Green Lantern is the top comic in my mind. Discuss.

Started by Mahu, December 23, 2008, 12:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahu

Not only are the characters well defined, but the universe has been expanded in ways that seem simple but has been for the better.

I am literally speechless on how good this book is.
"I feel they owe me." -Comic Book Guy
"They gave you thousands of hours of quality entertainment for free. If anything you owe them." - Bart
"Worst Episode Ever." -Comic Book Guy
[img]http://www.stkp.com/FF/FWBUTTONS/hamsterbutton.gif[/img][url

Thuellai

A man (or woman?  I won't assume) after my own heart, Mahu.  I loves me some Corps.  Or just the current GL by himself, whatever works.  Still sort of iffy about this Blackest Night thing but if they stick with the Sinestro Corps writing team it should be strong.  It seems like a concept they could handle and another team could screw up in a heartbeat.  Green Lantern has always been one of my favorites, along with Firestorm.  'Course, a lot fewer people've heard of Firestorm.

murs47

It's about the only thing DC is doing right at the moment. Geoff Johns is a Green Lantern mastermind.

Thuellai

I've grabbed a ton of GLs and Sinestro Corps members.  Planning to put together hero files for all of them and have a big ol' brawl using FFX.  Should be stylish.

On which note - Mogo map?  Yes, no, awesome?  Discuss.

Also, I'm currently running a game of the most recent Marvel Universe RPG focusing on the Corps.  On the Internet.  Because I am a huge GL nerd.

Vertex

Well, I'd say I love the current take they have on the whole Green Lantern universe... with the exception of the "blackest night" arc... in particular I'm not exactly impressed with how they are going with their abilities.. such as the red lanterns spitting up blood and the blue lanterns apparently be power boosters through their hope. They had a good theory with Star Sapphire and that take on a diff "lantern" power.. just wish they thought it through a bit more on their "take" on other lantern types.
A wise man knows, he knows nothing
I must be the wisest man on Earth,
cause I don't know squat

GhostMachine

Quote from: murs47 on December 23, 2008, 01:05:06 AM
It's about the only thing DC is doing right at the moment. Geoff Johns is a Green Lantern mastermind.

I take it you're not reading Wonder Woman, then?

And yes, Geoff Johns is a mastermind, period. He's been doing an incredible job on Justice Society of America, as well.

(No comment on Green Lantern, because I'm anti-Hal)

Podmark

I read the Sinestro Corps War in trade form. It was very good, and I'll probably pick The next part of that story in trade as well. I consider Geoff Johns one of the top comics writers today.
On principle I can't get Green Lantern regularly as it stars Hal Jordan.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

AfghanAnt

I loved the Sinestro Corp War storyline but lately (like a lot of Johns' work) the title has been falling a little flat for me. I actually dropped the title.

BentonGrey

I just finished reading the Sinestro War storyline (thanks to the library, as DC isn't getting any of my money) and I have to say that I enjoyed it to some extent.  It was largely well written, and there was a definite sense of desperate heroism.  There are few stories I like so well as the few-against-man, hopeless resistance kind of tale.  I definitely enjoy Johns' writting, and it really is a crying shame that he has to tell his stories in a universe so corrupted by so many years of bad decisions.  Still, even as good as that series was, it still had its problems.  The decision to kill was handled with too little reflection.  One or two lines of dialog about how the universe fears the GL Corps. now, while a brilliant concept, don't quite capture the scope of the change, especially in the point of view of the Earth lanterns.  That, plus the art that got WAY overly gory and violent at times (you might even say that they indulged in the violence, a concept I am uncomfortable with) hold the Sinestro Corps. storyline back, even if the rest of the series addresses these issues.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Xenolith

The GL stuff is very interseting, but very slow developing.  I prefer JSA which is merely slow developing.

daglob

Sad to see how many people hate Hal. Me, I hate this Hal, just as I hate the present Tony Stark.

Weird that the whole time he was being turned into an attention deficiet, irresponsible jerk without enough willpower to run a flashlight, some writers were still writing the Silver Age version...

And, not to hijack the thread, but don't you really want to see Iron Man suddenly attacked by someone in a big, old, gold suit of armor and after he gets the snot beat out of him, the guy in the old suit takes off his helmet and it's... Tony Stark! The imposter is a skrull, LMD, Doombot, The Chameleon, whoever.

Podmark

Actually I like current Tony. Though admittedly I wasn't much of an Iron Man fan before hand.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Mahu

Honestly, as a Kyle fan, I have yet to fully understand the whole "my GL is better" concept. Personally, I never really "knew" Hal before Johns run, and I have to say that I have found the character to be interesting and a must buy.

(And I like current Tony too. I always though of Iron Man as cold practically logical CEO. During Civil War, I actually found Captian America's portrayal to be off. I can understand the logical argument of "this isn't good, but the alternative is worst". Captain America seemed to just be more bullish and stubborn then I though he should be. Anyways, another thread.)

I am eagerly awaiting Blackest Night. It just may make up for Final Crisis (unless the last two issues are the best GM has ever written and everything makes seance.)
"They gave you thousands of hours of quality entertainment for free. If anything you owe them." - Bart

yell0w_lantern

Just picked up the latest issue of GL and I must say that I loved it!
Yellow Lantern smash!

Mahu

I agree, on a Storyline called "Rage of the Red Lanterns" the Blue Lanterns where surprising and rather cool.

laughing paradox

To be honest, the DC book that has got me on pins and needles is the Legion of Three Worlds. The Legion storyline that Johns wrote last year was unbelievably perfect, the way he reintroduced the original Legion of Super-Heroes.

I'm not a huge fan of Green Lantern, but I do enjoy this iteration of the character more than anything else I've read before.

Vertex

Quote from: laughing paradox on January 06, 2009, 10:13:52 PM
To be honest, the DC book that has got me on pins and needles is the Legion of Three Worlds. The Legion storyline that Johns wrote last year was unbelievably perfect, the way he reintroduced the original Legion of Super-Heroes.

I'm not a huge fan of Green Lantern, but I do enjoy this iteration of the character more than anything else I've read before.

Boy are you miserable then in a lot of ways.. since there's only 1 more issue of that series before it's canceled. Legion that is.. not the mini series.
A wise man knows, he knows nothing
I must be the wisest man on Earth,
cause I don't know squat

Podmark

Quote from: Vertex on January 06, 2009, 11:37:16 PM

Boy are you miserable then in a lot of ways.. since there's only 1 more issue of that series before it's canceled. Legion that is.. not the mini series.

I can't recall if it's been officially announced yet but Legion is expected to be relaunched. 
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

GhostMachine

Quote from: Podmark on January 06, 2009, 11:44:05 PM

I can't recall if it's been officially announced yet but Legion is expected to be relaunched. 

Yeah, but....which Legion will it be?

Oh, and Johns is leaving JSA after issue #26, apparently. :(

laughing paradox

Oh, I wasn't talking about the current iteration of the Legion. That book crumbled when Jim Shooter got on it.. which is ironic, since Shooter is the one that made the Legion good to begin with. Anyway, after the Legion of Three Worlds mini-series, the original Legion (I think.. and hope!) will be in the all new Adventure Comics series.

Misery need not reply here. :)

Podmark

Quote from: laughing paradox on January 11, 2009, 08:12:01 AM
Anyway, after the Legion of Three Worlds mini-series, the original Legion (I think.. and hope!) will be in the all new Adventure Comics series.

Yeah that is true. I saw Didio talking about it this week on Newsarama.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page