News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

So I caught up with Amazing Spiderman. Basically every storyline starts with X is back  and ends with well,that went nowhere. I hope Sinister War actually delivers on something here. Its going well so far,but so did every other event in this run.
Also,Peter legit says: "Kingpin just wants to use the tablet to bring back his dead wife,it's not the end of the world". Dude,are you aware of the tropes of your own universe? Does that sound like something that's gonna end well? Thou,he actually brings back
Spoiler
his son
.so like yeah,that guy existed...
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Indeed. This run is often not bad per say, but it is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Sinister War is fun, just for the sheer free for all of the various villains coming to the battle royale of it all, but one part has me shrugging at it:

Spoiler
The return of Sin Eater. Guy comes back from the dead, dies again, and now he's back again with a posse of the guys whose powers he stole, including Morlun, who used to be a big bad main villain all his own, and Juggernaut, who's an X-Men character who recently had his own miniseries.

In other news, She-Hulk is apparently being shipped off to the Fantastic Four books after the World War She-Hulk arc in Avengers, Spider-Man's getting a one-shot tie-in to Death of Doctor Strange, in the main book Spidey's meeting the Daughters of the Dragon.

Also Larry Hama is writing the next arc of X-Men Legends. I gotta read that book sometime.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

GhostMachine

Is She-Hulk still bulked up and thinking photographers trying to take pictures of her rear is a worse situation than what Bruce has to go through?

HarryTrotter

Last time I checked, she looked like Hulk. Because Hulk was being rebooted as a zombie or something.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Based on that Fantastic Four cover in the solicits, she's back to looking like her old self by the time that storyline comes out.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

UnkoMan

Hulk's not a zombie but he CAN come back from the dead, but so can all Gamma characters, and also... all super heroes.
The current run makes mention of it, but specifically about Gamma characters coming back, and what they see, and what is the ultimate nature of Gamma in the Marvel universe. It's a whole big thing.

She Hulk is there a little bit, and she's used pretty good, but it didn't explain why she got big now. It does use her pretty good with her mind thinking regular human thoughts but her Hulk form being unable to express them in full sentences, or with full meaning. It's pretty neat and works for the Immortal Hulk series, of which she had her own standalone Immortal She Hulk issue.
I don't know how well this storyline is working in the other comics? I tried to look at an Avengers and it just wasn't for me, ha ha.

But Jen becoming fun again and being with the FF again is always good. What is going on with them these days?

HarryTrotter

QuoteI tried to look at an Avengers and it just wasn't for me, ha ha.
As discussed earlier in the thread,Aarons run really is something special. It's the American Dad of Avenger runs.
Jon Farmer

UnkoMan

Ha ha, well that might be why it isn't for me.
To each their own.

Silver Shocker

Reading Cable Reloaded, which is part of a crossover with Guardians of the Galaxy, and it features - I kid you not...

....a two page spread you have to turn on it's side. I'd almost think Al Ewing and/or the artist did that on purpose.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

So the next event is Devils Reign (generic enough that Matt Wagner can't sue us,haha). It's about Kingpin and the NY based heroes (which is every single Marvel character, basically). It sounds like a Voltron of 3-5 previous events,but I might at least see the ASM portion of it.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Only 6 issues? That doesn't seem so bad. Looks kinda interesting.

Meanwhile, in Amazing Spider-Man:

Spoiler
Boomerang died taking a hit for Spider-Man, Doc Ock pulled a fast one on Kindred, Sins Past got retconned so that Norman never slept with or had kids with Gwen Stacy - it was a plot by Harry as the Goblin, Mysterio, and Mendel Strom that involved hypnotizing Norman and MJ, and growing test tube babies, and also Harry never came back to life, every version of Harry we've seen in this storyline is a fake.

Crazy stuff.
~Rocky Balboa

SickAlice

I'm okay enough with what they're doing in ASM in so much as resolving storylines however needed that have been known eyesores in the canon directing at OMD/OMIT/BND (looking ahead at the next ominous cover here) and SP and things that came out of it as Silver brings up. This leaves one dangling plot point by my count left.

Equally good with how Daredevil is wrapping the entire long saga now. Hoping we don't see a final issue flub like in Shadowland but given how they're doing it so far I think they'll pull this one better than that.

GhostMachine

I honestly haven't cared about Spider-Man since the whole OMD/BND thing. But "Sins Past" never should have happened. The editor at the time should have nixed that garbage. It requires retconning to be feasible to begin with, as JMS apparently doesn't understand how time works in comics. (Gwen was only overseas for a few weeks.)

SickAlice

I stay with since it's a childhood standard but that's the size of it for me as well. If this is how they're bring those plots to life in order to bury them finally and move forward, if the later soliticians are any indication than more power to all the weird stuff going on now I say. And I'm with you on Sins Past as well though it goes without saying that's been a subject of great contempt here since even before the internet was big and just in magazine articles in the day. Good riddance. This is me saying as such as one whose known for giving a ton of grace to even the hacky stuff out there.

Silver Shocker

ASM revisiting Sins Past and OMD - the most unfortunate thing about it (other than that Spencer's run has been horribly dragged out and bloated with overpriced one-shots) is that it is too little too late. I haven't checked on sites that have actual people, I'll admit, but this would have blown the barn doors off a good 5+ years ago, now it's more like "Oh they finally did it? Good for them. Ben Reilly and high tech stuff again next run, sure, why not? House of Ideas, am I right?"
~Rocky Balboa

SickAlice

That oddball Legacy theme over at Marvel. I don't mind when they're rehashing the title but doing something unique with it now otherwise yeah, kind of flat. Maybe it's aimed at newer readers who hadn't picked up the old stuff, would make sense since they run ads for those TPBs in the backs of these. Otherwise I wouldn't say I'm stoked about this in it's a backward step. The every now and then need to to be unable to write Peter Parker, well I don't care for it in a book I get for that character. And if I read about Ben then I want to read about his character going forward and likewise in his own back. There's a lot there they simply did and acted like the character never went through it of course. I dunno about the 5+ year marker. Now I wanted them to tie it personally back during Spider-Island when the identity spell broke. But I know around that time people were still hot about the OMD thing and I can partly understand why they might of wanted to stay distant from it until enough time passed that the fanrage had died down. Ultimately they probably didn't want to go through a boycott again. But I feel you storywise there.

SickAlice

Props to Kaare Andrews on Amazing Fantasy. Real stimulating stuff. It's directly to treasury edition so I suppose it speaks for itself.

Note: Just if I can manage to head anyone off don't read the Jan. solicitations. They blow the end of Death Of Strange in one of the other solicits in the listings.

SickAlice

Finished Darkhold. I have to give it thumbs down. The story is almost nonexistant. The bookends contain it, the rest are just macabre versions of What Ifs. The art is inconsistent. The only worthwhile point is it resolves dangling threads between the characters of Scarlet Witch, Dr. Doom and Chthon. Things related to The Darkhold and Chthon are in the story (bookends) but it pretty scattershot and likewise inconsistant. It's like what a low budget Darkhold themed Saturday morning cartoon might have looked like. Also a very obscure character is returned to Marvel but it happens for no given reason out of the blue with no tie to the story nor is explained. I feel what happened here is the aforementioned dangling plotlines and character relationships came up in a convo somewhere but it was never worked out how to cohesively go about it and they sort of slapped together what is otherwise videogame DLC costume fodder. I could say the individual books have merits though just approaching it as a story and event (not really even that though, more a label) else it isn't a must read for anyone.

Wastelanders: Doom: I got this on a whim. I have a fancy with certain characters that are obscure enough to considered urban legends. This one happens to drop a character from the old defunct Epic (collected Epic Anthology) for only the second time now in print since the original. I won't say past that but it's a pretty cool moment for fans of that stuff.

GhostMachine

Quote from: SickAlice on January 06, 2022, 03:59:50 AM
Finished Darkhold. I have to give it thumbs down. The story is almost nonexistant. The bookends contain it, the rest are just macabre versions of What Ifs. The art is inconsistent. The only worthwhile point is it resolves dangling threads between the characters of Scarlet Witch, Dr. Doom and Chthon. Things related to The Darkhold and Chthon are in the story (bookends) but it pretty scattershot and likewise inconsistant. It's like what a low budget Darkhold themed Saturday morning cartoon might have looked like. Also a very obscure character is returned to Marvel but it happens for no given reason out of the blue with no tie to the story nor is explained. I feel what happened here is the aforementioned dangling plotlines and character relationships came up in a convo somewhere but it was never worked out how to cohesively go about it and they sort of slapped together what is otherwise videogame DLC costume fodder. I could say the individual books have merits though just approaching it as a story and event (not really even that though, more a label) else it isn't a must read for anyone.

Wastelanders: Doom: I got this on a whim. I have a fancy with certain characters that are obscure enough to considered urban legends. This one happens to drop a character from the old defunct Epic (collected Epic Anthology) for only the second time now in print since the original. I won't say past that but it's a pretty cool moment for fans of that stuff.

Let me guess who the obscure Darkhold character is: Modred the Mystic?

SickAlice

GhostMachine

They brought back a character who was not only definitively dead, but also one of the lamest characters of the era they were introduced in?

UnkoMan

Spoilers and secrets but...

Spoiler
I quite liked the 2007 version of Omega. Definitely not for everybody, but it had the feel of an indie comic and was more like the sort of thing I'm into.
I'm assuming, as was said, this is zero percent like that.

SickAlice

I can't say for the character. A lot of obscure characters are popping up noting a few Casey creations so there must be a fan or two working there. Also that very specific character everyone has been waiting for is confirmed now. But just in terms of rating the story and looking at the elements like story structure and all in regards to the Darkhold book it was just, well it was out of the blue but much of what happens there is. Else they introduce characters to expand the line, that's a given trope for either of the big two so I get that one. Or staging for upcoming events though that character doesn't seem to fit the events coming up so I'm not sure what's up there.

Spoiler
Notable revealed returns are Aron The Watcher, The Badoon, Jack Of Hearts and Miracleman

I suppose, comic props. Final of Marauders was next to flawless writing. Devils Reign tie-in Spider-woman issue is a big surprise and speaking of other characters returning. Much of Devil's Reign has been well done so far, I expected as much as the Daredevil run was too. Hopefully it keeps that trend and doesn't go off the rails and have some oddball ending like Shadowland did.