely a thing to do with them, things get ugly. Not to mention, you did try modding at least twice before, right? One of your points was already invalidated because of your previous efforts (AOA mod). IPS addressed BG head-on as the mod provider, so it'd be best if BG responded to any and all concerns IPS had. At the very least, if you're going to add in things, do it "after" the creator responds to the matter at hand.

Also, your last post didn't really argue against IPS's point about monopolization. I think you're missing the boat on that one, bud. You're really only digging a ditch.  :unsure:
Disappear when you least expe--

bearded

I want to give my support of what BG has done.  thank you, man.  I find myself encouraged by what you have created here.  it takes a great level of vision, ambition, and dedication.  and that is contagious in a 'give forward' sort of way, if you see what I mean.

I might have some critiques, and I will post them to you privately, so as not to take away from your accomplishment.

BentonGrey

Well, here we are again.  IPS, I'm afraid that I really can't say much more than I already have.  I appreciate the well considered way that you have presented your argument, and I certainly don't want to disregard it out of hand.  I also appreciate that you played the mod before coming to a conclusion, and that you acknowledge what this has been and continues to be for me.  I will try and make my case again, and then I'm going to make a request about how this be addressed in the future. 

Years and years ago I downloaded the DCU mod, played it through, and absolutely loved every minute of it.  It was vast, incorporating tons of characters I loved, tons that I'd never heard of, many of them just as fodder in great brawls.  I used that mod as a base for all of my DCU collecting, leaning heavily on it for meshes, skins, etc.  Eventually though, I would see other skins, meshes, or skopes that people had created (of the same characters, maybe new characters, but new creations nontheless), and say to myself, "wow!  I really want to use THAT."  I wanted to use it so much that I learned the basics of changing out content in FF.  Eventually, I loved new creations so much that I even would modify classic mods to use new meshes and skins.  I have a copy of Suicide Squad sitting in my FF folder using almost exclusively newer meshes and skins I scrabbled from here and there.  Having a base to start from didn't stop me from constantly standing in awe at the things our content creators brought forth, and I don't really believe that it will have such a cataclysmic effect on a wider scale either.  We have always been a community of diehards and passers through.  Those who are here, watching in wonder as our artists continue to push new boundaries, and those who show up, download a mod, and never really engage.  I don't think that this is likely to change any time soon.

In the end, I can say only what I have always said.  I brought this idea forward YEARS ago.  I received a great deal of enthusiasm, interest, and support, from content creators as well as those, who like me, had not found a way to contribute.  I explained my idea again and again, and I have worked harder than you could possibly imagine to see it brought to fruition.  I am now, and will always be, willing to remove the work of ANYONE who does not approve of the way I used it.  I absolutely do not want to misuse anyone's work, but until I hear such a request, I am afraid that I will continue to try and make the DCUG what it was always intended to be.  I believe very strongly in the worth of my project, and I believe that it will be of benefit to the community, and not of harm.  If I did not believe this with all of my heart, I would not have released it.  I've already started to see the results in a small way, and I hope that I continue to see them magnified.  I appreciate your view IPS, and I do not believe that I have anything made by you in the mod...if I do, I will remove it if you so desire (there may be a set of keyframes, I'd have to check).  Now that you have expressed your final view on the subject, I ask (and I do not imagine that I have to ask, but do so for clarity) that if you wish to discuss this further, after the current conversation has concluded, that you do so in another thread, or via PMs.  I want everyone to feel free to discuss this again, but not indefinitely.  I hope to one day put nearly everything that I have included to use, and until then I hope that everyone enjoys the sandbox that I created for myself, and have offered to the community.

:EDIT: I also want to address what you said about the flexibility of the campaigns.  This was not so much a conscious choice as a function of my inexperience with EZScript.  To get things to work right, I needed to call characters names in the missions, and to do that, I had to define the teams.  I definitely want to introduce missions and campaigns that can be played with wide ranges of characters, and I have learned a GREAT deal in building these first three campaigns, so that has become a real possibility. 

:EDIT: Bearded, feel free.  In the end, everyone is equally free to download or not download my mod and its expansions as they see fit.
God Bless