Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Happy 2021 !!!

Author Topic: The Marvel Thread  (Read 291345 times)

Offline HarryTrotter

Re: The Marvel Thread
« Reply #3810 on: August 23, 2021, 04:43:08 PM »
So I caught up with Amazing Spiderman. Basically every storyline starts with X is back  and ends with well,that went nowhere. I hope Sinister War actually delivers on something here. Its going well so far,but so did every other event in this run.
Also,Peter legit says: "Kingpin just wants to use the tablet to bring back his dead wife,it's not the end of the world". Dude,are you aware of the tropes of your own universe? Does that sound like something that's gonna end well? Thou,he actually brings back
Spoiler: ShowHide
his son
.so like yeah,that guy existed...
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Offline Silver Shocker

« Reply #3811 on: August 23, 2021, 11:34:27 PM »
Indeed. This run is often not bad per say, but it is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Sinister War is fun, just for the sheer free for all of the various villains coming to the battle royale of it all, but one part has me shrugging at it:

The return of Sin Eater. Guy comes back from the dead, dies again, and now he's back again with a posse of the guys whose powers he stole, including Morlun, who used to be a big bad main villain all his own, and Juggernaut, who's an X-Men character who recently had his own miniseries.

In other news, She-Hulk is apparently being shipped off to the Fantastic Four books after the World War She-Hulk arc in Avengers, Spider-Man's getting a one-shot tie-in to Death of Doctor Strange, in the main book Spidey's meeting the Daughters of the Dragon.

Also Larry Hama is writing the next arc of X-Men Legends. I gotta read that book sometime.

Offline GhostMachine

• Flying through the sky, poking evil in the eye!
    • My Comic Art gallery
« Reply #3812 on: August 26, 2021, 04:56:33 PM »
Is She-Hulk still bulked up and thinking photographers trying to take pictures of her rear is a worse situation than what Bruce has to go through?

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #3813 on: August 26, 2021, 05:50:34 PM »
Last time I checked, she looked like Hulk. Because Hulk was being rebooted as a zombie or something.
Jon Farmer

Offline Silver Shocker

« Reply #3814 on: August 26, 2021, 10:37:31 PM »
Based on that Fantastic Four cover in the solicits, she's back to looking like her old self by the time that storyline comes out.

Offline UnkoMan

• Gummy Hand of Justice
  • Evil is afoot! No, the whole leg!
« Reply #3815 on: August 29, 2021, 05:35:45 PM »
Hulk's not a zombie but he CAN come back from the dead, but so can all Gamma characters, and also... all super heroes.
The current run makes mention of it, but specifically about Gamma characters coming back, and what they see, and what is the ultimate nature of Gamma in the Marvel universe. It's a whole big thing.

She Hulk is there a little bit, and she's used pretty good, but it didn't explain why she got big now. It does use her pretty good with her mind thinking regular human thoughts but her Hulk form being unable to express them in full sentences, or with full meaning. It's pretty neat and works for the Immortal Hulk series, of which she had her own standalone Immortal She Hulk issue.
I don't know how well this storyline is working in the other comics? I tried to look at an Avengers and it just wasn't for me, ha ha.

But Jen becoming fun again and being with the FF again is always good. What is going on with them these days?

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #3816 on: August 29, 2021, 06:17:11 PM »
I tried to look at an Avengers and it just wasn't for me, ha ha.
As discussed earlier in the thread,Aarons run really is something special. It's the American Dad of Avenger runs.
Jon Farmer

Offline UnkoMan

• Gummy Hand of Justice
  • Evil is afoot! No, the whole leg!
« Reply #3817 on: August 30, 2021, 12:30:26 AM »
Ha ha, well that might be why it isn't for me.
To each their own.

Offline Silver Shocker

« Reply #3818 on: August 30, 2021, 07:04:50 AM »
Reading Cable Reloaded, which is part of a crossover with Guardians of the Galaxy, and it features - I kid you not...

....a two page spread you have to turn on it's side. I'd almost think Al Ewing and/or the artist did that on purpose.

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #3819 on: September 08, 2021, 07:56:55 PM »
So the next event is Devils Reign (generic enough that Matt Wagner can't sue us,haha). It's about Kingpin and the NY based heroes (which is every single Marvel character, basically). It sounds like a Voltron of 3-5 previous events,but I might at least see the ASM portion of it.
Jon Farmer

Offline Silver Shocker

« Reply #3820 on: September 08, 2021, 09:07:46 PM »
Only 6 issues? That doesn't seem so bad. Looks kinda interesting.

Meanwhile, in Amazing Spider-Man:

Boomerang died taking a hit for Spider-Man, Doc Ock pulled a fast one on Kindred, Sins Past got retconned so that Norman never slept with or had kids with Gwen Stacy - it was a plot by Harry as the Goblin, Mysterio, and Mendel Strom that involved hypnotizing Norman and MJ, and growing test tube babies, and also Harry never came back to life, every version of Harry we've seen in this storyline is a fake.

Crazy stuff.

Offline SickAlice

• One-Eyed Willy
  • I'm of a mind to make some mookie.
    • The Litterbox aka MeanJellybean
« Reply #3821 on: September 09, 2021, 02:37:58 PM »
I'm okay enough with what they're doing in ASM in so much as resolving storylines however needed that have been known eyesores in the canon directing at OMD/OMIT/BND (looking ahead at the next ominous cover here) and SP and things that came out of it as Silver brings up. This leaves one dangling plot point by my count left.

Equally good with how Daredevil is wrapping the entire long saga now. Hoping we don't see a final issue flub like in Shadowland but given how they're doing it so far I think they'll pull this one better than that.

Offline GhostMachine

• Flying through the sky, poking evil in the eye!
    • My Comic Art gallery
« Reply #3822 on: September 10, 2021, 08:00:13 PM »
I honestly haven't cared about Spider-Man since the whole OMD/BND thing. But "Sins Past" never should have happened. The editor at the time should have nixed that garbage. It requires retconning to be feasible to begin with, as JMS apparently doesn't understand how time works in comics. (Gwen was only overseas for a few weeks.)

Offline SickAlice

• One-Eyed Willy
« Reply #3823 on: September 11, 2021, 09:06:36 PM »
I stay with since it's a childhood standard but that's the size of it for me as well. If this is how they're bring those plots to life in order to bury them finally and move forward, if the later soliticians are any indication than more power to all the weird stuff going on now I say. And I'm with you on Sins Past as well though it goes without saying that's been a subject of great contempt here since even before the internet was big and just in magazine articles in the day. Good riddance. This is me saying as such as one whose known for giving a ton of grace to even the hacky stuff out there.

Offline Silver Shocker

« Reply #3824 on: September 16, 2021, 04:37:59 PM »
ASM revisiting Sins Past and OMD - the most unfortunate thing about it (other than that Spencer's run has been horribly dragged out and bloated with overpriced one-shots) is that it is too little too late. I haven't checked on sites that have actual people, I'll admit, but this would have blown the barn doors off a good 5+ years ago, now it's more like "Oh they finally did it? Good for them. Ben Reilly and high tech stuff again next run, sure, why not? House of Ideas, am I right?"

Offline SickAlice

• One-Eyed Willy
« Reply #3825 on: September 17, 2021, 07:34:31 PM »
That oddball Legacy theme over at Marvel. I don't mind when they're rehashing the title but doing something unique with it now otherwise yeah, kind of flat. Maybe it's aimed at newer readers who hadn't picked up the old stuff, would make sense since they run ads for those TPBs in the backs of these. Otherwise I wouldn't say I'm stoked about this in it's a backward step. The every now and then need to to be unable to write Peter Parker, well I don't care for it in a book I get for that character. And if I read about Ben then I want to read about his character going forward and likewise in his own back. There's a lot there they simply did and acted like the character never went through it of course. I dunno about the 5+ year marker. Now I wanted them to tie it personally back during Spider-Island when the identity spell broke. But I know around that time people were still hot about the OMD thing and I can partly understand why they might of wanted to stay distant from it until enough time passed that the fanrage had died down. Ultimately they probably didn't want to go through a boycott again. But I feel you storywise there.