• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

starting the LSH mod ?

Started by Pariah, January 31, 2008, 02:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pariah

Greetings:

I am not sure if this is the right place, so if not kindly give me a nudge in the right direction. Thank you.

I am having an issue with the Legion of Super Heroes mod. I recently got back to playing Freedom Force and had played the Strangers Mod and decided to try to other ones and picked  LSH from the link at the FR World Wiki site.

Prior to installing the LSH mod, I downloaded the FFX 3.2 unofficial mod and after verifying that it worked installed LSH. The instructions said for me to follow what the Readme said. However, after I installed the game, I got no readme file and no executable for the LSH.

I have the FF and the FFX executables and both of those still work but no option to play LSH and there is some LSH files inside the FF vsTTR directory, but no executable.

Thank you,

Albert - PariahSolo - eastwoodaen

stumpy

(Just to make sure, you are trying to play the LSH mod with FFvT3R and not the original Freedom Force, right? I only ask because you mention it in the same breath as talking about the Strangers mod, which is for the first game.)

There should be a shortcut that lets you start the game running the LSH mod. (There is a note on this in the Game FAQ.) If you can't find one in your FFvT3R base folder or in the LSH folder beneath it, you can create it yourself.

• Find the shortcut that successfully lets you run FFX 3.2 and make a copy of that shortcut.
  • Rename that shortcut to "LSH Mod"
  • Right-click on the new shortcut and choose Properties.
  • In the Shortcut tab of the properties dialog that opens, look in the Target field.
  • There should be a part of that field that says -game ffx3. Change that to be -game lsh.
  • Click OK

Now you should be able to double-click on the new shortcut and start the LSH mod.

Pariah

Hey Stumpy,

Your instructions were right on the number. I went ahead and reinstalled the mod (combining the five files again, so now I think i have them in my FFv3dR folder twice and I saw the Readme but it was greek to me. Your instructions were very similar and yet made much more sense to me.

I was able to start it up and look at some of the characters and about ticked myself. I chided my 11 year old when he made a character that cost 30K. 30K is a drop in the bucket for a lot of those Legionaires (I think I saw a couple who were in the 111K range). I don't know why I was expecting them to be in the 20-30K range. But then again, I never was a fan of the Big Red S syndrome.

I test drove what I thought a superpowered Thor would be (I actually got him up to like 50K) and had him go against Timberwolf. Now granted it had been a few years since I read a comic with Timberwolf in it so him not being phased by Thor's hammer strike and then him thrall-slapping Thor multiple times wasn't pretty. Thor won by the way, he only had to connect 3 times to drop Twolf.

There is a few characters that when I clik on them I get a empty box or an actual box. I ran into this issue last time i played around with FF but don't remember what the cause was.

As to Strangers, the last time I played FF was 18 months ago and that one was 'the' mod to play which prompted me to load the original FF.

Thanks,

tommyboy

Quote from: Pariah on January 31, 2008, 09:56:06 PM
Hey Stumpy,

Your instructions were right on the number. I went ahead and reinstalled the mod (combining the five files again, so now I think i have them in my FFv3dR folder twice and I saw the Readme but it was greek to me. Your instructions were very similar and yet made much more sense to me.

I was able to start it up and look at some of the characters and about ticked myself. I chided my 11 year old when he made a character that cost 30K. 30K is a drop in the bucket for a lot of those Legionaires (I think I saw a couple who were in the 111K range). I don't know why I was expecting them to be in the 20-30K range. But then again, I never was a fan of the Big Red S syndrome.

I test drove what I thought a superpowered Thor would be (I actually got him up to like 50K) and had him go against Timberwolf. Now granted it had been a few years since I read a comic with Timberwolf in it so him not being phased by Thor's hammer strike and then him thrall-slapping Thor multiple times wasn't pretty. Thor won by the way, he only had to connect 3 times to drop Twolf.

There is a few characters that when I clik on them I get a empty box or an actual box. I ran into this issue last time i played around with FF but don't remember what the cause was.

As to Strangers, the last time I played FF was 18 months ago and that one was 'the' mod to play which prompted me to load the original FF.

Thanks,

As the person who made the Mod, I feel required to address your post.
Overpowered: Yes, by some people's standards, all my Mods have overpowered heroes and villains. In context, against the other characters in the Mod, they are scaled  more or less correctly. If you want an LSH Mod with characters who are all 5-20K, make your own. I make the characters I have read about with the powers and abilities I have seen. I don't hamstring them to some arbitrary level of power that equals 30k, and I find heroes with only two or three powers incredibly dull to play. Those are my personal preferences. They aren't "right" or "wrong", just my preferences.
And when making a Mod about a team containing Superboy, Supergirl, Mon-El, Ultra-Boy etc, unless every single map is 50% kryptonite, 50% lead, you end up making foes and friends a little stronger and tougher so that missions aren't all five seconds long. I was aware of this when playtesting the first mission where the LSH fights Superboy. If the gap between him and them was true to that in the comics, he wiped the floor with everyone in about ten seconds. So I made Timber Wolf a little stronger (he has gone up against Mon-El and Superboy single-handedly in the comics, and is supposedly 1/3 or 1/2 as strong, according to some accounts). and then everyone else, too. That way the player stood a chance against Superboy.
There are weaker members, and one mission specifically limits you to these members, and is even tougher than fighting Superboy.

White boxes: What I released was episode one of a planned four episode mod. Some characters did not appear in Episode one, so I did not include their meshes, so if you select them, you get a white box.

But the Mod is what it is. Don't like it? Don't play it.

Pariah

Tommy,

Please understand that my observations about the characters in LSH was not to offend you in any way. Because of the Big Red S and other super-supers, if I would of made a LSH mod, I too would of probably went the same route of bumping everyone elses stats up.

My reaction was just that, a reaction, never I had seen a character in FF cost so much. I think when I first got the original FF, I tried to make the most expensive character I could and he topped out around something like 40K.

The reason I opted to install the LSH mod was more for my boys who are playing the original game right now becuase they are fans of the new LSH cartoon.

As I have stated before, I am not a fan of Superman and his ilk, yes, I grew up reading Marvel and would only sometimes read the Teen Titans or the Outsiders from DC. From what I have seen of the mod you have done an excellent job so please keep up the good work. You are doing something that I couldn't do.

Previsionary

Gee golly gee, sir tommy:

you've been awfully heavy handed and slightly over-reactionary in the past few days. Perhaps it'd be ideal to take a moment before posting to cool you jets and respond nicely to someone who wasn't even rude in his original assessments.

Pariah

If I may; silly question time. Eighteen months ago when I was visiting this forum I asked the dreaded question: has a flying melee attack been implimented? The answer I got was that it wasn't possible at that time but you could simulate it (poorly).

Now I want to ask that same question; got 'flying melee'?

The reason I am asking is because in Tommy's LSH mod, a couple of characters had attacks that indicated they were flying melees (only character I remember is Dawnstar) BUT when I was making my psuedo Thor, I saw a melee attack called, "flier melee" but was too chicken to try to use it.

Thanks,

tommyboy

Quote from: Pariah on February 01, 2008, 09:49:21 AM
If I may; silly question time. Eighteen months ago when I was visiting this forum I asked the dreaded question: has a flying melee attack been implimented? The answer I got was that it wasn't possible at that time but you could simulate it (poorly).

Now I want to ask that same question; got 'flying melee'?

The reason I am asking is because in Tommy's LSH mod, a couple of characters had attacks that indicated they were flying melees (only character I remember is Dawnstar) BUT when I was making my psuedo Thor, I saw a melee attack called, "flier melee" but was too chicken to try to use it.

Thanks,

It's still simulated, (but better now). I didn't implement it terribly well, or terribly consistently in the LSH Mod (because it emerged just before I was about to release the Mod).
If I recall correctly, the "trick" is custom ranged anims that look like fying melees, then powers that, though ranged, have very short range crushing effects, using said "flying_melee" animations. The result, a power used when flying that looks and acts like a melee.
I may be mis-remembering though, its a while since I played with it.
TaskmasterX has posted more cogently on the subject.

stumpy

I think the efforts in this area were the topic of a thread a few months back.