News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Marvel Thread

Started by Previsionary, December 24, 2008, 11:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

Between Ravencroft, Thunderbolt and this,Kingpin assembled a lot of bad guy teams lately.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Kingpin's assembling some.....top men.

Who?

TOP. MEN.

In other news, The Heroes Return tie-ins are one-shots. I'm glad. It would have been a bit much otherwise, especially since the main book is coming out weekly.

Also, spinning out of Outlawed, a Reptil miniseries?

I saw a comment online that says "Who asked for this?" And I'm thinking "I don't know if anyone did, but it is kinda neat."

And also he's not green for some reason like he was in that brief cameo in Bendis' Iron Man, so that's cool.

The preview pages look decent, and you can see the Avengers Acadamy kids in flashback material so that's fun. Haven't decided if I'm going to pick this up, so I'll wait for now and figure it out.

Ok, here's something else. It's the stupidest, most trivial thing ever, but we're comic nerds, Power Pack is back in the comics and darn it this frustrates the ever loving crap out of me.

How the hell does teenage superheroes aging work?

Kitty Pryde's an adult. Every single New Mutant is an adult. Jubilee's a single mom, and I did research while I was writing this and Kamala Khan was introduced as 15 in 2013 and is now 17 in 2019's Magnificent Ms. Marvel, which is nonsense of the highest order because Cassie Lang was introduced in 1979 and was "15....in June" in Young Avengers #2 in 2005, and she's 15 in Ant-Man #1 in 2015.

Like what the actual crap? Cassie Lang was introduced a good decade or so before I was even born, and she was introduced before Jubilee and Tim Drake were, and she was 14 8 years before Kamala was introduced and Kamala aged faster than she did. She wasn't dead for that long!
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Avengers #43 So Black Panther has vibranium teeth? Like,why? 🤣
Other Phoenix-related stuff happens, but I can't get over this. Oh yeah,Thor talk with his mother and Jane steals jokes from Big Bang Theory. 🙄

Avengers Mech Strike #2 Okay,the Mech Suits are not as cool as I was led to believe and the characters are a bit off but it has
Spoiler
Kang
. That helps a lot.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Quote from: HarryTrotter on March 05, 2021, 08:59:23 PM
Avengers Mech Strike #2 Okay,the Mech Suits are not as cool as I was led to believe and the characters are a bit off but it has
Spoiler
Kang
. That helps a lot.

You have my curiosity. I may have to look into this.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Silver Shocker

Here's a quick, curious comic roundup:

Amazing Spider-Man:

Because Spencer is taking a page from the Jason Aaron page of writing, where having a 3 year + gig means you can drag a running plot down to hell and back again:

Spoiler
Mephisto's back and he's got some explaining to do about Peter Parker's magically damaged soul....

Oh snap, are they going there?

Next issue is a wacky storyline about Boomerang and the little space critter. Had me excited for a minute.

Non-Stop Spider-Man:

Spoiler
Baron Zemo of all people is the villain in this, and he is so bizarrely out of character in this story by Joe Kelly I'm half-convinced it's Deadpool or some other imposter under the mask. He literally says the phrase "I can't even" and has two other lines in the backup story he appears in that seem to indicate he's been on social media a lot. Including one line "they have drip" I had to look up (apparently it means a sense of style and fashion sense).

And lastly, Deadpool 30th Anniversary (which I haven't actually finished):

QuoteNo Fabian Nicieza? He is the co-creator after all. He may not be the one who installed the humor DP is known for, but he's one of the guys who brought him to the party. But still, I'm all for some non-serious DP hi-jinks. (Marvel needs to turn their collective Angst dial down from 11.)

It's my pleasure to confirm that Fabian and Patrick Zircher have a story in this book, with Fabian's story revisiting Wade's time in Weapon X and Zircher exaggerating Wade's skin condition to what has to be the most extreme it's ever been. He looks like Swamp Thing if he was made out of maggots.

Spoiler
Also Gail Simone's story featured Agent X, which made me quite happy.

A Cable-centric story also featured a smorgasbord of Cable designs from across the characters' history. "Soldier X" even made it in. Another story namedropped Vanessa aka Copycat.
~Rocky Balboa

Nyte Dragon

Quote from: Silver Shocker on March 15, 2021, 04:21:48 PM
And lastly, Deadpool 30th Anniversary (which I haven't actually finished):

It's my pleasure to confirm that Fabian and Patrick Zircher have a story in this book, with Fabian's story revisiting Wade's time in Weapon X and Zircher exaggerating Wade's skin condition to what has to be the most extreme it's ever been. He looks like Swamp Thing if he was made out of maggots.

You forgot the biggest thing in the whole book. It only took 30+ years, but Levi-Boy finally learned basic anatomy.... and how to properly draw feet.  :shock2: It actually seemed his section was done to contradict his naysayers by showing what is shockingly good art work. (Oh I have such a bad taste in my mouth, but truth is truth)

Now excuse me, I need to go rinse my mouth out with bleach.
Hate is always foolish and love is always wise.
 ⁓Doctor Who

Silver Shocker

Ben Affleck: No, bullcrap! Because I hadn't turned to that part ha-ha!

Yeah, it IS an improvement, it's some of Liefeld's best work (but let's be honest, part of the reason, as often is the case, is the colorist) but I've noticed a subtle improvement in the feet area for years, and some of it is....still not the greatest.

It still amuses me to no end that the feet joke actually made it into Deadpool 2, meaning mainstream audiences might actually know that the person who created Deadpool, Domino and Cable was known for an inability to draw feet.

But hey, Paco Medina learned how to draw noses somewhere around 2006, and Bachalo just got out a book with only one inker (admittedly, Non-Stop was delayed by almost a year, but oh well). #progress.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

ASM #61 where Spider-Man gets relegated to a supporting character in his own title. Because Boomerang is about to throw down with Kingpin (he even remembers to parody Batmans speech) and Tombstone finds out his daughter is dating Randy Robbinson. I hope you all remember Superior Foes and Conways run on Spider-Man. Otherwise,this wouldn't make any sense.
Anyway,Im fine with all of this,but can we finally wrap up the Kindred thing?
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I haven't even finished it, but this issue is definitely not a highlight.
On a related note, the letters page included in the previous issue had a nice variety of comments, some positive, some negative, and yes, Spider-Man getting relegated to a supporting character in his own title did come up. And Slott's run came up in the positive. Yeah, cuz Slott didn't do 30+ issues of Spider-Man replaced by a terrorist and have Pete standing around with his hands in his pockets for most of Spider-Verse while everyone told him he's "important" or whatever the phrasing was.

QuoteAnyway,Im fine with all of this,but can we finally wrap up the Kindred thing?

Some runs (Zub's T-Bolts, DNA's Guardians/Nova content, Yost's Scarlet Spider) end so abruptly they don't actually get to resolve their plots and characters and they just disappear without a trace for years. (Never forget poor Jolt)

And then you have Aaron's Avengers and Spencer's Spidey where they go on for over 3 years and they just drag out stories until they start to get annoying (though at least Aaron's Avengers is fun in a so-bad-it's-good way).

Somewhere in the middle lies the sweet spot. And you know, more consistently decent writing helps.

So anyway, here's my long delayed thoughts on Champions: Outlawed #4! :P  (I haven't read #5 yet)

Ms. Marvel gets lectured about "doomscrolling" (which as I understand it, means being addicted to reading bad news and upsetting comments on social media). Whatever else I have to say about this mini, Eve Ewing gets all the praise in the multiverse for that, because it's actually a really good idea. I have no idea if that came up in her own book, but that was a good moment. Probably be better if it wasn't the Sam Alexander Nova giving the speech. I'm reasonably sure he's out of character in this book (I have been reading his content from the start, after all), but there's a slight possibility I'm getting him mixed up with the smug jerk from the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon?

Also Cycops is actually a nice guy, and not a tool, and that's nice and refreshing. And I am not going to ask why Shadowcat is now Captain Harlock minus the eyepatch (or if you prefer, Corsair from the Starjammers). Also Attuma shows up to cause trouble because there's no escaping Jason Aaron's Avengers. And the art is very noticeably rushed in spots to get this issue out in time (I took a look at the first two pages of #5 and it seems to be better).

Anyway, issue #3 had a letters page, and one person who wrote in had this to say:

"How about including some of the Avengers Academy generation from ten years ago here? And if we're talking young Avengers - not those ones -- then how about using Silverclaw or Triathalon/3-D Man? Those are some of the shortest tenured Avengers in history, natch -- but are they really that bad? Rage ended up with the New Warriors, right?"

The response from the writer herself was simply a joke about the book being packed with characters.

Of course I can relate. There's a lot of characters like that I wish would show up more. Nevar forget poor Jolt. And are Silverclaw and Triathalon/3-D Man that bad? They are not. No worse than some of the newer characters, and better than some. if you can't get content out of Jarvis' foster daughter, then you're just not interested in trying. And once again, Reptil has a new mini coming out.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Im reading Alan Davis' Excalibur. Great art,even if I never really got into Excalibur. And I can always go for some Technet. I think they were last seen in a Rocket Racoon mini.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I think I've only read the opening graphic novel or one-shot or whatever. In a world of X-Men spinoffs, Excalibur was certainly unique. And Claremont got to indulge in some of his more wacky and strange elements.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Amazing Spider-man 63- so hes literately looking at memes of himself. Tune in next time to see Spider-man check his Kiwi Farms thread?

Avengers- So
Spoiler
Echo
is now Phoenix. Because...random? I mean,this is the comic where Black Panther has vibranium grills,so probably best not to apply logic to it.

Avengers Mech Strike- Oh look,its's
Spoiler
Thanos
. Great. I could be reading Grendel Devils Odyssey #5 instead of this.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Quote from: HarryTrotter on April 15, 2021, 03:32:49 PM
Avengers Mech Strike- Oh look,its's
Spoiler
Thanos
. Great. I could be reading Grendel Devils Odyssey #5 instead of this.

You got me beat. I haven't even look at any of the interiors of that book.
Spider-Man's pretty dopey at the moment. After this they're doing a big arc about the Chamelion. Not sure what to think about that but oh well.

Heroes Reborn is almost out. I don't know whether to be looking forward to it or dreading it.

~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Right,the one where they replaced everyone with parodies of Justice League. By Jason Aaron. That can only end in good.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Darkhawk: The Heart of the Hawk: The 30th Anniversary special

I've been looking forward to this for months. The original creative team doing a classic era story, plus Abnett and Divito doing a modern style story. So good.

Mike Manley art...I was never the biggest fan of it, and I'm not here, but the sheer novelty of him and Danny Fingeroth returning to the character is too nifty to ignore. I'll admit, I don't especially remember some of the characters popping up in Fingeroth's story - it's been years since I read the original Darkhawk series - but I didn't feel too punished for it.

Didn't even realize Abnett returning to the character would be an opportunity to make up for the dropped plots from Realm of Kings (which WERE already picked up in the post-Bendis GotG stuff, mind). It's nice.

And that ending?!

Spoiler
They KILL OFF Dawkhawk in his own 30th anniversary special?!

I'll say this, having him reflect on his accomplishments with a sense of pride....it's a better death than some characters have gotten, but it leaves me with a unsettling sense of melancholy.

And the Amulet flies off like a GL ring to find a new host, with the end of the book promising a new Dark Hark comic. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I'm uneasy as how to feel about it. Nova worked out all right. I like both Sam and Rich and they're both in the books these days. I guess I'll just have to stay open minded and see what I think of it when it comes out.

I did have the ending spoiled just a bit before I read the book, and that's frustrating in the moment, but it's still an enjoyable book and it's nice to see how the plot shakes out in the actual book.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Is the King in black event still going? I feel like Avengers aftermath issue kinda misses the timing. Which involves Echo and Ghost Rider bonding over being on fire and Blade becoming the sheriff of the vampire country. Never change,Aaron.
And I guess Sinister War is the big Spiderman event of the summer.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I mean to do a comics roundup in the near future (ASM, Champions and maybe Empyre, which I am close to wrapping up) but for now I've got this:

From the Marvel August 2021 solicitations: August 2021 is apparently the month of the miniseries:

-KANG THE CONQUEROR is getting a 4-issue miniseries, with the first issue being 40 pages, and the solicit message mentioning Kang sending advice to his "younger self" which might imply a cameo by Iron Lad from Young Avengers.

I may have to get that.

-The Winter Guard is getting the same treatment. 4 issue mini, first issue 40 pages. That's different.

-The new Defenders book is a 5 issue mini written by Al Ewing, paying off the Masked Raider plot from Marvel 1000 and 1001 and Incoming.

-The new Darkhawk book, which is a 5 issue mini by Kyle Higgens and introducing a new Darkhawk. Looks cool. I'll probably get that.

-Avengers: Tech-On, a Sentei-inspired series created in association with Bandai Namco of Japan, written by Jim Zub. Interesting.

Marvel's doing another Annihilation storyline only a year or two after the last one, "The Last Annihilation" (sure, and "Final Crisis" was the Final storyline with "Crisis" in the title), running not only in Guardians of the Galaxy but also, for some reason, in Cable of all things.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Maybe Marvel has some plans for Kang,seeing he's also in Avengers Mech Strike. They could lay off Thanos for a bit,anyway.
I'm almost curious as to what will current year Marvel do with a Russian super team.
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

Random drop off from me here but points to Heroes Reborn: Young Squadron (2021) for the big and obscure shout-out it gave to the dime bin title Heroes Reborn: Young Allies (200). The HR: Doomsday series is one of my hidden gems so I was pleased to it.

Silver Shocker

Cool stuff. I might give more extensive thoughts on recent comics at a later time (catching up is hard right now - the current writer on Champions is so incredibly wordy he'd make Chris Claremont sweat) but I'll say for now I literally bought the old Heroes Reborn spinoff one-shots from the bargain bin years ago and enjoyed them quite a bit. Was also a fan of Sean McKeever's Young Allies series and the Onslaught mini that wrapped it. So having them get referenced in this new one is probably the most pleasant surprise I didn't see coming.
~Rocky Balboa

SickAlice

I thought immediately of Remnants partly because there's a similarity in the plot as well here. Like I said a soft spot for those complete obscurities. Power Pachyderms, X-Nation 2099, Epic Anthology, That Malibu imprint Exiles book with Juggernaut in it, so on. And that HR: Doom stuff was pretty much all obscurity so it sticks in there as well. Liked the above mentioned YA and Onslaught mini you're talking about as well. Under-rated stuff. Just when they do those clapbacks but never really say outright it's happening but if you had been there then you catch that wink of course. Makes me smirk.

Silver Shocker

So I haven't had quite the time or incentive to give the Marvel comic reviews I used to extensively write but I have chipped away at a bunch of stuff, so here's a rather short and sweet comics roundup:

Jason Aaron's Avengers:
"Enter the Phoenix" was indeed goofy and so-bad-it's-good. The King In Black tie-in following that features Blade becoming the sheriff of a vampire town in Russia, in Chernobyl of something similar, ran by Dracula.

Then we get Heroes Reborn. Which I've not finished yet. But it's basically a mix of House of M, the original Heroes Reborn and Thunderbolts. I gotta admit. I actually legit like it. It's goofy, unnecessary, derivative, played out and chock full of that Jason Aaron hubris, but it's fun. And that's without even reading the tie-ins yet.

Champions:

I don't like Lecchio's art. There's a lot of cringe banter that is called out for being groaners which means the writer gets away with it. Kamala Khan is rude and disrespectful to her own teammates, and at one point threatens to physically assault her best friend out of annoyance in what is clearly meant to be a harmless joke. At point Bombshell says she has to go to two different kinds of therapy as a result of being in a concentration camp, something that was partially Kamala's fault, and this never comes up even though Viv Vision is repeatedly wrecked with guilt for ratting her out her friends to the Feds for reasons that were never spelled out.

And yet, I don't hate it. Ironheart is one of the better characters in it, and she's used fairly well (not surprisingly, the writer of the Outlaws arc previously wrote her book)

Avengers/Fantastic Four Empyre: Empyre is about two things: Mantis' son being a villain for some reason, and Hulkling and Wiccan getting married. At one point Mr. Fantastic gets an Iron Man suit because of course the comic corner of Marvel would do that. Also Tony Stark talks about putting an "armor" (forcefield) over the Sun to keep it from being destroyed.

I liked it. :) It's not great, it runs a bit too long and has too many tie-ins (it is an event book, after all.), but of the ones I've read, and I'll admit I haven't read all of them (didn't read Original Sin, Civil War 2, War of the Realms, or King in Black, haven't read an X-Men since the Inhumans crap started), but honestly, I think it's one of the better ones. The art is decent and consistent, and that's a massive improvement on Secret Empire, which of course also had way too many tie-ins.

Less thrilled was I when Speed from the Young Avengers got downgraded to a token love interest to an X-Men character based on a throwaway joke from Gillen's YA run, turned into Bart Allen knockoff when the original writer wrote him as a loose cannon bad boy, and then finally carted his poor butt off to the X-Men books. Pretty crap for a YA fan like me.

Amazing Spider-Man: Mephisto's back, in a twist straight out of shonen manga/anime Kindred is not really Harry Osborn but some other person who or may not ALSO be Harry Osborn, it's hinted repeatedly that Spencer's run might be ending with One More Day being reversed, and Doc Ock is back with a Sinister Six.

As of the recently released first issue of Sinister War:

Spoiler
Peter's got a ring and is going to propose to Mary Jane. One of the covers for the final issue of Spencer's run has Pete and MJ happily swinging through the city. So even if the deal with Mephisto isn't reversed, the two might be getting married again anyway.

An upcoming story coming out is "The Dark Age" which was teased in, of all things, a Free Comic Book Day X-Men comic, and will be some kind of dark future scenario involving the Avengers, the FF, and, apparently, the Heroes for Hire and the Champions. It's written by Tom Taylor, who IMO is probably the most unappreciated rising star in Marvel and DC comics these days, or close to it. I'm unclear on whether it has an impact on the mainline books or is purely an elseworlds tale, and if I can I'd to decide whether to get it based on that, but we'll see.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

So the guy behind the Injustice comic is doing a bad future event? I can't see that going well.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I've really gotta read that Injustice comic one of these days. Both because you've been saying it was crap, and because two of my comic book owners in my lifetime swore by it. And also animated movie coming out.

Thing you gotta remember about the Injustice comic is 1) It was a video game tie-in comic and 2) It was a 52-style series with an enormous amount of comics coming out for a long time. Its quality and the final product will stem largely from those two factors.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

QuoteI've really gotta read that Injustice comic
Trust me,you don't. It's a comic that starts with Superman killing his pregnant wife and then gets way worse. Reading the inscriptions in Dagons temple would probably be better for your sanity.
Jon Farmer

naitvalis

Quote from: HarryTrotter on July 28, 2021, 04:20:01 AM
Reading the inscriptions in Dagons temple would probably be better for your sanity.
Hahaha that was funny.

Silver Shocker

Trust me,you don't. It's a comic that starts with Superman killing his pregnant wife and then gets way worse. Reading the inscriptions in Dagons temple would probably be better for your sanity.

I've read Ultimatum. I can't imagine the Injustice Comic being especially worse than that.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Silver Shocker on July 28, 2021, 06:03:33 AM

I've read Ultimatum. I can't imagine the Injustice Comic being especially worse than that.
Nightwing trips on his trucheon and breaks his neck Scary Movie style. And that's just one of the myriad of stupid, pointless character murders that happen. So yeah, it's worse then Ultimatum. It's the worse DC comic in the history of DC comics, possibly ever.

QuoteHahaha that was funny.
I see you were not around for my Lovecraft read.
Jon Farmer

UnkoMan

Oh hello.
Has anybody been reading Immortal Hulk much? I only found it mentioned a few times. I only started at #27 and it was weird but I quickly got sucked in. Then I had to wait a bit so I'm catching up now.
I think it's pretty cool. I'm sure everybody here knows about The One Above All, who is basically Marvel's version of the JudeoChristian God and has been portrayed as both Kirby and Stan on separate occasions.
Well, and maybe this is a spoiler:
Spoiler
Now they've got the One Below All, their devil. Cosmic rays/power might come from the one above, an gamma power from the one below. It's an interesting development.
I really like how this comic uses a bunch of Hulk history shout outs, and builds on stuff that is there to provide its own good story. I don't like a lot of serialized comics, but this one just goes for it. And they use The Leader in a great way, making up for stories where he was used poorly, in a logical, in-universe way. Excellent!

Anyhow, I think it's pretty good! Though I hope it ends with a solid conclusion.

I also randomly read through the first new Defenders today. It was pretty cool! I'm on board for some weird magic stuff, and hopefully it delivers.
It mentions some other Marvel Universe developments that I was less enthusiastic about. Primarily... they made ANOTHER Adam Warlock? Who instantly turned on his creators in the most cliched way possible? Wow, for super scientists who can create a perfected being, they sure are dumb. (I think only one of the group was involved in making this one, but still)
The dialogue from the actual Iron Man comic this happened is quite cliche.

Anyhow, pumped for Defenders. Hope that turns out good.

Other than this I don't know what's going on in Marvel comics, ha ha ha. The first story run of the latest Exiles was okay, but a bit too fast paced.

Silver Shocker

Defenders book interests me a bit. Both because it's by Al Awing and I like him, and it's continuing the Masked Raider story from Marvel 1000, 1001 and Incoming. Never really got into the classic Defenders lineup though, so I'll likely read it down the line.
~Rocky Balboa