News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Report PM Spammers Here

Started by stumpy, February 15, 2010, 07:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

This thread is to consolidate reports of PM spammers in one place. Sometimes it's tough to know whether one of your friendly neighborhood FR admins is already aware that there is a spammer on the loose. If you get one of those PMs and don't see the spammer reported here, then feel free to use the "Report to Admin" link for the PM and mention it here so that others know it has been reported. If you see the spammer mentioned in this thread, we know about him and he probably sent the PM you received before he was reported.

[BTW, this thread is only for spam sent via the board's personal message (PM) function. Spam posted in the forum threads should be reported using the "Report to moderator" link at the bottom of the post. This thread may be tidied up once in  a while, if it starts to get unwieldy.]

BTW, to restate the general precautions: Be wary if you get a PM from someone you don't know advising you to follow a link to see a product or to "fix" some problem he claims to have detected on your PC. Be especially cautious if the person is new to the board or hasn't posted before; people don't generally sign up for a board like ours just so they can provide recommendations for virus scan software. Most importantly, if you are suspicious of a PM you've received, don't follow any links in the PM!

Anyway, to start things out, I will note  that we have recently dealt with spammers sending PMs under the names RazzorrMan, GafarozzMan, and Cliffinzz. It probably won't be long before non double Z spammers show up...

Also:
MannInBlack
AaronTassle
SecurityAnalyst
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

deano_ue

another board i know off just got hit with this as well. must be something in the board scripts

Ajax

Here I was coming here to report this and there is already a thread. You guys rock.

Name: MannInBlackk

stumpy

Thanks for the note. We banned MannInBlack a little while ago, but any PMs he sent will still be in people's inboxes.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

stumpy

Just added another bogus virus spammer, SecurityAnalyst. I don't know if he got a chance to send out any PMs before we showed him the door, but he is gone for the nonce.